The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Opinions/Thoughts: Executable Program or Spreadsheet?

waveman

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 3, 2017
South Africa
Hi,

I'm designing a simplified business performance/reporting system aimed at small to medium businesses. I've got a solid prototype for this currently in Microsoft Excel. But my question is this:

Is it better to keep it in Excel or make it an Executable/standalone desktop application? Since there are many business owners etc on here- what would you prefer? I'd personally prefer excel slightly more since it'd keep things more bug free and mostly safe from being broken. It also plays nice with MS Office, which makes achieving app objectives easier. But, would a separate application feel more exclusive and make you feel at ease justifying the price? Assuming it looked good and was friendly to use.

I'm not sure what to do, since either an app or Excel will ultimately both complete the same task. Coding would be less advantageous since I want to keep things safe from breaking and future proof, and then there's the issue of how to get data if things aren't in excel. Any and all feedback is welcome!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
When you tried it out in a test with small businesses, what was the feedback?

waveman

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 3, 2017
South Africa
When you tried it out in a test with small businesses, what was the feedback?
I haven't really received much actionable/in depth feedback on the topic. Most people seem to remain stuck on excel but I have received the usual issues with macro compatibility. With regards to an actual executable I've only really heard practical concerns about integration, maintenance etc, not really pricing justification and user experience. Excel gets the job done but I'm considering the people out there who may not have it or hesitate to spend time learning it, or those who wouldn't want to spend a lot on a spreadsheet.

inputchip

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
409%
Mar 26, 2017
www.tmkings.com
Make a clickable mockup of the program and take it to some of your potential clients and see what they would prefer, Excel or the program.

If user experience is important (which it should be), I would bet most people would lean away from using Excel. Also, it's much harder to market an office add-on rather than a standalone software product. It is difficult to build a brand around an add-on that is tied to office programs.

Also, remember the C in CENTS: Control. What if Microsoft completely changes the backend of Excel and your product no longer works and you lose all your customers. Unlikely to happen, but you never know. There is no coming back from that.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.