• Discuss Entrepreneurship | Start-Ups | Starting a Business | Wealth | Money | Success | Investing
  1. Escape the Grind. Resurrect The Dream. Live Happily Ever After.

Become an UNSCRIPTED™Entrepreneur.

Don’t just build a business—build a life and a legacy. UNSCRIPTED™ Entrepreneurship is a specific subset of business creation that awakens dreams, frees time, and explodes incomes—but more importantly, it changes lives.

Make no mistake; this isn’t something you “try”— this is something you live.
    KICKSTART YOUR PERSONAL REVOLUTION TODAY.
    Get The Book(s) Download More Info Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Change Yourself.
Change Your Life.
Change The World.

Tired of broke bloggers giving you advice? Within minutes, get millionaire advice from real entrepreneurs who live the dream.

Personal mantras and cold showers

Discussion in 'General Mindset, Motivation, Beliefs' started by UncommonWay, May 18, 2017.

FORUM SEARCH

Need answers about entrepreneurship? Search FIRST! More than likely your entrepreneurial topic has already been discussed.
Powered by Google Site Search.
  1. UncommonWay

UncommonWay Bronze Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,297
    One of the things I've been doing for the past month or two that I think has helped strengthen my "resolve" mental muscle is the following ritual that I do each morning:

1. Hop in a warm shower, shave and lather up
    2. Turn the water all the way to cold while continuing to stand in the water spray
    3. Rinse off and slowly turn around in the shower, getting nice and cold, while reciting the words to both Rudyard Kipling's "If" and William Ernest Henley's "Invictus"
    If you're not familiar with the words to those two poems, they mesh perfectly with the mindset that is required to become a Fastlaner. I won't post them here because you can Google them, but I have those two poems memorized and they have become my personal mantras in everyday life. I seriously recite them from memory...a lot.

When I'm faced with a situation that requires "no quitting effort", the line about "If you can fill the unforgiving minute with sixty seconds' worth of distance run" comes to mind. And when I feel doubt, I remember the line about "If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you, but make allowance for their doubting, too."

Bottom line: little tests of willpower, repeated often, strengthen your willpower muscle. And personal mantras are like programming the code of success into your brain. I highly recommend both.

2. LuckyPup

LuckyPup Digital Wantrepreneur Read The Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $585
    Great poems, and I've meant to memorize both. Haven't yet, but will. My poem of choice is "Don't Quit," by John Greenleaf Whittier. I'm sure many on here will scoff at this stuff, but it's gotten me through some low points in life.

Don't Quit
    by
    John Greenleaf Whittier

When things go wrong as they sometimes will,
    When the road you're trudging seems all up hill,
    When the funds are low and the debts are high
    And you want to smile, but you have to sigh,
    When care is pressing you down a bit,
    Rest if you must, but don't you quit.
    Life is strange with its twists and turns
    As every one of us sometimes learns
    And many a failure comes about
    When he might have won had he stuck it out;
    Don't give up though the pace seems slow—
    You may succeed with another blow.
    Success is failure turned inside out—
    The silver tint of the clouds of doubt,
    And you never can tell just how close you are,
    It may be near when it seems so far;
    So stick to the fight when you're hardest hit—
    It's when things seem worst that you must not quit.

3. mike24601

mike24601 Bronze Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,924
    I used to have a typewritten copy of Rudyard Kipling's 'If' on my pegboard which I would look at daily. Good stuff. For a time I also did the cold showers thing and went a step further by sleeping on a very hard traditional Japanese futon, on the floor. Try working yourself up to several minutes of meditative cold water therapy. The key is to relax and stop hyperventilating. Eventually you can stay in there a long, long, time and burn off body fat in the process. I found that my mood went through the roof and I had more energy and focus when I shocked my body with cold water.

AgainstAllOdds and LuckyPup like this.
  4. Skonopi

Skonopi New Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $59
    Instead of pouring warm water on me, I jump into a cold shower every morning since two months or so. Highly recommend that for You Fastlaners. Not a pleasurable feeling at first, but gives some kind of satisfaction after :) It literally makes me to step out of my comfort zone for a little while every morning, creates a psychological habit of overcoming my "oh-nos" and makes me feel fresh, focused and aware. It also boosts the immune system and it's totally free, how cool is that?

Have a fruitful day!

vinylawesome, NFT, MJ DeMarco and 3 others like this.
  5. GMSI7D

GMSI7D Silver Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,152

looks like a military training

you will finish like that in a few years :

size0.jpg

Skonopi likes this.
  6. Skonopi

Rep Bank:
    $59
    Well, nowadays stepping into military career path seems like a really fast lane, if you know what I mean ;)

But really, give cold water a try, see yourself.

Nate L. likes this.
  7. Nate L.

