The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Pay my Rent through Ecommerce in 2016

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

marklov

It is a Tiger That Devours Me but I am The Tiger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
've been shopping for a desk. I don't want some piece of crap particle board, but also don't have the means to spend 1-2k on a desk like the ones I've found here,

I certainly didn't have a 2k budget to spend on mine and I live in a studio apartment so not cramped but certainly couldn't hold anything too huge.

I bought the Ikea/Alex drawer table combo with a curved table addition

linnmon-alex-table-white__0199907_PE358592_S4.JPG

linnmon-adils-corner-table-white__0189128_PE343588_S4.JPG

Lots of options to add drawers, shelves and whatnot but I kept mine as is.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AustinS28

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Sep 25, 2014
Manhattan, NY
Talked to my brothr and he is going to make me a desk similar to one in the list I provided.

2q1h0kx.jpg

It'll be a bit smaller because I don't have a huge space for it and it won't have the ipad holder or the same texture, but he said $75 for the wood and 20-25 hours tops in labor. I'd rather pay him anyways.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Talked to my brothr and he is going to make me a desk similar to one in the list I provided.

2q1h0kx.jpg

It'll be a bit smaller because I don't have a huge space for it and it won't have the ipad holder or the same texture, but he said $75 for the wood and 20-25 hours tops in labor. I'd rather pay him anyways.

Seriously? A $100 ikea desk wouldn't have worked for you? At this point in your business, what kind of desk to buy should not even be in your head.

AustinS28

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Sep 25, 2014
Manhattan, NY
Seriously? A $100 ikea desk wouldn't have worked for you? At this point in your business, what kind of desk to buy should not even be in your head.

I definitely got a little carried away when looking for a desk. I have had a philosphy on clothing and furniture that spending a little more for quality actually works well in the long run if it'll last for decades. If I came across as budgeting 1000s for a desk that wasn't my intention. $150 or less was my initial budget.

ClaytonAlbright

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 25, 2015
Cumming, GA
I appreciate the feedback from your experience.

This is exactly why I'm venturing into ebooks and e-commerce. I don't want to be doing this long term. However, I think the niche market I am working with right now has been the best experience of my life working with fast laners (clients) who've actually made it in life financially day in and day out has left me a lot more than financial reward.

I'm trying to build a fitness brand more than a training gym or company and I'm trying to cater to a market different from the mainstream (6 pack secrets crowd) that I think is largely untapped and has much more disposable income and will spend it on the right type of services.

I thought this might be useful. There's an article about a personal trainer who went from almost quitting, to changing his business model and is now making over 1m in a quarter. Instead of employee's he franchises out the brand and has software that automates everything.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/elainep...reaking-1-million-in-one-person-businesses/2/

D

Deleted37035

I'm probably a little late to the party, but I made a badass L-Desk with a shelf using pieced together IKEA pieces.
It was about $150 and looks like a $500-800 desk.

You can also use:
http://www.ikeahackers.net/category/hacks/work-station

Good for inspiration or you can straight up copy a design if you haven't already decided on a desk.

edit: looked for a picture, can't seem to find it. Left the desk in storage when I moved to AZ. If I find it I will post.

Last edited by a moderator:

AustinS28

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Sep 25, 2014
Manhattan, NY
I thought this might be useful. There's an article about a personal trainer who went from almost quitting, to changing his business model and is now making over 1m in a quarter. Instead of employee's he franchises out the brand and has software that automates everything.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/elainep...reaking-1-million-in-one-person-businesses/2/

Thanks buddy, I have seen that guys bsuiness before. Very interesting. They have another chain popping up called orange thoery. It's a gym franchize that has group exercise program.

AustinS28

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Sep 25, 2014
Manhattan, NY
I'm probably a little late to the party, but I made a badass L-Desk with a shelf using pieced together IKEA pieces.
It was about $150 and looks like a $500-800 desk.

You can also use:
http://www.ikeahackers.net/category/hacks/work-station

Good for inspiration or you can straight up copy a design if you haven't already decided on a desk.

edit: looked for a picture, can't seem to find it. Left the desk in storage when I moved to AZ. If I find it I will post.

Thank you, I will definitely have a look!

