The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Paralysis by Analysis - Procrastination Excuses and Breakthroughs?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Allen

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jul 26, 2013
Has anyone else suffered from this? It seems as though I fall back into a comfort zone of performing more research, reading more books, listening to more podcasts, etc. instead of taking the necessary active actions to move my business systems/processes forward.

I know myself well enough to recognize this as an active form of procrastination. Any tips on how other forum members have broken through this barrier?

I enjoy reading (average two Fastlane-related books per month plus one entertaining book per month) and investigating new markets, however I know planning does not replace action.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

britnidanielle

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Aug 24, 2013
Los Angeles
Oh yes...this is SO ME!

I can read a jillion books on strategies and yet not put them into place.

How about this: When you read a new book, how about putting it to work for 30 days before reading another book in the same genre? That would help you begin to do SOMETHING besides just reading & not working.

My issue is I get stuck reading...or before even getting to reading, I get stuck in reading reviews of things I'm thinking about. And I ALWAYS read the negative reviews first, which sometimes discourages me about something I was previously hyped about. It's not good at all.

So, pick some strategies & just start doing them?

D

DeletedUser394

Has anyone else suffered from this? It seems as though I fall back into a comfort zone of performing more research, reading more books, listening to more podcasts, etc. instead of taking the necessary active actions to move my business systems/processes forward.

I know myself well enough to recognize this as an active form of procrastination. Any tips on how other forum members have broken through this barrier?

I enjoy reading (average two Fastlane-related books per month plus one entertaining book per month) and investigating new markets, however I know planning does not replace action.

I'm sure everyone has. For me too, it's been a struggle.

What got to me was simply the fact that I'm sick of living the way that I do. Once you know there is an alternative way to live, you just go for it.

What motivates you? Cars? Travel? Women? Sports? If it's cars, go to a dealership or rent a luxury model, if it's travel do something crazy and with little to no notice book a flight to somewhere new. If it's sports, buy the best seats in the stadium and enjoy. If it's women.. I don't know haven't figured that one out yet haha.

Once you feel/experience it, there's no going back. Once you're aware that there are real alternatives nothing can stop you.

Rafal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jul 14, 2011
Warsaw, Poland
There's one good news and one bad news.

Good news: I want you to get 2 audio programs.

1) Tony Robbins - Creating Lasting Change.
His 6 Basic Human Needs will change your life if used as filter.

2) Steve Chandler - MindShift.
Some of his concepts are brutally simple.

Now - the bad news - you won't need other stuff.

It will help you understand yourself and others - and it
will help you influence yourself and others.

Just get into them, make notes, and apply it.

britnidanielle

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Aug 24, 2013
Los Angeles
Good news: I want you to get 2 audio programs.

1) Tony Robbins - Creating Lasting Change.
His 6 Basic Human Needs will change your life if used as filter.

2) Steve Chandler - MindShift.
Some of his concepts are brutally simple.

FYI: You can find these on YouTube, especially the Tony Robbins one. It's great!

mentalic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Nov 26, 2012
I enjoy reading too. Listening to audiobooks,exploring markets etc. But I am currently building my product/service and I have decided to take it to the end (meaning building it, forming a company, marketing it etc). Occasionally I might get out of the road a little but in a while I am back in. Try to focus/decide one 1 product/service and tell yourself that you'll take it to the end. Study in the meantime and keep notes for the future. We are not here to become researchers/academy professionals.

Kencan98

Fair Enough?
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Aug 6, 2013
Long Island, NY
I agree with QWERTY at least to get you started. When I first started I got "comfortable" and would make a good amount of money then I wouldn't work for months. Then when I needed money I'd go out and sell then I'd go on "vacation" again.

I found a partner that basically depended on me for everything. It wasn't the greatest relationship (because he did nothing at all) but it basically forced me to work.

After a while though it has to be about you. When I had my daughter it all changed and now that is what keeps me going. She never wants me to work but she loves random trips to Disney and spending an entire Tuesday afternoon at the park when everyone else is working :)

I also think that you need to get to a place where you need education before you learn something. MJ talks about this in his book. Do and continue to do until you hit a roadblock and need help. Then go and learn. Don't learn everything at one time.

Just by spending a few hours on this forum you'll have enough information to make 6 figures per year. That information (if you turn it into daily habits) will put you in the top 1% of income earners in the US. Once you get there, learn more.

Tony I

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Apr 9, 2013
MA

I used to struggle with this problem for a while; here is what solved it:

Stop Reading. You already have more than enough business knowledge in your brain to take action.

Write down your top 3 ideas for delivering service to others, and get started on those immediately.

Reading without application is useless. It's like a professor who talks about business theory all day and doesn't run a business.

NVaz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jul 24, 2013
Lisbon, Portugal
Have you tried to assign $/hour value to your time ? Time is our best asset, every time you "waste" your time you're basically throwing money away. We are constantly trading our time, so next time you spend your precious time playing console games or watching tv remember you are paying x amount of $ for that time.

rogen

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
May 27, 2013
-
As a person who have 10$ on PayPal and hope to start a business with this I can relate to OP, im lying all day with my tablet searching for solution that will provide me more money to keep going, because this ten bucks is my only bullet right now,
I can buy a domains and resell some Fiverr services.. But there's come my procrastination, I don't want to do black hat anymore.. So I'm searching and searching everyday for something legit, some problem I could solve, make it big time and finally be free..

