The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

One Man Shop?

ZCO62

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 1, 2013
I've been looking for a side business for quite some time now. Racking my brain for ideas almost non stop. I've come up with a few that may or may not be worth mentioning.

My first one was oxygen tank supplier. I'm a pest control tech and a student. Working pest control you get to see how a lot of people live. I've noticed that a ton of people both and and outside of nursing homes use oxygen. As far as getting into the business I have no idea.

I've also been looking up different service businesses that work commercially with other businesses. Such as power washing gas stations, and so on.

I've been researching different forms of advertising businesses as well. Since I am in the college seen and I know there are companies that would like to get their product in front of college aged customers.

Although this isn't a one man shop idea, I've thought of non medical in home senior health care companies. I live in an area where it is warm year round so there are a surplus of elderly people.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thought of different manufacturing type ideas and even working with local dairy farmers with their feed.

Haha sorry for the wide spread categories, I'm wanting to take a risk to improve my situation and be my own boss!

Thanks for the read!!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
see if you can figure out a niche serving the affluent elderly. they are home bound and need repairs, filters changed, furniture setup, TV & electronics setup, stuff delivered and on and on. Not real fastlane, but if you hit on something that could be franchised you never know. Avoid the lower income elderly, they want everything for free or at 1950's prices.

Joozed

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Oct 29, 2013
I would suggest starting with what you are passionate about rather then trying to pick any idea out of the air. What are your favorite hobbies? What are you most skilled at in life? Starting with things you that really care about or are really good at is great way to take simple ideas or other niche needs and to turn them into big dreams.

I think an interesting service for the elderly would be a check up service where lets say in its most basic form was a visit and scheduled skype chat with a loved one that you would coordinate on regular basis.

D

DeletedUser2

I would suggest starting with what you are passionate about rather then trying to pick any idea out of the air. What are your favorite hobbies? What are you most skilled at in life? Starting with things you that really care about or are really good at is great way to take simple ideas or other niche needs and to turn them into big dreams

BULLSHIT. dont start with YOU.

worst advice this week.

as for oxygen, its under so many regulations, that it is both crippling, and capital intensive. ugh. no way. We launched a DME (Durable Medical Equipment) company. sold it off 3 months later because I had an "ah ha" hell no moment...

there are a dozen threads on this forum, on how to find a niche or find a product, or find a starving market. go read first. don't be lazy, use the search function.
Z

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
I had an "ah ha" hell no moment...

Priceless!

To the OP, focus on other peoples needs enough and the product/business/service will become easily interchangeable (and the better biz will become clearer to you so long as you do the numbers and due diligence on each and figure out how they fare against the CENTS principles).

Don't just impale yourself on a biz, do enough diligence that you have a clearer choice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Windsurfer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Jul 5, 2013
Minnesota
If you want to work with the elderly, buy their house. They may very well have the loan paid off, need money for medical expenses, don't have the energy to fix it up, and you won't have to worry about all the regulations surrounding their care. Don't mean to sound harsh but you are actually doing them a favor. I would not want to deal with maintaining a house when I'm that old. You can rent it out or flip it. I'm about to close on a probate duplex that still has rotary dial phones in it and some gorgeous 1960's wood paneling!

ZCO62

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 1, 2013
Thanks for all the info. Definitely need to read up on a few things!

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
@Windsurfer's idea is brilliant, although frowned upon by the relatives. There are reverse mortgage companies out there, and they are very aggressive with their marketing - sometimes even deceptive. Find a better way to execute and BAM! You're set!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.