AustinS28

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Sep 25, 2014
Manhattan, NY
January has been a blur.

A lot of good things.

I added a lot of new customers to my personal training business! Yay New Years Resolutions. One includes a former professional athlete, that was a first. Very exciting and productive January. I haven't been able to post on here like I'd like to with the current schedule.

I then spent about 60 total hours this past week learning wordpress and creating a website. - http://www.trainingjournalonline.com

I am actually pretty damn happy with how it looks. I have some touch ups to do. It'll be a platform to promote my ecommerce products, my personal training business and some other avenues I want to capitlize on in the industry. My services page links to my PT website but Id like to transfer all content onto this eventually.

AustinS28

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Sep 25, 2014
Manhattan, NY
That said, I am hosting on host gator and my site keeps crashing. I installed a cacheing plugin....any advice on speeding up a wordpress site?

JDawg

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Dec 31, 2015
United States
The websites look solid.

Although, I will have to agree that the manhattantrainer.com could use a few tweaks with structure of the content.

I also noticed that there were quite a few empty pages with no content on the new website.

So to clarify, instead of adding content to the manhattantrainer.com blog (because you don't know html), you created a new Wordpress website just for your blog content?

Keep up the good work, man!

AustinS28

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Sep 25, 2014
Manhattan, NY
The websites look solid.

Although, I will have to agree that the manhattantrainer.com could use a few tweaks with structure of the content.

I also noticed that there were quite a few empty pages with no content on the new website.

So to clarify, instead of adding content to the manhattantrainer.com blog (because you don't know html), you created a new Wordpress website just for your blog content?

Keep up the good work, man!

Thank you. Yea so initially I made the website http://www.trainwitha.com for my business. It came out ok. I used wix and their templates. Definitely better options out there.

Wanting a cleaner design and better domain name I went on to hire someone to create manhattantrainer.com. I hired a friend and put $1100 into it. It turned out better than trainwitha.com but unfortunately did not deliver like I would have liked. Several options couldn't be completed such as a calendar for bookings and progress reports. It also took 6 months to build. A very frustrating process and I wasn't satisfied.

Two weeks ago I decided to give building a website another shot. I was inspired by my clients business http://www.sourcingjournalonline.com which is 6 years in the making and was initially built by my client as a side project on Wordpress when he was a year older than me. Two weeks doesn't sound like a lot but I pumped out a lot of hours fooling around with Wordpress, reading web content about how to build and watching YouTube tutorials. I got addicted. We had a blizzard by me this weekend and it turned out the perfect opportunity to get this done. I worked all day on this from Friday-Monday until I finally had something I was happy with. I purchased a template and stock photos on Adobe. I have no idea why people won't invest in their web design but I have friends in the industry with blog and just by purchasing a template and stock photos (cheap on stock.adobe.com) my site looks so much better aesthetically.

It also led an opportunity to create a blog that I can market to trainers and clients. Tackling the industry from both ends is where I see my future going. (I'd like to develop a business that helps others in the industry build their business).

I also work with some special populations that a lot of people don't work with (autistic and Prader Willi syndrome) as personal training clients and want to expand my base. Blogging about it is something I think could help. I had the opportunity to write for the PWS associations most recent newsletter.

I also want to blog about FAQ clients have to attract more customers by helping them with resources regarding working with trainers.

Anyways Drupal, I couldn't waste my time on it. It was too complex. My time is spread thin. Wordpress was a lot easier and cleaner. The website looks a lot better graphically too. The empty pages are because I haven't completed posts for all the sections yet, but I'll be cracking away at it.

I'll have a better chance drawing people to my website with fresh content uploads that happen regularly. It's almost too easy not to have that now. I wrote a few articles a few months ago for Drupal and needed to constantly ask the developer to upload everything. And then he had to format it all and it took way too much time and process to get anything onto that website.

I'd also like to eventually transfer all the content from Manhattan Trainer onto there and maybe redirect manhattan trainer to bring you to training journal.

AustinS28

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Sep 25, 2014
Manhattan, NY
Some updates.

February has launched me into the two most successful weeks of my career. I've made more sales these past two weeks from new customers and those I've retained.

