The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

One Superpower everyone has, but rarely uses.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I started writing The Millionaire Fastlane when I was 35 when I was young and in the prime of my life. Released it by 37. Today, more than a decade later, I am no longer young.

Yet, I've never been wealthier, happier, and healthier, the latter two being the most important.

In fact, I feel better today at 53 years young than I did at 33 years old.

What's my secret?

I leveraged my superpower, and that superpower is decision-making.

I'm living a dream, and when I reflect on my choices, it boils down to this:

Hard decisions = Easy life.
Easy decisions = Hard life.

What were some of the hard decisions? Here are just a few:

• The hard decision to take the road less traveled and be an entrepreneur where peer pressure, academia, and media promoted a job culture. The easy decision would have been to get a job and pave the way to an unfulfilled life with a seemingly secure paycheck.
  • The hard decision not to get wrapped up in my emotions and get married young to the wrong woman at a time when I was still "finding myself." The easy decision would be to succumb to my emotional impatience and get married fast, only to get divorced years later while enduring the financial turmoil that comes from it.
  • The hard decision to leave cold Chicago for sunny Arizona with no job and no money. The easy decision would be to stay and argue that my friends and family are here! The easy decision would have eroded my happiness, motivation, and zest for life.
  • The hard decision to save and invest a lot of my outsized earnings when I was in my thirties. Instead of buying a fleet of Lambos, I bought one every few years. As such, I can still live the same luxurious life with zero financial stress for the rest of my life. The easy decision would have been to spend everything, avoiding tax burdens and the long game.
  • The hard decision to change my diet. After suffering many chronic health issues in my 30s and early 40s, I made the hard decision to change what I shove into my mouth, which requires daily, if not hourly, discipline. The easy decision would be to continue eating whatever I wanted (the standard American diet), while neglecting the consequences.
  • The hard decision to make fitness a priority in my life. The easy decision to sit on the couch and play video games.
  • The hard decision to continually educate myself. The easy decision is to binge Netflix and constantly entertain myself like the average person.

Every day, you face numerous choices, from the trivial to the complex. However, the hard decisions are the ones that require courage and sacrifice. Ultimately these are the ones that pave the way for a more comfortable life.

This may seem paradoxical, but there's tremendous power in embracing the tough choices as they force us to confront our fears, shortcomings, and even our deepest desires.

The hard decisions compel us to face reality and take responsibility for our circumstances. Choosing to end a toxic relationship, quitting a secure job to pursue a dream, or accepting a move to a new city for better opportunities are all examples of hard decisions that initially brought me discomfort but eventually led to personal growth and an easier life.

The power of hard choices lies in their transformative nature. They reshape your life, push you out of your comfort zones and test your resilience. This doesn't mean the path after the hard decision will be smooth, but it forces you forward instead of staying stagnant.

In the process, they develop your problem-solving abilities, enhance your emotional intelligence, and increase your adaptability.

These skills can make life's future challenges less loaded with stress and anxiety. Less of those = better life!

The ex-coach of the Phoenix Suns, Monty Williams, always said, "Everything you want is on the other side of hard."

Hard is making the hard choices because they often involve risk and/or sacrifice. Risk is a necessary ingredient for growth and success. Making tough choices often means sacrificing short-term comfort for long-term gain. In doing so, you learn to manage and mitigate risk and understand that failure is not fatal but an opportunity to learn and grow.

Hard decisions also cultivates self-awareness and self-confidence. Each challenging decision you face is an opportunity to understand yourself better to clarify your values, ambitions, and fears. Making these choices, and living with their outcomes, builds confidence in your ability to navigate life's uncertainties, especially in a Fastlane pursuit.

Understanding that difficult choices often pave the path to an easier life.

Whether you agree or not, your superpower is your ability to decide.

To choose.

To work daily toward a life you want to live.

I recognized my superpower young— the idea that I was the drive of my life through choice—and it transformed my life into a dream. Making the easy decisions would have made it hard.

Decide to make the hard decisions.

Or let the easy decisions create a hard life.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
554%
Apr 17, 2022
You might want to check if everything is working well on the forum server.

I think there might be a broken pipe that spills out liquid gold. :gold:

Abhiram

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 12, 2020
India
Hard decisions are throught provoking for group members. If I take hard decision on anything my friends want reason and MJ you give the proper reason to me to defend them. Thanks man!

Isaac Odongo

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Nov 7, 2022
Uganda
The hard decision not to take on more part time teaching jobs and become a TVS(teacher of various schools). Everyone is doing it. Seems the only road to take. I look foolish for not having done it. They seem better off. They gain more fat and ride Indian motorbikes. I have decided go Fastlane with my life. Taking another job isn’t Fastlane. It is chaining my life to the scripted Slowlane.

