- Joined
- Aug 31, 2007
- Messages
- 780
Rep Bank
$865
$865
User Power: 25%
This is completely off-topic and not nearly as much fun as the poker threads in this spot, but I've been off the forum for most of the week and I thought I'd share where we've been.
Our son David is originally from Juarez. This past year, he's been really driven to remember his roots and has organized trips to Juarez with local area high school students. They stay at the orphanage David came from, do a project and play with the kids. This last time they taught the kids the "Soldier Dance" - does anyone know what I'm talking about? I might have the song wrong. Anyway it was hilarious to see them recreate it - with the kids going right when they should have gone left and everybody was running into each other.
The most sobering thing this trip was a visit to an orphanage I haven't seen in over 2 years. It's definitely in better shape then it was back then, but it's still tragic. David and I were playing tour guide to the board of El Paso Community Foundation and we put the "Jovencitas" orphanage on the tour. They have a new building under construction, which is good news. The bad news is that there are still 34 girls (and the director) in a building about 1700 SF. They are in a very scary part of Juarez and so can not go outside. Their one car is broken, so the girls have all been in this tiny place for months - never going outside. They put mattresses on the floor between the bunk beds, so there is no place to walk when they sleep. During the day, the mattresses go under the bunks and the girls can only stay on their bed (to study, read and write), go to the kitchen (they have meals in 3 shifts) or go to the bathroom. There is one bathroom and one washing machine. The girls were well-beheaved, the place was clean. The plan is for them to stay for 6 months, but most beg to stay longer - there is just nothing else for them. They've been pulled off the streets (by the police) where they were working as prostitutes (age 7 - 14) or taken away from horribly abusive families.
It's one thing to read about places like that...but to actually see it. I have to say, I think I'm pretty tough. I've been through some horrible spots. When I lived down there during the adoption process (3 years ago). I helped out with the orphanage and one day ended up holding the hand of an 8 year old girl during her gyn exam after she had been violently raped by an orphanage director. I couldn't cry because if I wanted her to be strong, I certainly had to be. (She wouldn't let go of me and so I just went along as she went through all the med exams. She came to Sergio's orphanage, got therapy and was successfully adopted.)
So, I thought I could handle seeing this orphanage. But, when I saw their pantry I just broke out crying. 34 girls..... all they had was potatoes and canned tomatoes. We made arrangements to make sure there was food at Costco yesterday for a week or so. But, what then? And what of the girls who again, today, had no chance to feel the sun on their face?
Now, we're back in Phoenix. But, a big part of my heart is still down in Juarez.
Our son David is originally from Juarez. This past year, he's been really driven to remember his roots and has organized trips to Juarez with local area high school students. They stay at the orphanage David came from, do a project and play with the kids. This last time they taught the kids the "Soldier Dance" - does anyone know what I'm talking about? I might have the song wrong. Anyway it was hilarious to see them recreate it - with the kids going right when they should have gone left and everybody was running into each other.
The most sobering thing this trip was a visit to an orphanage I haven't seen in over 2 years. It's definitely in better shape then it was back then, but it's still tragic. David and I were playing tour guide to the board of El Paso Community Foundation and we put the "Jovencitas" orphanage on the tour. They have a new building under construction, which is good news. The bad news is that there are still 34 girls (and the director) in a building about 1700 SF. They are in a very scary part of Juarez and so can not go outside. Their one car is broken, so the girls have all been in this tiny place for months - never going outside. They put mattresses on the floor between the bunk beds, so there is no place to walk when they sleep. During the day, the mattresses go under the bunks and the girls can only stay on their bed (to study, read and write), go to the kitchen (they have meals in 3 shifts) or go to the bathroom. There is one bathroom and one washing machine. The girls were well-beheaved, the place was clean. The plan is for them to stay for 6 months, but most beg to stay longer - there is just nothing else for them. They've been pulled off the streets (by the police) where they were working as prostitutes (age 7 - 14) or taken away from horribly abusive families.
It's one thing to read about places like that...but to actually see it. I have to say, I think I'm pretty tough. I've been through some horrible spots. When I lived down there during the adoption process (3 years ago). I helped out with the orphanage and one day ended up holding the hand of an 8 year old girl during her gyn exam after she had been violently raped by an orphanage director. I couldn't cry because if I wanted her to be strong, I certainly had to be. (She wouldn't let go of me and so I just went along as she went through all the med exams. She came to Sergio's orphanage, got therapy and was successfully adopted.)
So, I thought I could handle seeing this orphanage. But, when I saw their pantry I just broke out crying. 34 girls..... all they had was potatoes and canned tomatoes. We made arrangements to make sure there was food at Costco yesterday for a week or so. But, what then? And what of the girls who again, today, had no chance to feel the sun on their face?
Now, we're back in Phoenix. But, a big part of my heart is still down in Juarez.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