I've been working hard for these sales. I've constantly had faith that this hard work would pay off even during times when it wasn't yet showing. I just kept staying the course. Last week alone I sold $3725 in personal training. I've never hit numbers that big. I've been close but not that high.

I know the business changes week by week but I need to grow to a point where those sales are steady each week. I look at this as laying the foundation to my bigger ventures.

-

I added a lot more content to my website and did some performance tweaks to make it run more smoothly. I'm enjoying blogging. I've been trying to building an audience through Facebook ads on my Facebook page I created earlier this week. Http://www.facebook.com/trainingjournalonline and I added a forum to my website http://www.trainingjournalonline.com.

I'm hoping to get some guest bloggers and paid writers to help me push content.

-

I got my first paid consulting gig for a fitness app. We have our first conference call tomorrow, I was paid in advance. This is work I'd like to be doing more of and I'm excited for it.

-

I haven't sold a single product which was the original intent of this progress thread. I honestly got very busy with these other projects that have been generating profits that I didn't direct a lot of time toward this. So with that said, I plan on taking a step back, growing my blog and selling the products I have to the readers on the blog. The blog captures the market intended for the products.

-

Personal goals, I've been working out a lot and loving it. I think 2016 I'll be in the most athletic shape to date. I'm planning on a deadlift that's close to 700lbs and I'd love a high 500 squat. Bench I'd be satisfied getting back to my old best of 455lbs and taking it from there. I've been doing a lot of cardio, some mild fasting on my rest days, and I may add two Muay Thai classes into my regiment as I've been looking to learn the skill.

I've also been trying to organize my time. Even though I'm busier with work I want plenty of time with my family and girlfriend and friends. That's very important to me. I've been managing quite well.

-

That's about it. I've been enjoying waking up 430 every morning during the week because it means I'm packing my schedule with customers. It also means I'm on the road to building a business bigger than myself with employees that I can do more work on than in. The busy schedule has also helped me become very organized.

Up or down I plan on relentlessly plugging away at everything.

Last edited:

Daniel Hickey

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jan 28, 2016
Late thread reply but I checked out your website after reading your thread. Awesome progress! Website and logo look great! Keep it up!

BTW when I went to your website I noticed part of your phone number is cut off by the bottom of the page. Could just be my computer but figured I would let you know!

AustinS28

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Sep 25, 2014
Manhattan, NY
Late thread reply but I checked out your website after reading your thread. Awesome progress! Website and logo look great! Keep it up!

BTW when I went to your website I noticed part of your phone number is cut off by the bottom of the page. Could just be my computer but figured I would let you know!

Thanks for sharing the feedback. I'm assuming you checked out manhattan trainer. The phone number is messed up on the mobile version. Very upset with some of the features on that site. I paid money to have it created, not a fortune, but $1175, and it turned out incomplete and not what I expected. Lesson learned. After making training journal on Wordpress for under 100 bucks I'm going to make manhattan trainer myself with a Wordpress template. Sometimes you just need to do it yourself.

Daniel Hickey

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jan 28, 2016
Thanks for sharing the feedback. I'm assuming you checked out manhattan trainer. The phone number is messed up on the mobile version. Very upset with some of the features on that site. I paid money to have it created, not a fortune, but $1175, and it turned out incomplete and not what I expected. Lesson learned. After making training journal on Wordpress for under 100 bucks I'm going to make manhattan trainer myself with a Wordpress template. Sometimes you just need to do it yourself.
Sorry to hear that man. But yes we live and we learn. If it makes it worth anything to you, you just saved one alike from the same misfortune because now I will attempt to design my ecommerce website FIRST before going to a designer. So thank you!! I hear Wordpress is really good too!

AustinS28

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Sep 25, 2014
Manhattan, NY
Got my first sale on Amazon today. I think maybe it was a little reminder that I can sell all these products so I've put them higher on the priority list. I'm excited.

Got confirmation today that a piece I wrote about the work I do in my business is going to be published in an annual newsletter for a special needs organization that also is a niche market of customers I train. I have a possible guest speaking opportunity at their conference in May. Just need to confirm this. I can set up a table to promote my business. They invited me but the organizer needs to just get some more clearance.