Nate L. New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $32
    My friend has been consistently doing this for about 6 months. It has quite a bit of benefits. He told me it has improved even his hair and skin complexion. Besides the fact that it helps increase blood circulation and some other cool health benefits.

He also sees it has a challenge to conquer in the morning. I have started somewhat recently and am trying to stick with it!

Skonopi likes this.
  8. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $214,358
    Admin Post
    Interesting, hasn't there been some research with respect to abrupt cold water events?

I know it raises metabolism which is why after ocean swimming you usually want to eat your heart out.

UnrealCreative likes this.
  9. daru

daru Bronze Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $421
    Been doing cold showers second thing in the morning to really wake up (trying to rise early). It sure make me feel great afterwards!

Wim Hof is all the rage now on the internet if one wants more info about possible health benefits of cold exposure.

10. luniac

luniac Gold Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $5,674
    Ahh it warms my heart to read about another cold shower disciple.
    Like wim hof says "The cold is my new warm friend"
    i been doing it for almost a year, often after a nice jump roping session to get the sweat going.
    Never going back.

UncommonWay and Skonopi like this.
  11. amp0193

amp0193 Platinum Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $26,221
    In Sweden, I was surprised at the number of older folks who were taking short swims in the freezing cold ocean at 6am.

Maybe there's something to it.

daru likes this.
  12. daru

daru Bronze Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $421
    Yeah, but swedes are weird!? ;)

13. amp0193

amp0193 Platinum Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $26,221
    You leave babies outside in strollers in the middle of winter

daru likes this.
  14. daru

Rep Bank:
    $421
    Haha, this is actually true! Got to start early with this cold exposure stuff.

15. amp0193

Rep Bank:
    $26,221
  16. unaided

unaided Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $313
    -Cold water plunges stimulate vagus nerve (main nerve of parasympathetic nervous system). There's also something called the "dive reflex" that's triggered when you dive into cold water.
    -Additionally, cold water helps to constrict everything, so you flush out inflammation and lymph (waste drainage system of the body)
    -Shivering is one of the most thermogenic (calorie-burning) things you can do - so yes it can help with weight loss and metabolism.
    -cold and heat therapy are stresses on the body...and you get a rebound adaptation. Health is being able to adapt to your body, so if you're able to adapt more quickly to cold and hot environments, it's a signal of strong health. No different than exercise being a stress that leads to rebound strength/endurance improvement. With heat/sauna therapy - "heat shock proteins" and their roles in anti-aging...similar things happen with cold.

I always think of our language "Chill out", "He needs to cool off", "Chill pill"....or in the old-school movies/sitcoms when someone is hysterical and someone splashes cold water on their face to grab their attention.

I had panic attacks following acute mold toxicity - cold showers helped get me through some of the bad episodes.

17. luniac

luniac Gold Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $5,674
    eventually you won't even shiver, ur metabolism will increase to maintain core temperature.

18. Alxander

Alxander Bronze Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,726
    I always end cold, but the shower isn't cold enough for me anymore. Need to try ice baths :smuggy:

19. luniac

Rep Bank:
    $5,674
    double the length of time.

20. Alxander

Alxander Bronze Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,726
    Can do that, sometimes it just is colder than usual, don't know why though.

Do some of you just shower completely cold each day? Will you get clean enough?:clench:

21. luniac

Rep Bank:
    $5,674
    water temperature is affected by weather, its summer here in nyc and the coldest water is not challenging enough for me, but in the winter that shit is fuckin liquid ice!

uhh i better not comment on hygiene. I rarely shower with soap... hands only. lmao!

22. Skonopi

Rep Bank:
    $59
    In my mind extremes are bad for you and everything has to be balanced. Use water cold enough to challenge you but not so cold to make you forget the soap Yes, I do shower completely cold everyday, but probably my "cold" is different than yours and it depends on lots of factors.
    Cheers!

Wysłane z mojego SM-G920F przy użyciu Tapatalka

luniac likes this.
  23. letter9

letter9 Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $332
    Great poem.

How long do you stay under cold water?
    I do that too. But at the moment last 15-20 seconds. ;)

24. InspireHD

InspireHD Bronze Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,784
    I tried his breathing technique, which requires 30 some deep inhales and exhales to saturate the body with oxygen. At the end of the technique, you exhale and at the bottom of the exhale you hold your breath for as long as you can. I was sort of skeptical about it, but the first attempt I held my breath for about 1:50 and then doing it again immediately after, I held my breath for over 2 minutes. Keep in mind this is after exhaling and not inhaling again. I can't remember a time I've held my breath for that long in my entire life.

And for others, from my experience, you start with the warmer water so that the soap will lather. Then, turn to cold to rinse and do the cold shower thing.

25. Skonopi

Rep Bank:
    $59
    I can guarantee, the soap lathers in cold water as well :D

UncommonWay likes this.