The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Online Diary (accountability post) learning to build an app

Ironmantri

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Apr 16, 2020
Canada
All right, Im going to use this post updates to my progression and I encourage people to jump in if you have any ideas that can be beneficial to my venture.

Ive decided I'm heading into making an app helping parents. Ive looked at the current that are offering this online and I told myself that I can give their audience a better value.

There are two things in my way.
1. I don't know a thing about coding
2. I don't know where to begin

Yesterday, I spent some time reading here regarding coding and such, and seem that people are using flutter to build one. So yesterday, I spent 1.5hrs watching youtube videos on how to use flutter. So far Ive set up android app in my laptop, installed flutter, and installed visual studio.

Today I am planning to actually to learn the "coding part".

If you guys have a good source that you think I should check out to enhance my understanding in coding, please direct me.
I could use some guidance and suggestions to whoever has taken this path before.

Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Putt

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Jan 1, 2020
Getting started is great and we're all about execution obviously. Have you done much market validation yet? How often are you planning on updating this thread? I usually find having a set update schedule increases accountability.

Ironmantri

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Apr 16, 2020
Canada
Getting started is great and we're all about execution obviously. Have you done much market validation yet? How often are you planning on updating this thread? I usually find having a set update schedule increases accountability.
There are a couple of apps that are available already. Mostly raising mid 3star to 4star and by looks of it there are millions of downloads on most apps. Are there any other method that I should look at to validate this market?
Im planning to update this progress as I go along. ill post what I did for the day and so that if somebody thinks im going out of track they can help me back on.

Putt

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Jan 1, 2020
There are a couple of apps that are available already. Mostly raising mid 3star to 4star and by looks of it there are millions of downloads on most apps. Are there any other method that I should look at to validate this market?
Im planning to update this progress as I go along. ill post what I did for the day and so that if somebody thinks im going out of track they can help me back on.
Sounds great! The best piece of advice that I ever received in terms of market validation was from the director of a startup incubator in the UK. He said whatever your product is, go and ask people what they want, what their pain points are and whether your product would help. For some products that's as easy as going out on the street (maybe not now lol) but for apps, find a relevant subreddit and ask for people's opinions or figure out a way to directly speak with your target audience.

Once you've built an MVP or are (at the very least) at a further progressed stage, put together a consumer focus group who can guide your vision with the opinions that matter. Some features you might think are great but your consumers might not care about and vice versa

Ironmantri

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Apr 16, 2020
Canada
thank you so much for this! Will certainly check on reddit and Quora!
Im also in a parenting facebook group ill also get some feedback there

Putt

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Jan 1, 2020
thank you so much for this! Will certainly check on reddit and Quora!
Im also in a parenting facebook group ill also get some feedback there
Awesome! I'm definitely going to be following this thread as you move along your journey. Good luck!

Ironmantri

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Apr 16, 2020
Canada
Awesome! I'm definitely going to be following this thread as you move along your journey. Good luck!
thank you!
Thank you!
So far things arent going as planned. What Im watching and whats showing in my laptop isn't the same.
Ive been trying to figure out how to enable the virtual technologies in my laptop - that took 1 hr.
Now my flutter is not working on my emulator :(

Ironmantri

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Apr 16, 2020
Canada
A little update of my progression.
Learning this new thing may take longer than expected but yesterday and today I was trying to learn flutter but got stuck in installing the android studio.
My studio would not connect to my emulator so whatever code I'm going to write in the future will not show in my emulator. I had to figure this out first.
Since last night at 9pm until now 6:30pm, all I've been trying to fix is my emulator. I had to go back to websites and uninstall and reinstalled the software, read every piece of how to install it properly and it was still a no go! Finally I went on a rouge venture and by FLUKE clicked on one thing that made my studio and emulator connect!! only took 10hrs+ to figure that one out!
I bought a course from UDEMY so on to programming!!

Ironmantri

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Apr 16, 2020
Canada
I have to put this app-building on a halt. My 2009 laptop cannot handle the android studio. It keeps on hanging up and requires a reboot.
I have two choices
1. Upgrade the hardware in my laptop and make my machine better - less expensive
2. buy a new laptop and dig a hole in my credit card :'(

Any computer whiz can recommend an affordable laptop that's good enough for android studio but not break next week?
Thanks

Putt

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Jan 1, 2020
I have to put this app-building on a halt. My 2009 laptop cannot handle the android studio. It keeps on hanging up and requires a reboot.
I have two choices
1. Upgrade the hardware in my laptop and make my machine better - less expensive
2. buy a new laptop and dig a hole in my credit card :'(

Any computer whiz can recommend an affordable laptop that's good enough for android studio but not break next week?
Thanks
Android studio is a pretty heavy piece of software, especially when compiling. Have you considered renting a virtual 'development' computer. A windows based VPS might not be a bad shout assuming that your laptop could maintain a reliable remote connection without slowing down.

Ironmantri

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Apr 16, 2020
Canada
Android studio is a pretty heavy piece of software, especially when compiling. Have you considered renting a virtual 'development' computer. A windows based VPS might not be a bad shout assuming that your laptop could maintain a reliable remote connection without slowing down.
Hello
Im not sure what renting a virtual development means?
I spoke to my wife and she thinks that if Im in this for a long term that I should just suck it up and invest in a good laptop

Putt

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Jan 1, 2020
Hello
Im not sure what renting a virtual development means?
I spoke to my wife and she thinks that if Im in this for a long term that I should just suck it up and invest in a good laptop
If you've got the cash to invest, I definitely would. Basically you can rent a server from a company that actually functions like a normal computer that you can remotely access. You then run android studio on the remote sever. I totally agree, though, if you can afford it, make the upgrade.

Ironmantri

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Apr 16, 2020
Canada
If you've got the cash to invest, I definitely would. Basically you can rent a server from a company that actually functions like a normal computer that you can remotely access. You then run android studio on the remote sever. I totally agree, though, if you can afford it, make the upgrade.
This is a cool concept!
I just bought myself a laptop so im back to learning again.
I thought that im going to be in this for a long term might as well invest in a machine that can keep up with me. Plus the kids are growing so one day this will help them with their homework etc etc.
Ill get my investment back later down the road.

Thanks for the idea putt!

Ironmantri

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Apr 16, 2020
Canada
A little bit of an update with my progress.
After picking up my new laptop today, i went straight to my lessons and can say that I built an app!32545

Ironmantri

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Apr 16, 2020
Canada
"If there is no struggle, there is no progress"

Ive always taken an App User interface for granted but i never really knew how complicated it is to create one!

Heres my progression so far!

Attachments

• 20200428_181626.jpg
    20200428_181626.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20200428_181827.jpg
    20200428_181827.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 6

Ironmantri

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Apr 16, 2020
Canada
A little bit of an update with my progress:
I met a developer that strongly suggested that I should take Javascript language first before I dive deeper with my app idea. So now I am learning Javascript. This progress just got a little longer but at least I'm in the right path. Done with my 1am break back to coding!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.