The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Paralysis of Analysis

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
One issue I have personal battles with is Paralysis of Analysis (POA). When you're confronted with a choice, do you weight your options and decide quickly? Or do you get stuck in analysis mode, constantly thinking and mulling over your available choices? Paralysis of Analysis is just that: Paralysis - the inability to move -- the inability to take action and make a choice.

Don't confuse analysis with action as analysis is one step above *thinking*. Thinking and analysis never made anyone wealthy -- only the action that follows it does. Conversely, the action of not taking action is equally valuable in certain situations.

Analysis, preparation, and research are all worthwhile and necessary -- however, making a choice on your analysis - is what gets things moving.

Analysis is like gassing up your car and starting the engine: It prepares you to go somewhere. However, if you don't hit the accelerator, you don't move. The accelerator is action. Its movement. It takes you places.

So if you're experiencing POA, make a decision and get out of analysis mode:

1) Make the choice to do nothing and move on

or

2) Take action on the data you've analyzed, adjust, and move forward.

For me, I use a weighted average decision matrix to make complex decisions - yes, nerdy, but effective.

How do you overcome "POA"?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
Back Up Plan

I ask myself.... what is the worst thing that could happen?

If it happens to me.... Analysis Paralysis ... it is usually because I FEAR somthing.

I have to get to the root of my fear. Put my " back up" or "worst case" plan onto paper, then I am able to run with it... (the origional - not the back-up). Somehow knowing that I have a back-up helps me get over the paralysis.

I am at a place like that now actually.... I am experiencing fear - but I can't figure out WHAT I AM AFRAID OF........:bgh:

azzuri

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 6, 2007
New Jersey
PoA can be action limiting. I think with experience, guts intuition comes in and a good decisions can be made in an instant.
I sometimes catch myself in "I realy like this, should I spend more time checking a few more hoping to find a better one or just take this and move to the next item".

royemunson

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Jul 24, 2007
SW Ohio
I usually remember times when I took action and realized taht the actuality of doing something wasn't as bad as what my mind was telling me.

I also take small steps at a time and break big tasks down. I make sure that I follow a plan/system and when it feels right I try to go for it.

One of the worst things I do that restarts the process is visit forums and listen to people who talk a bunch of smack - chicken littles. I have seen it in many forums including RDPD and try to stay away from that after I've got the answers I needed.

I try to listen to people like those here who have done it and just go for it.
If I don't succeed I learn from it and move on

Joe

LamboMP

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Aug 13, 2007
Toronto
i feel paralysis of analysis is linked to procrastination. People like to *think* about how great the idea is and how it will do because it's ultimately easier than actually doing it. I think it was Tony Robbins who said, the reason that one doesn't decide or procrastinates is because they are viewing it as pain instead of pleasure. Its a matter of perception! If you can change your PERCEPTION on how doing the task NOW will change you in positive manner, then you can disregard the pain (or work involved) and view it as pleasure.

Tony Robbin's PPP ( Pain Pleasure Principle)

In my opinion, if you don't do it, your only hurting yourself, no one else.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AJGlobal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 14, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
One issue I have personal battles with is Paralysis of Analysis (POA). When you're confronted with a choice, do you weight your options and decide quickly? Or do you get stuck in analysis mode, constantly thinking and mulling over your available choices? Paralysis of Analysis is just that: Paralysis - the inability to move -- the inability to take action and make a choice.

Don't confuse analysis with action as analysis is one step above *thinking*. Thinking and analysis never made anyone wealthy -- only the action that follows it does. Conversely, the action of not taking action is equally valuable in certain situations.

Analysis, preparation, and research are all worthwhile and necessary -- however, making a choice on your analysis - is what gets things moving.

Analysis is like gassing up your car and starting the engine: It prepares you to go somewhere. However, if you don't hit the accelerator, you don't move. The accelerator is action. Its movement. It takes you places.

So if you're experiencing POA, make a decision and get out of analysis mode:

1) Make the choice to do nothing and move on

or

2) Take action on the data you've analyzed, adjust, and move forward.

For me, I use a weighted average decision matrix to make complex decisions - yes, nerdy, but effective.

How do you overcome "POA"?

I kind of went through this recently with building our new home. I had so many times thought out what I wanted and what it was going to take to achieve the goal of getting everything I wanted into to this house, then I started doubting doing it all together. What got me to where we are now (waiting on building permits) was looking back at previous ventures and what it looked like once I had made it to the other side. I had so many times done what I was doing here and now with this house and then gotten through it and said, DAM I should have just done this, or I should have not cut that out (thinking it would be much) so on this project, I ignored all the negatives and I have put everything...every little thought, every little piece of what I may have taken out before and made sure that it is in this place just the way I invisioned it. Your thoughts really do become your reality if you believe in them enough. I can't wait to see what the visions I've had in my head turn into in reality once we get started on actually building the house!!!!!!!!

This same analogy for me, applies to anything I do in my life, the problem is when I start to not believe in it enough, thats when it starts to suffer.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.