Hello everyone,
I recently picked up The Millionaire Fastlane and joined the forum. Excellent book and excellent site.
While reading through the first chapters of the book, I noticed that MJ DeMarco put quite a bit of emphases on staying out of debt and only buying what you really need and can afford.
However, he also says that the only debt he currently has is his mortgage. If you have the money to pay the house off, why pay interest on the mortgage year after year and after 20-30 years you end up paying 3 times as much for your house due to interest? I'm assuming that MJ can certainly pay off his house right now, but for some reason he doesn't.
The only logical reason that I can think of right now is that he already paid off more than half of his mortgage and now the majority of the monthly payments go directly to principal rather than bank interest. In this case, paying it all upfront would not make such a big difference.
Thanks in advance for any clarifications.
I recently picked up The Millionaire Fastlane and joined the forum. Excellent book and excellent site.
While reading through the first chapters of the book, I noticed that MJ DeMarco put quite a bit of emphases on staying out of debt and only buying what you really need and can afford.
However, he also says that the only debt he currently has is his mortgage. If you have the money to pay the house off, why pay interest on the mortgage year after year and after 20-30 years you end up paying 3 times as much for your house due to interest? I'm assuming that MJ can certainly pay off his house right now, but for some reason he doesn't.
The only logical reason that I can think of right now is that he already paid off more than half of his mortgage and now the majority of the monthly payments go directly to principal rather than bank interest. In this case, paying it all upfront would not make such a big difference.
Thanks in advance for any clarifications.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