Have a lot of expenses next month. Upon taxes and a move I'll be shelling out a lot of dough. But feeling good I have been making enough to afford the move and it will better my quality of life and create more time. I'll live 15-30 minutes from a my clients instead of 45-60.

Time to grind now and get some new customers. I would like to get published in a big blog. Ive been submitting content and request to be a contributing writer on various sites every week. I want to build up my social media presence.

My blog is coming alon great. You can follow at http://www.facebook.com/trainingjournalonline :)

AustinS28

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Sep 25, 2014
Manhattan, NY
Thought it'd be a good day for an update since it has been a couple months.

A lot of great things have gone on and a lot of obstacles still need to be overcome.

-A few weeks ago I moved to one of the nicer neighborhoods of Manhattan, Chelsea and it's been a game changer since my commute to clients has been cut in half. The train ride has gone from 45-60 minutes to 15-30 minutes depending on which form of transportation I take. There is also a drastic difference in my mood living in a nice neighborhood as I'm close to so many great things.

-I got a lot better, (still working on it) at Wordpress. I remodeled my website completely by myself and love it much more than the old one. I did this last week.

Http://www.trainpeak.com

-I wanted my business to be a six figure grossing business. We are there, but it has been costly on my body and well being on certain days and this is my problem.

I have gone from struggling to find appointments to finding new long term customers almost weekly.

It's great. I've also realized how easily goals change in the sense that 100k/year isn't a lot of money. In fact it's even less in a big city. I need to figure out how to grow really big.

-I have gotten more traction on my blog although it's taken the back burner along with selling some products with my move and larger influx of business.

Issues

-How to turn my business into something that generates passive income. I have ideas, but this part has been hard. I can't work the hours I do forever and it interferes with my true passions in life (competitive weightlifting). I know in time I'll figure it out, I have to. I need to find what I can sell that doesn't require work after the sale and I need to grow bigger so I can have a brick and mortar business and hire employees.

-I need to get more sleep. A few nights with 4-5 hours in a row and my mood goes from positive/ambitious to depressed and questioning if it's all worth it. It also affects my physical performance in the gym.

-How to be a great business owner, athlete, boyfriend, friend, brother, son all at the same time without one interfering with the other.

I'll go more in depth after work today. I'll be on a bus for 5 hours traveling to a wedding with time to think and plan.

AustinS28

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Sep 25, 2014
Manhattan, NY
It’s funny how your perceptions change.

Build a 6 figure grossing business. That was the goal from day 1 and here it is all unfolding. I made it… New customers coming in left and right, new opportunities presenting themselves frequently. Less worry about money to take care of my basic needs.

The 6 figure business is here, but I am not any happier and still feel far away from the end result.

This isn’t a poor me post. I’ve been busting my a$$ and I’ve been thankful for the recent success I’ve been having.

My issue lies in turning my service business into something bigger. I need to turn my service business into a passive income machine.

I have many ideas on how to do this, some seem far off and others I can’t seem to figure out the middle steps to get to the end result. I’ll share these ideas when they are put in action, but I’m holding off because I think some are very untapped.

If I reflect over the past 3 years I went from dropping out of college May of 2013….living on food stamps for about 6 months at the end of that year. Almost May of 2016 I am sitting without a boss grossing 8-10k in sales a month.

Things I know about myself
  • I can overcome obstacles
  • I can sell and sell things really well
  • I don’t give-up
Skills I’ve learned and excelled in
  • Networking
  • Wordpress
  • Closing Sales
The thing is a 100k grossing business won’t be able to afford me a 20k/month rental for a brick and mortar establishment.

I'm stuck in the middle of making enough, but not making nearly enough to grow.

I guess I need to stick with the plan and keeping making small strides. Getting too wrapped up on the big picture may not be the best process.

On a side note I need to figure this out fast because I am raking in the hours and I’m too tired to devote myself to certain things I love that have 0 relation to work. I’m still doing these things, but I’d love to be in a place where I can do them and be fully dedicated to them.

Onward to my my multimillion dollar fitness empire!!

The Autobahn

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Mar 2, 2013
Switzerland
Impressive story, so far.. Im surprised that you have a such high demand but i guess this also has to do with Manhattan environment.
I personally have never felt the need a trainer, except for competition oriented sports like Boxing or Shotput.
Is it better to have a trainer ? 99% yes, but not everyone can afford that.

