The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Page 88 of the Fastlane book......

Cavking

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Dec 30, 2011
South East, UK
and I want to hang myself.... when is this book going to start being friendly? It has been totally negative so far! but ive heard good reviews!!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
Yes, I think many of us found the truth painful ;)

kirrubi

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Dec 26, 2011
California
keep reading i did it, it hurts because its new, there is resistance its in the human nature the "J" curve gets bad before getting really better.

thank you

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
I think it was great from page one for that reason. He doesn't sugar coat anything, tells it like it is. Is it what most people want to hear/believe? No...but that is also why most people aren't rich.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
and I want to hang myself.... when is this book going to start being friendly? It has been totally negative so far! but ive heard good reviews!!

The book isn't about being friendly, nice, cute or funny; it's about getting down to the nitty gritty of the elements of a scalable business. Focus on learning the lessons that are there instead of being turned off by the approach. Once you start applying those lessons, keep us posted! :) (I hope that comes across as friendly--as I do sincerely mean to be!)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
when is this book going to start being friendly?

Hmmm.... I don't know...

Did you buy the book because you wanted a friend? Or because you wanted to be rich?

I didn't write it to make friends.

Typically, the only people who are offended are the people who need to hear it. If you're looking to be coddled, hand-held, and told meaningless mantras that will make you feel good (You are special! Think positive! Believe in yourself! Do what you love! Follow your passion!) and other worthless platitudes (Ya know, the kind your friends would tell you) then you should have bought another author.

Most people would rather not think critically about their everyday choices and their consequences... they just want to read a "get rich" book and have it say "Do X, Do Y, and Do Z", and you will be rich! Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way and those who eternally seek out that solution never find it because they lack the ability to grasp the other part of the formula ... and that missing "other part" is the part that results in excuses (I don't have time, I don't have money, I don't have education, I don't have ideas, I don't this, I don't that...)

Skys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 20, 2011
The Netherlands
It's a terrible book but I needed to read it to get myself in the right direction.
Everything is NOT going to be alright, I DO need to work my F*cking a$$ off, I do need to sacrifice 'fun stuf' if I want to get where I need to be and I am going to Be a SLAVE of bigger companies if I don't WORK my BUT off right NOW.

Skys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 20, 2011
The Netherlands
Even worse: It was so not what I wanted to hear, that even on this forum the first day I acted in a form of complete denial.
Most of the time, when you really do not want to hear something, you better listen.

jfub

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Aug 22, 2011
I never looked at MJs book as negative. Then again, I'm only 21 and about to graduate college. Maybe because I'm young, or maybe because I'm used to honest feedback I feel this way. Dad has always been an honest hard-a$$, and I'm finally grateful for that :rofl:

If I was 47 and I read this book, I probably would've had a midlife crisis.

Cavking- This book is neither your friend or your enemy. Consider yourself extremely privileged to finally get a real and honest perspective on things. Thank God for family and friends, but I can't name a worst source for overall distortion and feedback, whether to make you feel better, or worse, about what you believe in. Just keep that in mind.

With that said, I'm very thankful for finding this book when I did.

-Joe

BJProducer

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jan 2, 2012
Hesperia, CA
We're all making the same point essentially, but I'll pitch my 2 cents in by simply saying, I firmly believe you getwhat you pay for. I'm the type of person that I wouldn't buy a house from a man driving a beat up 1982 Cutlass. Just my way of thinking. So Mr. DeMarco's tough love is indicative of what I need from a book like this... STONE COLD TRUTH! Awesome... I can barely put the F*cker down!

You can bash my feelings all to be damned... as long as I'm RICH afterward.

Talisman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
May 19, 2011
Australia
Weird, Im blown away that you could find it negative? It might be pointing out the negatives in our social myths, and all the negative results they are aligned for - but that does not make the book itself negative.

If you're finding yourself offended by it, then it is probably doing its job, and moving you out of your comfort zone. Then again, it may not be for you - we can't all be fastlane millionaires. :)

MMatt

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Nov 14, 2011
I found this book greatly enforced the beliefs I already had actually. I had no resistance to his ideas and/or opinions pertaining to the slowlane and the sidewalk. I am currently rereading it as the more I can absorb the better off I am.

Brander

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Jun 3, 2011
Australia, USA, Europe
I would like to say something safe and caress the ego, but the only thing on my mind is this:

Wow, another valuable lesson (you already know but frequently forget) for all of you into the mind of your fellow homo-sapiens sapiens. Form over substance - check! :)

Apologies to the OP, the above is not meant as an insult to him/her, but as an overall observation of the species :smxF:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.