The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Oilfield Worker Wondering What to do With Limited Time

Damedius

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Oct 18, 2014
I read TMF about a month ago,. It lead to the forums and I recently signed up. I have been reading through many of the various threads and have been amazed at the quality of some of the posts.

Right now I'm in my slowlane job working long hours. The plan is to work up until around April, when I should get laid off. I was wondering what some of the more experienced people would do, if they had to start over with very limited time, 1-2 hours a night. Or is that even enough time to start something? Should I just spend this time studying the forum and maybe learning new skills.

I will have lots of time to put into building something once I get laid off but I wouldn't mind laying the foundation now if at all possible.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Damedius

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Oct 18, 2014
Network in the business. Start a service company. A guy here bought a wellhead manu/repair company, turned it into a 200 million company. The guy is 35 and a former accountant.
That's a good idea. I want to get out of the oilfield though. Tends to be non stop work during the winter season. Plus there isn't too many women to look at. Tends to be 20:1 plus ratios.

Still I will pay attention and see if I can hear about any problems to solve/opportunities.

Dropout

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Nov 27, 2013
Copenhagen, Denmark
That's a good idea. I want to get out of the oilfield though. Tends to be non stop work during the winter season. Plus there isn't too many women to look at. Tends to be 20:1 plus ratios.

Still I will pay attention and see if I can hear about any problems to solve/opportunities.

Well you just mentioned one...

Darius

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Apr 8, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio

My first question is, why are there not many women working in that field?
Second question is, do women want to work in that field?
third question is, if there's a demand for women in that field other than "to look at", fill that void.

Also if men just want women there to look at, fill that void that's causing them to want to look at women. Oilfield dating service? Virtual sexual stimulator for break time? Phone sex hotline for oilfield workers?

Idk just naming stuff, but you get the idea.

D

DeletedUser394

My first question is, why are there not many women working in that field?
Second question is, do women want to work in that field?

I know this is more rhetorical than anything, but there aren't many women on the rigs (outside of cleaning/cooking) because the work is absolutely brutal and breaks many people.

The pay is great, but the work is insane. Depending on where he's working, the weather is ridiculous as well.

Michael W.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Mar 2, 2009
Ok City, OK

Your thinking small. Think BIGGER.

voltron

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Oct 26, 2014
Canada
imo, any amount of time you can put in is good. as you said you'll have more time in april. if you have an idea throw up a landing page and send some traffic to it. see how it does. shouldnt take you any longer that like 3-4 hours to get a good landing page up and im sure you can find some ways to send traffic to it. depending on your budget you can speed up that process. just get started!

TWR

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jan 20, 2014
North East Scotland
Tends to be non stop work during the winter season.

I know you've said that you would rather get out of it but if there is non stop work, could you not put your experience and knowledge into building a team to do that non stop work for you?

Milkanic

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Apr 17, 2012
Madison, WI
1.) Figure out ways to make the rigs faster/safer. Learn cad and study licensing/patenting in your 1-2 hours off time. Sell pick axes, not mine for gold.
2.) Figure out ways to reduce the HR/recruitment cost of the rigs. Start a rig employment agency and recruit kids out of high school. Have the rigs pay you and you pay the employees, taking a cut.
3.) Import supplies to the rigs. Whatever is low in supply and high in demand.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
If you want to play on a really big ball field my advice is to seek out oportunities in your field... Oil retrieval is huge.

Look for inefficiencies and ways to improve or make the process of retrieval easier. Look for ways to automate the process and eliminate the need for as much labor. I know nothing of the process, but I know a hand full of Centi-millionaires who made their wealth in oil from finding a way to improve and turning it into a business.

So on the contrary, you are in a position to explore a great avenue to wealth, don't be so quick to look for something "you can do in your spare time".

Damedius

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Oct 18, 2014
I appreciate all the responses.

There aren't many women in the oil patch because most jobs are labour intensive, very few women would be able to most of these jobs. It is also long hours, usually far away from home. The few women that are in the patch are usually medics, safety, kitchen staff or clerks. Outside of becoming a pimp I think it would be hard to solve this problem, though it would be very lucrative if it weren't for the downsides.

I guess I want to get out of the patch so badly I hadn't considered starting a fastlane business working in it. That and I imagine it would take a sizeable investment to start something.

I have already though of one idea for helping people get jobs in the patch and explaining the different types of work so people know what to expect. I'll change my mindset from escaping the patch to coming up with ideas to make money from it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...