The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Opportunities from the slowlane

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
I wasn't sure whether to post this, because it feels like it's a bit early, but I've just read a couple of posts on here from people at the start of their journeys asking about opportunity and how to spot it, or how to find a need to fill and I feel this is relevant so here goes.

For reasons that are not relevant right now, a couple of years ago I found myself back working for other people after a 5 year hiatus of being a freelancer/running my own business.

I fell back to what I know, which is being a phone jockey selling ad space. I was arguably already on my journey back to working for myself again, when I read the millionaire fastlane . Apart from making me realise that I had actually been a slowlaner for the past 5 years whilst thinking I wasn't, it made me realise that I hadn't been fully opening my eyes to opportunity.

So to the point, the first opportunity I saw was to leave sales and take a job that was completely different from anything I had done before, convincing my employers that my lack of specific experience was made up for by my more generalised all round experience.

So what, right? Another job, great. The point was it was in a field that I new would present opportunities and so I took it with the plan to do well at it for 12-24 months and do enough in my own time to be able to support myself and my family without the slowlane job.

Things didn't turn out that way, usual stuff, crazy boss, blah, blah, blah.

I got down about it for 5 minutes and then realised that nothing had changed and reopened my eyes for opportunity.

Opportunity came in the form of a training module that had I still been sulking, I wouldn't have gone on, because I would have thought to myself "why bother? I'm leaving this crappy job, why should I sit in this boreathon for 2 hours?"

But go I did and boy am I glad!

After sitting in the session for about an hour, something was said by one of the other delegates, he basically exposed a particular lack of skill in "our" industry and the other delegates all agreed (they where 7 others from 7 different organisations) and it hit me, the skills I have could be taught to these people; not only could I run a better training session than this, but I could do it on something that no one else is doing.

What's more, the module is government funded and the recipients get the training for free and so the organisation that has been entrusted with the funds, simply has to tell enough people about it and convince them of the efficacy. The best part is that the majority of that work is done by organisations within the borough councils.

I digress...

So I got back and immediately emailed the lady who had introduced herself at the beginning of the session, before leaving us with the trainer. From what she said, I worked out that they had been given a hell of a lot of money to deliver these workshops across London.

I pitched her my idea and she loved it, she has introduced me to the budget holder and they have told me that in mid to late June they will be recommissioning more training and that I will be in the running to deliver my module. If they like it, I will be in line to sell dozens if not more workshops, if it goes well, I'll hire some good people from my old contact list and pay them a wage.

It is all early days and may come to nothing, in fact the odds dictate it probably will, however it won't cost me anything to find out, it could lead to nothing, or just me getting a couple of grand for delivering one module; or be the start of me accidentally starting a training company with 50 ready made clients.

Point/moral of the story, opportunity is there, the more you look, the more you'll see and then one day a you-sized opportunity pops up, ready for you to jump in.

I'll keep you posted on that, boom or bust, I'll let you know; if anyone's interested of course!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
I fell back to what I know, which is being a phone jockey selling ad space. I was arguably already on my journey back to working for myself again, when I read the millionaire fastlane . Apart from making me realise that I had actually been a slowlaner for the past 5 years whilst thinking I wasn't, it made me realise that I hadn't been fully opening my eyes to opportunity.

You were in sales, and it sounds like it was a stagnant position.

Sales is only great when the opportunity is great.

So to the point, the first opportunity I saw was to leave sales

In a way, this was a good move, and it was also a mistake.

The idea to leave that particular sales job was good.

The idea to leave sales and take another job was not so great.

You have great sales experience.

Find the right thing to sell and make six-figures your first year. Then, you're off to the races.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
You were in sales, and it sounds like it was a stagnant position.

Sales is only great when the opportunity is great.

In a way, this was a good move, and it was also a mistake.

The idea to leave that particular sales job was good.

The idea to leave sales and take another job was not so great.

You have great sales experience.

Find the right thing to sell and make six-figures your first year. Then, you're off to the races.

Point taken, but the role I took was kind of salesy, but less telephone and more face-to-face which I like and am good at.

As far as the right thing to sell, you're damn right, I'm hoping, this leads to me selling my expertise and then eventually the expertise of the people I have trained.

What I left out of the post, so as not to ramble too much, is that whilst waiting for this opportunity to come to fruition or not as the case may be, I am actually looking for another job and will go back into sales, I'm thinking hospitality or recruitment. Either that or something mindless that affords me the time to carry on learning to code and building up my websites.

Thanks for the comment Ubermensch, keep 'em coming :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.