The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Postal Service: 7,500 workers, $20,000 buyouts

Anything related to investing, including crypto

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The Postal Service is offering a $20,000 buyout to thousands of veteran workers as part of its bid to eliminate 7,500 administrative jobs, the agency announced Thursday.
zsEN4l-Jpaw

More...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Paul Gallo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Mar 24, 2011
NYC
this is crazy... So much for the "safe and secure government jobs"......

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
this is good news. maybe its the start of shrinking government

Paul Gallo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Mar 24, 2011
NYC
@ globalwealth - true, government may be shrinking, however I wonder were these newly unemployed will go with limited skill sets....

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
The postal service is required to pre-fund all future benefits. They are claiming they have overpaid by tens of billions of dollars. They kind of get a bum rap for losing money, relative to other public/private benefit plans since others are underfunded, some of which are shockingly so.

I think their latest qtr loss of 300+ million included $2billion in prefunds.

Just think how bad of shape other public/private pension funds would be in if they had to do the same.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
I wonder were these newly unemployed will go with limited skill sets....

that is their problem to find out. every worker, self employed or otherwise, should always be improving themselves and their skillsets.

keep in mind tax dollars (as well as a shrinking revenue stream from postage) pay their salaries. the usps is a dinosaur that needs to die, or at a minimum shrink dramatically.

if it weren't illegal for private carriers to deliver 1st class mail, the usps could be fully privatized. then it has to compete like any other business instead of having the federal backstop.

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
this is good news. maybe its the start of shrinking government

exactly

I wonder were these newly unemployed will go with limited skill sets....

That's their problem.

hahaha i was going to comment on this but you said it perfectly below.

keep in mind tax dollars (as well as a shrinking revenue stream from postage) pay their salaries. the usps is a dinosaur that needs to die, or at a minimum shrink dramatically.

if it weren't illegal for private carriers to deliver 1st class mail, the usps could be fully privatized. then it has to compete like any other business instead of having the federal backstop.

Im excited to know that so many parents are going to see this article soon, hows that for "job security" mom?

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Funny story:

At our very last meet up w/Robert Kiyosaki (the one where he screamed at us and called us all "f***ing losers" for spending any time on the internet), he had us watch him do some video shorts for his website (for the INSIDERS's section).

I remember him evaluating a piece of property that had a long-term lease as a post office, in a middle- sized town. And he characterized this as "a smokin' deal, because the US Postal Service isn't going away, so that's a sure long term lease."

And I remember sitting there, thinking: Email is replacing regular mail at an alarming rate, so this is NOT a smokin' deal. It's like buying a buggy whip factory when some guy named Henry Ford is building cars down the street.

I'd just read (online) a few weeks before our meetup back then that the overall volume of mail sent via US Post Office had gone down enormously over the past few years.

And I wanted to point this out to RK, but since he'd already called us losers for spending time online, it didn't seem like a wise thing to do-- so I kept my mouth shut.

I wonder how many post office locations have closed since that meet up?

-Russ H.

NoMoneyDown

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Aug 28, 2007
Round Rock, TX
Isn't there a provision in one of the early documents (Constitution? Amendment? Other?) that basically says the federal government HAS to have a mail system? I know it can probably be scratched with a majority vote, but I think until then there HAS to be such a system.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
that basically says the federal government HAS to have a mail system?

Russ,
I didn't say the USPS was not created and granted power by the Constitution.

I was disagreeing with the above statement that the Federal Govt HAS to have a postal system.

There is nothing requiring the govt to maintain a postal system to my knowledge.

Paul Gallo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Mar 24, 2011
NYC
@ THEBIZ... if the unemployed end up on the dole and further draining tax dollars then it becomes everyone's problem, wouldn't you agree?

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
@ THEBIZ... if the unemployed end up on the dole and further draining tax dollars then it becomes everyone's problem, wouldn't you agree?

I know this was not directed at me, but I will respond anyway.

As long as their income is already subsidized/provided by tax dollars, it is already everyone's problem.

I mean really, where do you think federal and state worker's salaries come from?

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY

Yes and no. I would rather pay unemployment than have them make 50 k per year. I would say they produce nothing at their jobs so we pay 50 for them to do nothing or 20k for unemployment lol. On a more serious note though it will be a good thing, just because the car is driving toward the cliff dosent mean we shouldn't hit the brakes, any non stastainingble system will in fact eventually end. Maybe now these people will have to get jobs that actually produce something. I just think too many jobs for cops, postal workers, fireman etc is ridiculous. I believe we need them but we do not need 3 people doing 1 persons job, any system should be treated like a business.

FDJustin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Apr 30, 2010
Canada
Why? The governments already take money from the citizens to fund these systems, so why should these systems- Already funded- Be treated like a business- to produce profit?

Without treating it that way, you stand to have a more altruistic approach to the service provided. I cringe to think of a society where I have to pay a scaled fee for an officers time, or something that would feel like a racketeering scheme for fire "protection".

*Too many people trained and hired for a service such as fire fighting or the police force means there's room to transfer these people to other places that are at a shortage.

Last edited:

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
Valid points Justin I just feel like making things operating like a business keep them efficient and if they can not remain efficient someone else will come in and figure out how to do it.

Paul Gallo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Mar 24, 2011
NYC
Yes and no. I would rather pay unemployment than have them make 50 k per year. I would say they produce nothing at their jobs so we pay 50 for them to do nothing or 20k for unemployment lol. On a more serious note though it will be a good thing, just because the car is driving toward the cliff dosent mean we shouldn't hit the brakes, any non stastainingble system will in fact eventually end. Maybe now these people will have to get jobs that actually produce something. I just think too many jobs for cops, postal workers, fireman etc is ridiculous. I believe we need them but we do not need 3 people doing 1 persons job, any system should be treated like a business.

good point...
similar to the idea of outsourcing.... outsource your less skilled work, retrain the workers for higher skilled jobs and you can grow a company or an entire economy. Unfortunately with the political landscape as it is, i don't see any good changes ( job retraining tools, job placement assistance ) occurring. I do see more entitlements....

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.