- Joined
- Dec 27, 2020
- Messages
- 4
Rep Bank
$140
$140
User Power: 100%
Hello everyone!
I started life heavily Scripted...against my wishes. Despite intuitively knowing the common path was not for me, and having a strong entrepreneurial urge from a very young age, I lacked the self-confidence to strike out on my own for a long time. Parents, peers, teachers, mentors, and society pressured me to walk a Scripted road: do well in school, get a high-paying job, live modestly, then (maybe) retire in comfort.
Each step was painful. My life felt all wrong. But everyone kept encouraging me, and I saw no other alternatives. Only a few years after I had "made it" as a physician was I finally miserable enough to boldly take charge of my life. I quit medicine, moved back home, and started a service business in a totally unrelated field. My friends and colleagues were shocked. My parents were distraught. But I have never been happier!
Unfortunately, despite creating a business I'm proud of, I've come to terms with the fact my business does not "make C.E.N.T.S." It meets a few of the commandments, but it seriously violates Time and Scale. Although I love the freedom of being my own boss, I must face the facts: I've built myself a Slowlane job. And not a decent paying one, either.
I've been trying a variety of other side projects and income streams over the years, hoping to strike upon something by chance that works better. Wow, was I misguided! Practically all of my ideas violated some commandment, though for some dumb reason I couldn't see it.
Thankfully, while browsing entrepreneurial videos a few weeks ago (and being largely disgusted at their same-old chestnuts and scams) the YouTube algorithm blessed me with an MJ DeMarco video recommendation. I immediately bought both of his books and have rediscovered my drive!
I'm bursting with new ideas. It'll take a while to build something new, but I'm more optimistic than I've been in years. It's my hope we can help each other on this forum. Thanks for reading!
I started life heavily Scripted...against my wishes. Despite intuitively knowing the common path was not for me, and having a strong entrepreneurial urge from a very young age, I lacked the self-confidence to strike out on my own for a long time. Parents, peers, teachers, mentors, and society pressured me to walk a Scripted road: do well in school, get a high-paying job, live modestly, then (maybe) retire in comfort.
Each step was painful. My life felt all wrong. But everyone kept encouraging me, and I saw no other alternatives. Only a few years after I had "made it" as a physician was I finally miserable enough to boldly take charge of my life. I quit medicine, moved back home, and started a service business in a totally unrelated field. My friends and colleagues were shocked. My parents were distraught. But I have never been happier!
Unfortunately, despite creating a business I'm proud of, I've come to terms with the fact my business does not "make C.E.N.T.S." It meets a few of the commandments, but it seriously violates Time and Scale. Although I love the freedom of being my own boss, I must face the facts: I've built myself a Slowlane job. And not a decent paying one, either.
I've been trying a variety of other side projects and income streams over the years, hoping to strike upon something by chance that works better. Wow, was I misguided! Practically all of my ideas violated some commandment, though for some dumb reason I couldn't see it.
Thankfully, while browsing entrepreneurial videos a few weeks ago (and being largely disgusted at their same-old chestnuts and scams) the YouTube algorithm blessed me with an MJ DeMarco video recommendation. I immediately bought both of his books and have rediscovered my drive!
I'm bursting with new ideas. It'll take a while to build something new, but I'm more optimistic than I've been in years. It's my hope we can help each other on this forum. Thanks for reading!
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
