The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

People here with coding knowledge, I have a question.

Idea threads

mav55339

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jun 2, 2023
I have decided that I am going to develop or have developed chrome extensions as my fastlane endeavor. Where is the best place to find out how to build chrome extensions?
I have done some research and chrome extensions are a lot cheaper to develop than an app if I decide to hire an experienced developer. Also chrome extensions have more potential users per extension than the apps do. I am leaning toward the latter and having it developed for me. However, I'd like to learn how to do it and try for myself first.

Thanks.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

shashikr

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
May 8, 2022
india
I have decided that I am going to develop or have developed chrome extensions as my fastlane endeavor. Where is the best place to find out how to build chrome extensions?
I have done some research and chrome extensions are a lot cheaper to develop than an app if I decide to hire an experienced developer. Also chrome extensions have more potential users per extension than the apps do. I am leaning toward the latter and having it developed for me. However, I'd like to learn how to do it and try for myself first.

Thanks.
To learn how to build an extension, you can try these methods -
1. Official Chrome Extension Developer Documentation
2. Google Chrome Developers YouTube Channel
3. Udemy courses on Chrome extension development
4. Stack Overflow for specific questions
5. Chrome Extension Samples on GitHub

mav55339

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jun 2, 2023
To learn how to build an extension, you can try these methods -
1. Official Chrome Extension Developer Documentation
2. Google Chrome Developers YouTube Channel
3. Udemy courses on Chrome extension development
4. Stack Overflow for specific questions
5. Chrome Extension Samples on GitHub
Thank you very much

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria

Thanks.
Before I answer, I need to know this:

What problem are you solving by building this hypothetical extension?

Saad Khan

Amazon Ads Guy
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 14, 2021
Pakistan

mav55339

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jun 2, 2023
Before I answer, I need to know this:

What problem are you solving by building this hypothetical extension?
The vast majority, but not all, Chrome Extensions solve problems for people by making a process easier and or faster.

Tau Ceti

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
330%
Sep 15, 2014
Stockholm, Sweden

Thanks.
I am building a SaaS on top of an extension.

Extensions are great but they also have pitfalls that you need to be aware off. in a sense they are more like Android/IOS apps than websites.

Read this for a quick intro on how to build them: Creating a Chrome Extension with React and TypeScript

mav55339

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jun 2, 2023

Extensions are great but they also have pitfalls that you need to be aware off. in a sense they are more like Android/IOS apps than websites.

Read this for a quick intro on how to build them: Creating a Chrome Extension with React and

Read this for a quick intro on how to build them: Creating a Chrome Extension with React and TypeScript
Thanks. Is it bad that they are more like android/IOS apps than websites?

Tau Ceti

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
330%
Sep 15, 2014
Stockholm, Sweden
Thanks. Is it bad that they are more like android/IOS apps than websites?
It can be if you are careless (Not saying you are).

Just like phone apps, extensions need go through a review process and cannot be instantly updated if you discover a bug or if something doesn't work as expected.

So say you discover a bug in your extension on Monday morning around 9 am, you fix the bug and do some manual testing to ensure that the bug is fixed. You decide to submit your new version around 3PM on Monday. Then the reviewers can take up to 2 to 3 days to review your changes. That means for 3 days your customers have a broken extension that may not work.

In the meantime, you get messages from users asking you why something is not working and when it will work again. So you need to be prepared to educate your customers a little a bit because 99% of people have no idea about software and do not understand why certain things like extensions and apps cannot be updated quickly.

So that is something to think about when developing it. I suggest you do not skip the QA process and write lost of tests(automated tests and manual tests) as they will catch a lot of bugs.

It is also good to have a checklist that you can go through before you submit each version. This will avoid you forgetting critical things.

mav55339

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jun 2, 2023
It can be if you are careless (Not saying you are).

Just like phone apps, extensions need go through a review process and cannot be instantly updated if you discover a bug or if something doesn't work as expected.

So say you discover a bug in your extension on Monday morning around 9 am, you fix the bug and do some manual testing to ensure that the bug is fixed. You decide to submit your new version around 3PM on Monday. Then the reviewers can take up to 2 to 3 days to review your changes. That means for 3 days your customers have a broken extension that may not work.

In the meantime, you get messages from users asking you why something is not working and when it will work again. So you need to be prepared to educate your customers a little a bit because 99% of people have no idea about software and do not understand why certain things like extensions and apps cannot be updated quickly.

So that is something to think about when developing it. I suggest you do not skip the QA process and write lost of tests(automated tests and manual tests) as they will catch a lot of bugs.

It is also good to have a checklist that you can go through before you submit each version. This will avoid you forgetting critical things.
Oh I see thanks. I was already thinking about that and that's why I am considering paying an experienced programmer to build it. From the research I've done it's much cheaper than having an app built.

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
The vast majority, but not all, Chrome Extensions solve problems for people by making a process easier and or faster.
Could you be more specific? What exact problem will YOU be solving?

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
I don't have the exact idea yet but the point still stands.
With no problem to solve you've made no point mate.

Looking for a solution to a problem you cant specify is the quickest way to waste time.

Have you read the books which are the subject of this forum? The millionaire fastlane and Unscripted ?

mav55339

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jun 2, 2023
With no problem to solve you've made no point mate.

Looking for a solution to a problem you cant specify is the quickest way to waste time.