AustinS28

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Sep 25, 2014
Manhattan, NY
Impressive story, so far.. Im surprised that you have a such high demand but i guess this also has to do with Manhattan environment.
I personally have never felt the need a trainer, except for competition oriented sports like Boxing or Shotput.
Is it better to have a trainer ? 99% yes, but not everyone can afford that.

You are very right! It's all about volume out here. With almost 9 million people in the city, I just need a handful to buy to do well.

If I were to explain to someone what I do - "I run a luxury fitness business personal training high net worth individuals. I also work with special populations including those with Autism and Prader Willi Syndrome."

The key here is finding the right people. A typical package of 60 minute sessions costs $1548, (I sell in packages of 12). If you can afford that you probably know other people who can afford that, and if I do my job you'll probably be a customer for a long time.

I've thrived on customer retainment. I literally have customers from the first months I started (almost 3 years ago), who regularly see me 1-3x per week.

The initial process was slow, but as my network expands it's only gotten easier, and new opportunities for different avenues have presented themselves.

My current projects include /outsourcing trainers/less expensive bootcamp classes (different target market)/marketing services to other trainers.

However, back to your original post, and one of the things that has been the biggest blessing in disguise running my business is the people I have connected with through training.

I train people and in the process get free mentoring from successful people who enjoy working with me and want to help me succeed.

Boozoon

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Sep 4, 2015
Some ideas for you:

Communicate with either Joe Dowdell or Amir Siddiqui (https://www.facebook.com/amirofthebody?pnref=lhc.unseen). From what I understand, they both have very successful fitness businesses and they are able to enjoy their life (again, given what they say on FB). Amir charges $1,000 per hour from what I know and caters to high-end clients. Don't let his whole vibe turn you off.

Read about Greg Nuckols and his wife and how they are using e-mails to make tons of money. Greg is a genuinely kind guy that knows his stuff and makes a six figure income via online coaching from what I remember.

If you have experience in special population people, then thats a niche that's probably underserved. Make a niche blog, write a book on Kindle or Ejunkie, create a Udemy course, promote products that help etc. The best part is that when you are honest with your prospect and show that you can really help, nobody will think you as a scammer.

From what I see in Google Trends, Prader Willi has lots of interest in Chile, Holand, Ireland. Create the blog and the products, write some kickass content that combines smart SEO (check Robert Koch from 30daystox.com) and perhaps do some Facebook advertising targeting those countries.

All the best ^_^

AustinS28

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Sep 25, 2014
Manhattan, NY
Some ideas for you:

Communicate with either Joe Dowdell or Amir Siddiqui (https://www.facebook.com/amirofthebody?pnref=lhc.unseen). From what I understand, they both have very successful fitness businesses and they are able to enjoy their life (again, given what they say on FB). Amir charges $1,000 per hour from what I know and caters to high-end clients. Don't let his whole vibe turn you off.

Read about Greg Nuckols and his wife and how they are using e-mails to make tons of money. Greg is a genuinely kind guy that knows his stuff and makes a six figure income via online coaching from what I remember.

If you have experience in special population people, then thats a niche that's probably underserved. Make a niche blog, write a book on Kindle or Ejunkie, create a Udemy course, promote products that help etc. The best part is that when you are honest with your prospect and show that you can really help, nobody will think you as a scammer.

From what I see in Google Trends, Prader Willi has lots of interest in Chile, Holand, Ireland. Create the blog and the products, write some kickass content that combines smart SEO (check Robert Koch from 30daystox.com) and perhaps do some Facebook advertising targeting those countries.

All the best ^_^

Great Ideas man, thanks. I actually have corresponded with Greg before you posted this. He let me use one of his articles on my website about 6 weeks ago and agreed to an interview.

I’m at a stalemate right now. I'm usually always working on something, but now I do not know the steps to get to where I want to go next so it is making it hard for me to pick what to work on. I know where I want to go, I have a vision for a gym concept that hasn’t been done before. I live in a neighborhood that is bustling and ready for a new business. The majority of my clientele are lawyers and people that work in hedge funds and they’re all so great to me. I feel like they’ll offer a plethora of help when it comes time to launch with wisdom and getting me started.