The hard decision to spend time reading. Everyone I work with doesn't read. They don't have the time. They seem to believe I am idle enough to read. Sometimes I feel out of place. Sometimes I feel they may ridicule me. But I have chosen to be a reader and lifelong learner and loved it. Only the top most workmates read. And these are board members. Others aren't even updated in their own disciplines.

The decision not to get married yet. This is very sensitive in Uganda. Theories are built around someone of my type. But the transformation I am undergoing these recent months since mid last year are too revolutionary and rapid and huge that I disbelieve any average person can easily cope with me. Which is why I have foregone having any serious relationship. I just don't have the time and energy to pursue one. When I have stabilised. And established my person, I will seek a better half. When money is no longer a limiting a factor as well.

I need to make others this year.

HabitsCampaigner

Jim Miotke
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Jan 6, 2021
Monterey, CA
This is gold.

Hard: starting business; quitting drinking, drugs; going vegan/pescatarian; reading/attending seminars; staying married, working through the hard times... oh and BIG ONE: letting my kid fly solo and suffer consequences from his decisions.

Easy: Netflix, Fortnite (man that felt meaningless after a while)

Sometimes, decision making is hard. I wrote this up just now to help anyone in that boat:
Having a hard time making decisions?

Nazca

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
May 3, 2023
France
Thanks for this reminder, MJ. I am grateful you are close to your community.
Embracing difficulty needs to be in everyone's philosophy.
Everything you want is on the other side of hard.
Thanks for this one. It is powerful.

This concept is applicable to any field.
  • Sports (do 1% better than yesterday)
  • Diet (choose healthy rather than fat)
  • Learning (read and practice instead of scrolling and netflixing)
  • Emotions (compare with your yesterday self instead of comparing yourself with others)
  • Social intelligence (dare having an incomfortable talk with your boss, parents or life partner)
  • Self-care (go for a walk instead of watching TV or p***, control the information you put in your brain. Be grateful instead of openly complaining)
  • Work (plan your day instead of freestyling your tasks)
  • ... complete the list!
Embrace difficulty.

Also, this is hope giving. I always had the limiting belief that if I didn't succeed before my 30s, my life wouldn't be a living dream. You are proving me wrong - thank you.

Vasudev Soni

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Jul 31, 2022
Ghaziabad, IN
I started writing The Millionaire Fastlane when I was 35 when I was young and in the prime of my life. Released it by 37. Today, more than a decade later, I am no longer young.

Yet, I've never been wealthier, happier, and healthier, the latter two being the most important.

What's my secret?

• The hard decision to take the road less traveled and be an entrepreneur where peer pressure, academia, and media promoted a job culture. The easy decision would have been to get a job and pave the way to an unfulfilled life with a seemingly secure paycheck.
  • The hard decision not to get wrapped up in my emotions and get married young to the wrong woman at a time when I was still "finding myself." The easy decision would be to succumb to my emotional impatience and get married fast, only to get divorced years later while enduring the financial turmoil that comes from it.
  • The hard decision to leave cold Chicago for sunny Arizona with no job and no money. The easy decision would be to stay and argue that my friends and family are here! The easy decision would have eroded my happiness, motivation, and zest for life.
  • The hard decision to save and invest a lot of my outsized earnings when I was in my thirties. Instead of buying a fleet of Lambos, I bought one every few years. As such, I can still live the same luxurious life with zero financial stress for the rest of my life. The easy decision would have been to spend everything, avoiding tax burdens and the long game.
  • The hard decision to change my diet. After suffering many chronic health issues in my 30s and early 40s, I made the hard decision to change what I shove into my mouth, which requires daily, if not hourly, discipline. The easy decision would be to continue eating whatever I wanted (the standard American diet), while neglecting the consequences.
  • The hard decision to make fitness a priority in my life. The easy decision to sit on the couch and play video games.
  • The hard decision to continually educate myself. The easy decision is to binge Netflix and constantly entertain myself like the average person.

Every day, you face numerous choices, from the trivial to the complex. However, the hard decisions are the ones that require courage and sacrifice. Ultimately these are the ones that pave the way for a more comfortable life.

This may seem paradoxical, but there's tremendous power in embracing the tough choices as they force us to confront our fears, shortcomings, and even our deepest desires.

The hard decisions compel us to face reality and take responsibility for our circumstances. Choosing to end a toxic relationship, quitting a secure job to pursue a dream, or accepting a move to a new city for better opportunities are all examples of hard decisions that initially brought me discomfort but eventually led to personal growth and an easier life.

The power of hard choices lies in their transformative nature. They reshape your life, push you out of your comfort zones and test your resilience. This doesn't mean the path after the hard decision will be smooth, but it forces you forward instead of staying stagnant.

In the process, they develop your problem-solving abilities, enhance your emotional intelligence, and increase your adaptability.

These skills can make life's future challenges less loaded with stress and anxiety. Less of those = better life!

