The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Offshore engineer turned mom turned entrepreneur

racyred09

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
359%
Nov 28, 2017
USA
Hello everyone! Obviously new so here is a little about me...

I graduated college (chemical engineer) and got a job working offshore in Norway, then Scotland. Pretty much the antithesis of freedom! Got married, had my first child, and realized I can't go back to that type of lifestyle because I don't want to miss anything with her, so I went back to school and got my master's (petroleum engineering this time). That was a mistake, but at least it taught me how much I can accomplish at night while kids are sleeping!

Anyway fast forward to now, my daughter is 4 and I have a 2-year-old as well. Last summer I read MFL and it changed my life. I had caught the entrepreneur bug (mainly because I didn't want to do anything that would sacrifice my precious time with my kids and couldn't bear to get another engineering job) but my ideas still involved trading time for money. Anyway, after I read the book I started a blog (no readers), launched my first product (I sell a lot, but just breaking even currently) and learned to code to some extent. Now I'm thinking about buying a business in a similar market and hoping I can find some other people who've discussed whether that's a good idea or not! Looking forward to becoming part of this community!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

NewManRising

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Welcome. Nice intro. It seems you have taking some good actions. Hope to see you around a lot.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
welcome to the forum. Where are you originally from? I bet living and working in Norway and Scotland was nice.. I am sure there are ample opportunities in oil and gas in terms of value creation. glad to have you on here

racyred09

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
359%
Nov 28, 2017
USA
welcome to the forum. Where are you originally from? I bet living and working in Norway and Scotland was nice.. I am sure there are ample opportunities in oil and gas in terms of value creation. glad to have you on here

It was honestly a dream to live in both...once I got the job offer I didn't really care that much what the job was! There are loads of opportunities in oil and gas (I remember when I was offshore they told me these little magnets that you stick on some equipment on the rig sold for thousands of dollars, the price of everything is elevated when you label it as offshore equipment!), however you have to stay pretty involved in the industry to know what the opportunities are and right now I'm pretty out of touch. Not a bad idea though :) Thanks Arun!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Welcome to the forum Racy! Sounds like you're taking productive action.

Glad to hear TMF was helpful. Check out Unscripted as it should expand on how to find your first successful venture. (That's profitable!)

but my ideas still involved trading time for money.

No worries, that's very common when getting started. That can go on for years.

racyred09

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
359%
Nov 28, 2017
USA
Hi @racyred09 , great to see another mom here :) Will be following your journey, good luck! :)

I was wondering if there were other moms on this forum (and hoping there were)! Nothing like having kids to motivate you to do something bigger with your life!

I will follow yours as well, thanks CreatingValue!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...