I just don’t know how to execute, what steps to take. It’s an upward battle of constant questioning — am I doing the right thing? Could I be doing something else and getting further? How the hell am I going to come up with the money to open a facility? What if I lose all my clients? Where am I going to get my next customer from? What if I live a life full of dreams, but that’s it — they stay dreams? Am I working enough? Where will I get my next customer from?

It’s a constant battle — but then I look back at the last 2 years of self employment and realize I am an infant when it comes to business and leaps and bounds ahead of where I started. I yet am very far away from where I want to be and don’t know how to get there. The only thing I have going for me is I work hard and am resilient. I do have a lot of sales experience and I am good at it. I also think I am smart, but don't like to toot my own horn too much.

I guess this is part of the journey.

Next week I am going to throw a suit on and go to local establishments in the neighborhood to pitch an idea.

AustinS28

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Sep 25, 2014
Manhattan, NY
I've been paying to go to employee wellness fairs at corporations around NYC. It's $50-$100 to get a spot at a table depending on the size of the event. It's packed with insurance companies, physical therapists, people representing doctor's offices and several other service businesses.

I've been to 4 so far and today landed my first sale from a lead I captured at a previous event. It was exciting to know I was spending my money wisely by promoting here.

I’ve been racking my brain a lot lately. I have two ideas on how I want to scale my business.

I am also in the process of setting up software for my company to help me manage a team once I bridge into that territory.

Lately, the question I keep asking myself that I want to discover, “If I typically make several $1k plus sales a week to individuals, what can I sell for $10k, $50k, $100k? What can I sell to a business or what service can I add to my current platform that would be worth a lot more money to those who can afford it.” I know for a fact that if I could figure out the answer to this, executing the sales and generating the leads will not be difficult for me.

AustinS28

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Sep 25, 2014
Manhattan, NY
Please rip my new website apart.

http://www.trainpeak.com

I have been fooling around with adwords....I just redid that landing page so an email capture is in your face when you click on.

My last adwords campaign did nothing for me. It had a call to action, but it was a button to a contact form. Instead, this has the contact form right there....

Unfortunately I need some help with gravity forms. I do not know how to change the color of the text and google isn't helping me that much. The site looks better on desktop than mobile because the black font on gravity forms gets lost a little bit since the website is responsive and the layout changes on the phone....

marklov

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
Please rip my new website apart.

http://www.trainpeak.com

I have been fooling around with adwords....I just redid that landing page so an email capture is in your face when you click on.

My last adwords campaign did nothing for me. It had a call to action, but it was a button to a contact form. Instead, this has the contact form right there....

Unfortunately I need some help with gravity forms. I do not know how to change the color of the text and google isn't helping me that much. The site looks better on desktop than mobile because the black font on gravity forms gets lost a little bit since the website is responsive and the layout changes on the phone....

well I guess ill give a few hints .

Colors- depend on who your targeting this off the top my head so....

men tend to lean more to brown and blue and women, purple , orange,

Brown- sturdiness
Blue- trust worthy
Orange- Exciting Purple- Exotic
yellow- warning or attention
Black-Depth/luxurious
Green- Safe/ healthy
White- Aesthetic/Balance
Grey- Stable
Red-danger

What i'm saying then is colors can have an impact depending on the demographic
your targeting

-----

Domain name

I'm not really feeling that but train peak
sounds weird man, you need a good domain that when persons
think of you , get that top of the mind awareness....

BMW- Sport
Audi- Cooperate
Toyota_ reliability

etc....

When persons think of your brand does "Train Peak come to mind?"

----

your site was loading when I wrote up to this point last night but I called it a night, after this I am going after
what I remember so.....i might be a bit off

Your form try adding

"Who am I speaking with" up at the top....

When you have 'Schedule a work out"

>Why do I have to schedule a workout with you?

Schedule? I have to stop what Im doing to schedule a work out with you.

i'll do it later ( they forget)

Why do I have to schedule a work out, do I have to pay?

it adds anxiety to your form.

------

Your other stuff that was beside the form try keeping it "point benefit first"

Your benefit must be in the first part of the sentence or close.