The ex-coach of the Phoenix Suns, Monty Williams, always said, "Everything you want is on the other side of hard."

Hard is making the hard choices because they often involve risk and/or sacrifice. Risk is a necessary ingredient for growth and success. Making tough choices often means sacrificing short-term comfort for long-term gain. In doing so, you learn to manage and mitigate risk and understand that failure is not fatal but an opportunity to learn and grow.

Hard decisions also cultivates self-awareness and self-confidence. Each challenging decision you face is an opportunity to understand yourself better to clarify your values, ambitions, and fears. Making these choices, and living with their outcomes, builds confidence in your ability to navigate life's uncertainties, especially in a Fastlane pursuit.

To choose.

I recognized my superpower young— the idea that I was the drive of my life through choice—and it transformed my life into a dream. Making the easy decisions would have made it hard.

Your content is absolutely gold. You are the reason that made me take these hard decisions in my life. Thank you @MJ DeMarco.

Cyns

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 14, 2023

To choose.

Every day, for every choice I have, I ask myself: What would my future self do?

It really helps me focus on what is important.

HabitsCampaigner

Jim Miotke
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Jan 6, 2021
Monterey, CA
Every day, for every choice I have, I ask myself: What would my future self do?

It really helps me focus on what is important.
Great practice, @Cyns I definitely would have made a lot of good hard decisions sooner if I had done this.

Shono

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
314%
Aug 8, 2021
Thank you for this amazing reminder MJ. I will admit I have not been keeping my impulses in check and the limbic part of my brain often takes the lead. I'll make sure to change that and become more self aware!
Self awareness is the first step to keeping your limbic system and impulses at rest. You are well on your way.

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany

What's my secret?

To choose.

One of my life values is to take the harder choice. Reading this reminded me that I need to make a hard choice regarding my current money chasing hustle.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
From my observation and my personal experience decision point is not necessarily the hardest but the will to persevere through.

The difficult hurdle always emerge when you have a realization that the task you are embarking requires “much more effort for much less result”. than what you initially anticipated. It seems like a recurring theme for me and many others.

But once I mentally adjust and accept that anything worth doing is hard. Things become easier.

I draw analogy from military history that war is often won by the side who is willing to accept a much higher level of casualty.

I would paraphrase it into “Be nice to yourself then life will be ruthless towards you”.

The socially acceptable advice of “working hard” is to a certain degree misleading. There is unspoken assumption that “If work hard you get what you want” that has no close to reality once you step into the real world as an adult.

It is more like “unconditional acceptance to pain and sacrifice for nothing until you get lucky”.

Last edited:

Longshot

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Aug 17, 2012
Good stuff! For many (including myself), the hardest part is staying on track and continually making those hard decisions. There are a few people who can make a hard decision once (like "I'll never eat dessert again") and stick with it. For the rest of us, it's a daily struggle with some relapses and getting back on track.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
One of my life values is to take the harder choice. Reading this reminded me that I need to make a hard choice regarding my current money chasing hustle.

No sure if I'd call it "money chasing" if you identified a legitimate need. People money chase with ventures that have zero reference to demand, or because "guru X" said this is the new big thing!

Don Deer

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jun 10, 2020
Toronto

What's my secret?

To choose.

Word for word this is just the honest truth for those who are determined. Thanks for the reminder @MJ DeMarco

gloriusubiquity

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Jul 1, 2019
I think a hard decision I still need to make is choosing to not focus on climbing the career ladder. Instead, the harder decision would be to use any extra time I have working on side businesses until one can replace or even exceed my corporate income. It's a difficult decision because most people default to climbing the career ladder for ego purposes and on the surface it's the easier decision. To parrot what MJ already said, the more difficult decision is to take the path less traveled.

NathanN

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Jul 27, 2022
Vancouver, B.C.
I think a hard decision I still need to make is choosing to not focus on climbing the career ladder. Instead, the harder decision would be to use any extra time I have working on side businesses until one can replace or even exceed my corporate income. It's a difficult decision because most people default to climbing the career ladder for ego purposes and on the surface it's the easier decision. To parrot what MJ already said, the more difficult decision is to take the path less traveled.
Same here man.
Focusing on building a business today is harder, but the rewards will be so much greater. The goal is to sacrifice today in yield of a better tomorrow.

Chrisrod2597

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Feb 3, 2022

What's my secret?

To choose.

Thank you MJ this is exactly what I needed to read. I constantly have an uphill battle with decisions I make on a daily basis.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
There is nothing simple about this subject. It is usually neither binary nor singular. What I'm saying is that most difficult journeys have many steps and a series of decisions to emplement each of those steps. There are many forks, twists, and turns. It's not one and done. It takes getting up every day and doing hard stuff again and again. And then there's an ironic ending. I find that taking that rocky road ends up being the doorway to a much better life.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.