The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

On the verge of becoming unscripted...

FastlaneFlo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Feb 19, 2019
Hamburg, Germany
Hello unscripters and fastlaners!

I decided to join the forum today as I finished listening to the fastlane millionaire today. I got both books as audio books, but started with unscripted - by far the most inspiring book I have listened to in a while, articulating so many truths that it is quite hard to continue working in the scripted world.

So who am I and what am I doing here?

I am 29 years old and head of business development at a startup, before that I got training from the incubator that built this startup in the fields of online marketing, business intelligence and business development. And before that I finished my studies in industrial engineering with distinction from a top tier school in Germany, I conducted internships in Investment Banking, Strategy Consulting and at Rocket Internet - so I would say I have quite a well-rounded skill and experience set. I have a good job, my colleagues are nice people (most of them), the pay is good and I cannot complain, but something feels wrong and has been feeling wrong for a while. I think one of the main reasons that I entered the startup sector was the idea of an exponential wealth accumulation and to be motivated by this, also to have people around me where I can learn from and grow with like in no other field. Reality unfortunately is different - when I joined there were only very few to no inspiring people I could learn from and also the aspect of making millions seemed far away. Don't get me wrong, I still learnt - skills, python, ecommerce, SQL, online marketing, recruiting, law and designing contracts - plus, now as head of business development I have a couple of virtual shares of the company that would be worth something in case of an exit, but the exit seems far away.

But something still feels wrong - I think it's a combination of the product / business model (price comparison for fashion) that does not inspire me that flaws all the efforts - the best data model, online marketing, sales funnel, recruiting pipeline is not meaningful if the cause is not. This is something that I underestimated, but I have not met a single person in all the ventures that I was working in, that really loved the product or purpose and I think that bothers me - I don't know if in fields like education, sustainability and the like, this would be different, but in the companies I worked at, it was about money, business growth and not about a great product that actually tackles meaningful causes. I feel I am wasting away some of the best years of my life, my energy for a product that does not have a deeper meaning.

On the other hand, I started working on a side project with a good friend, which also will not add much purpose to the world, but if executed well, has the potential to free me from the script, giving me the freedom to then "do what I find important in life". I am enjoying the work we are doing here and I can feel how inspiring the motivation to build something own is.

To wrap it up - I am unsatisfied with how my path has developed and need to change something. The opportunity to build this project now is more inspiring to me than to stick to my current job, but I'm also afraid of this jump into insecurity and leaving my team and the company hanging. I am open for any kind of advice or key questions that I have not asked myself yet. Maybe some of you have felt the same way once...?

Looking forward to have interesting discussions with you and thanks for taking the time to read.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...