"schedule a work out with me"

Who does this first part of the sentence benefit the most?

I don't remember much else and did opt in with the form so....

These were some of the things I did on my site to increase conversion rates\.
As a matter of fact it was one of the best converting sites in my niche before I sold it.

ultimately you have to test to find out what your market responds to.

have a good one.

AustinS28

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Sep 25, 2014
Manhattan, NY
well I guess ill give a few hints .

Colors- depend on who your targeting this off the top my head so....

men tend to lean more to brown and blue and women, purple , orange,

Brown- sturdiness
Blue- trust worthy
Orange- Exciting Purple- Exotic
yellow- warning or attention
Black-Depth/luxurious
Green- Safe/ healthy
White- Aesthetic/Balance
Grey- Stable
Red-danger

What i'm saying then is colors can have an impact depending on the demographic
your targeting

-----

Domain name

I'm not really feeling that but train peak
sounds weird man, you need a good domain that when persons
think of you , get that top of the mind awareness....

BMW- Sport
Audi- Cooperate
Toyota_ reliability

etc....

When persons think of your brand does "Train Peak come to mind?"

----

your site was loading when I wrote up to this point last night but I called it a night, after this I am going after
what I remember so.....i might be a bit off

Your form try adding

"Who am I speaking with" up at the top....

When you have 'Schedule a work out"

>Why do I have to schedule a workout with you?

Schedule? I have to stop what Im doing to schedule a work out with you.

i'll do it later ( they forget)

Why do I have to schedule a work out, do I have to pay?

it adds anxiety to your form.

------

Your other stuff that was beside the form try keeping it "point benefit first"

Your benefit must be in the first part of the sentence or close.

"schedule a work out with me"

Who does this first part of the sentence benefit the most?

I don't remember much else and did opt in with the form so....

These were some of the things I did on my site to increase conversion rates\.
As a matter of fact it was one of the best converting sites in my niche before I sold it.

ultimately you have to test to find out what your market responds to.

have a good one.

Hey,

I really appreciate the feedback.

I totally agree with you on the colors. Temporarily I needed to pick something that stood out. Brown was it, I may switch over to white.

--

The name is something I've been battling with. I don't love it either. I also don't know if I should incorporate my name into it.

The business is currently called Peak Luxury Training....so trainpeak is just saying, come train at peak....hence the domain.

--

The scheduling form is because this is an in-home/gym personal training business...anyone being funneled to the site (hopefully I do a good job with my adword targeting) is interested in personal training. The sign up is for a free trial before the purchase which is customary in the industry because sales are expensive.

--

My girlfriend gave some good feedback too.

She thinks and I agree, I need a logo and some more details on the business right when you click onto the site.

I photoshopped a logo onto the background and crashed the website this morning. I don't know what I did, it was down for two hours and somehow I got it working.

She also thought that I should add some scroll feature to tell people to scroll down...again not sure how to do that. I'll look for a plugin.

Finally I want to add some more sections "about me," "resources," etc.....

--

I gotta code the gravity form to have a different color text so it's more legible on mobile.

--

Overall I'm happy, it's the best site I've built on my own, but with your critique and my girlfriends, it still needs work.

marklov

Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
The scheduling form is because this is an in-home/gym personal training business...anyone being funneled to the site (hopefully I do a good job with my adword targeting) is interested in personal training. The sign up is for a free trial before the purchase which is customary in the industry because sales are expensive.

That means you'll train them in their own home?

Andy has a great adwords post.

I understand about the form.

I split tested mine and adding who I am "speaking with" vs " Book your appointment"

was a 7% difference.

My leads had persons entering peoples homes.

-------

Don't make me think is a great no fluff book on web design and usability.

Worth the investment imo.

It's short and easy to understand.

AustinS28

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Sep 25, 2014
Manhattan, NY
That means you'll train them in their own home?

Andy has a great adwords post.

I understand about the form.

I split tested mine and adding who I am "speaking with" vs " Book your appointment"

was a 7% difference.

My leads had persons entering peoples homes.

-------

Don't make me think is a great no fluff book on web design and usability.

Worth the investment imo.

It's short and easy to understand.

Great advice and thanks for the book reco. I will change the form up tonight!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.