Have you read the books which are the subject of this forum? The millionaire fastlane and Unscripted ?
It will be a chrome extension that saves people and/or businesses time and money by making a process easier and/or faster. Why are you making this complicated?

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
It will be a chrome extension that saves people and/or businesses time and money by making a process easier and/or faster. Why are you making this complicated?
When you find that process drop us a line about it, chances are chrome extensions will not be the way to go.

mav55339

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jun 2, 2023
When you find that process drop us a line about it, chances are chrome extensions will not be the way to go.
Sounds like you're here just to find out other people's ideas.

mav55339

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jun 2, 2023
Ideas are a dime a dozen.
You would know that if you actually had any.
I think the way I am going to do this is I will go on to reddit and other places like forums and ask people what type of chrome extension could I build/have built for them that would bring value to them in their personal and/or business life.
I'd ask the question in levels, as in,
What type of chrome extension would you pay 5 dollars a month for?
Then I'll ask the same question for 10, 20, and 30 dollars a month.
Obviously, the chrome extensions that they name for the higher dollar amounts provides more value to them.
This also will be the market giving me ideas in a way meaning I don't have to come up with a random chrome extension and see if the market will like it. They tell me beforehand.
What do you think about this plan?

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
I think the way I am going to do this is I will go on to reddit and other places like forums and ask people what type of chrome extension could I build/have built for them that would bring value to them in their personal and/or business life.
I'd ask the question in levels, as in,
Obviously, the chrome extensions that they name for the higher dollar amounts provides more value to them.
This also will be the market giving me ideas in a way meaning I don't have to come up with a random chrome extension and see if the market will like it. They tell me beforehand.
What do you think about this plan?
Its a start, yes.
You can also kickstart your research on the marketmind like this:

1. Search term 'i hate google chrome' or 'i need an extension for google chrome' or 'the things that i hate about google chrome' with -site:google.com offcourse.

2. Cross reference which are the most popular extension in lists like this:

Make a list, install them and check them out
Write out their value attributes and figure out where you can skew value.
Nobody said that an extension has to be brand new.
Maybe there are some which are done badly ATM.

3. Look for extensions which serve a particular niche.
Example: 17 Best Youtube Chrome Extensions You Need to Use in 2023
Example 2: Search for 'best extensions for copywritters' or 'best extensions for photographer'

Look for a underserved niche.
This approach has the benefit of better targeting your market.
You can find people which are say copywritters on forums, FB groups, reddit, quora etc.
If you`ll be making an extension in their niche you can engage them right away.
If you go to broad, you`ll get suggestions which are too broad with no way to determine the scale of the problem.

4. Realize that the chrome market is limited to desktop users which use chrome and mobile users (of which there are a lot more) which use chrome.
Figure out a way to go browser independent, meaning the same code should be deployable for extensions for firefox, safari and edge.
AND make sure that you can make an app later, which is connected to the extensions.
You dont have to make an app now, just make sure you can, and the software is built in a way that would allow that in the future, use APIs.

Nazca

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
May 3, 2023
France
He is not making this complicated. These questions are essential. You need to know where you go. You aren't specific enough. Maybe you just don't want to share it there because you're afraid that someone steals your idea (which is not likely to happen as explained in TMF ). Or maybe you do not know exactly what you want to do.

It is okay to not know everything about the process and the direction can change. Though, you need to know what exact problem you are solving. Otherwise what is the value of what you are going to build?

Is it for your self financial & freedom desire? Or is it to actually help people.

Who are the people/businesses you are aiming? Which processes are you going to fasten? What will make them save so much time? How do they actually lose their time?

Sounds like money chasing. Would you even answer this question if someone asked this to you?

Focus your questions on problems, not money.

Also, it is great you are motivated and that you start taking action for your project. Keep it up.

Marco L

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Nov 6, 2017
Germany
Its a start, yes.
You can also kickstart your research on the marketmind like this:

1. Search term 'i hate google chrome' or 'i need an extension for google chrome' or 'the things that i hate about google chrome' with -site:google.com offcourse.

2. Cross reference which are the most popular extension in lists like this:

Make a list, install them and check them out
Write out their value attributes and figure out where you can skew value.
Nobody said that an extension has to be brand new.
Maybe there are some which are done badly ATM.

3. Look for extensions which serve a particular niche.
Example: 17 Best Youtube Chrome Extensions You Need to Use in 2023
Example 2: Search for 'best extensions for copywritters' or 'best extensions for photographer'

Look for a underserved niche.
This approach has the benefit of better targeting your market.
You can find people which are say copywritters on forums, FB groups, reddit, quora etc.
If you`ll be making an extension in their niche you can engage them right away.
If you go to broad, you`ll get suggestions which are too broad with no way to determine the scale of the problem.

4. Realize that the chrome market is limited to desktop users which use chrome and mobile users (of which there are a lot more) which use chrome.
Figure out a way to go browser independent, meaning the same code should be deployable for extensions for firefox, safari and edge.
AND make sure that you can make an app later, which is connected to the extensions.
You dont have to make an app now, just make sure you can, and the software is built in a way that would allow that in the future, use APIs.

Thank you for describing your process so clear. This helped me a lot to start my research. I adapted verbatim what you described for WordPress plugins.
While the concept isn't difficult, I struggled a bit to get started with my research. I had a "researchers block," so to speak.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.