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
As a person who have 10$ on PayPal and hope to start a business with this I can relate to OP, im lying all day with my tablet searching for solution that will provide me more money to keep going, because this ten bucks is my only bullet right now,
I can buy a domains and resell some Fiverr services.. But there's come my procrastination, I don't want to do black hat anymore.. So I'm searching and searching everyday for something legit, some problem I could solve, make it big time and finally be free..

You need a job.

Allen

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jul 26, 2013
Have you tried to assign $/hour value to your time ? Time is our best asset, every time you "waste" your time you're basically throwing money away. We are constantly trading our time, so next time you spend your precious time playing console games or watching tv remember you are paying x amount of $ for that time.

Yep. That's my slap to the face reality check!

I worked in corporate America for years (sales & marketing) so I was able to earn six figures. In return, I sold my time (long hours, commute, etc.) for money and always claimed that if I had put in the same amount of energy into a business system for me, I would be wealthy, not just living a good slowlane lifestyle.

Now it's time for me to put up or shut up. There are days I consider retreating back into corporate America, however regardless of the good income, I was emotionally dead inside. I know I am 99% "there" when it comes to the Fastland lifestyle. I have many positive habits such as daily exercise, daily motivation, daily visualization, writing down goals, daily review of both short term and long term goals, continued education (reading), etc.

I'm highly motivated and organized, it just feels as though the last one percent is based on confidence and the willingness to make mistakes. That's what my "creative procrastination" is preventing.

William

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Feb 15, 2012
At times I have this problem. I also enjoy reading and you can get caught up with JUST reading.

What I try to do is look at the TIMES when I was MOST PRODUCTIVE and dissect it. Think about it and write down WHAT made you productive and how you felt after.

Did I read that day? For how long?
Did I exercise?
Where was I? Was I in the house, library, starbucks, etc.?
Where was my level of focus? Was there anything that helped influence that focus?
Did I have one goal? Or did I have several that day?

Mimic those things that made you feel productive that day and repeat it as much as you can.

Allen

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jul 26, 2013
At times I have this problem. I also enjoy reading and you can get caught up with JUST reading.

What I try to do is look at the TIMES when I was MOST PRODUCTIVE and dissect it. Think about it and write down WHAT made you productive and how you felt after.

Did I read that day? For how long?
Did I exercise?
Where was I? Was I in the house, library, starbucks, etc.?
Where was my level of focus? Was there anything that helped influence that focus?
Did I have one goal? Or did I have several that day?

Mimic those things that made you feel productive that day and repeat it as much as you can.

That's a great tip. Whenever I feel in "the zone", I always try to figure out what prompted it. I believe there is more to it than just a random feeling. Was it something I read? Was it something I watched? What was my diet or sleep pattern?, etc.

I know Tony Robbins touches on this point as well in his books.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
I'll read this thread a few times and about procrastination then come back soon to offer a comment.

Allen

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jul 26, 2013
I'll read this thread a few times and about procrastination then come back soon to offer a comment.

"The Procrastinators Anonymous meeting for this week has been postponed." :eusa_clap:

therebel

Banned
Apr 20, 2013
How to Win At Sales, Girls, Friends & Life, The Art And Science of Pulling The Trigger. | Live Forever

Your suffering from what I call the "Beta" head space

trying not to sound too bro science-y

but as someone who's forced himself outside of his comfort zone many times (had social anxiety, took on sales, dancing in clubs, approaching girls etc)

I'm very familiar with what your experiencing & the good news is, if I can do it you can do it...

analysis by paralysis is a sort of "self-hypnosis" where your thoughts lead you, rather than you leading yourself

you need to get in a state of being "trigger happy"

basically take a bunch of small risks decisively & it snaps you out of that hypnosis and into a sort of hyper-confident state that isn't afraid to take bold action..

keep in mind, its perishable so if you don't use it... you loose it.

this is why I enjoy living a little bit on the edge, I'd recommend finding a hobby thats a little on the edge too.. that way you stay ready for risks and challenges when they arise.

goodfella

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 4, 2013
i've experienced this before, you just have to develop a sense of urgency and just think of it as if I get this done now I can move on to the next thing.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
I see two Problems:
  1. You're Scared
  2. You're Addicted to Information

Before you act there's no motivation for it besides the POSSIBILITY that something good will come from it.
If you're not doing much already there's really nothing pushing you to act.

You're like me, you're addicted to information, you hate inefficiency.
Releasing something before it's perfect seems silly.
You imagine the comparative success you'll have after learning a bit more on the subject.

Best thing to do is grit your teeth and kick yourself into acting 3 or 4 times.
The cool thing is: You get much better information as a direct result of you performing your own tests. You learn it a lot faster and the information stays with you forever.

"Is it better to offer the video course as a separate product or to bundle it with the core book?"
"Is it better to use negative headlines or positive headlines? what gives better results?"
Instead of seeking the answers to these questions in a book, you'll learn for yourself.
You'll be the one writing the next book, because you were part of the 5% that actually DID the test.

Naaaaa Mean Jellybean?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.