The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Offered 500$ For Text Link. What Should I Do ?

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...
D

DeletedUser9

A new website I created got an email from some other website owner offering 500$ for a text link on one of my pages (article).

Will this hurt my rankings ? and reputation with google ?

I see many reputable sites for example entrepreneur.com with (from around the web links to other sites)

I'm thinking of charging him a monthly fee for the link 50-100$

It could be a huge revenue boost if I get a couple of text links on each page blended in as around the web links.

As always thank you in advance

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MVDH

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Jul 29, 2012
Cairns, Australia
I would personally not take the offer. The reason being, recent developments in Google's web spam team have seen websites selling links being "penalised" just as much as websites with bad links pointing to their site.

ilrein

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 1, 2012
Chase,

Can you share details about your site? How'd you make a new website and got that kind of attention? Would you share the link? What's your background? What was the article about? How popular is the site--and how old is it?

<3

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
Depends on how the link is displayed and where it's embedded. If you can find a way to naturally embed the link and it is related to the content then you should not get penalized. If you just add the link at the end and it is not related, google may catch on and penalize you for it. I would take the deal, but make sure you take the extra time to make the link look natural and not out of place.

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
Seems like a too good to be true type of deal.

Then again, I don't know anything about SEO or Internet marketing.

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
Seems like a too good to be true type of deal.
Where it's a new site I am skeptical but back when I owned Skinny Moose Media, I sold links for $75 - $150 at a time but it was a one time purchase. I had some people who wanted to buy links on a monthly basis. Usually those were like $15/m. I didn't accept all of them but 30% of all my income was generated by text links.

SerpKing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Jun 6, 2013
If you would consider it a big revenue boost then you should do it. There is a 0.000001% chance of repercussions from Google.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
You might want to take a look:

Nosferatu

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Mar 7, 2013
Long Island, New York
as someone who does corporate level SEO , i imagine if he's offering that much money for a link , it's because your site or page is relevant to his niche -- and thus getting a link from you is a big deal, and would help him greatly. (because PR+Relevance= rankings) -- my previous comment still stands, if it's not against your business or hurting you, id take the money.

forget what matt cutts says, there are plenty of things he says shouldn't happen, but still do -- i got plenty of case studies to prove it.

MVDH

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Jul 29, 2012
Cairns, Australia
as someone who does corporate level SEO , i imagine if he's offering that much money for a link , it's because your site or page is relevant to his niche -- and thus getting a link from you is a big deal, and would help him greatly. (because PR+Relevance= rankings) -- my previous comment still stands, if it's not against your business or hurting you, id take the money.

forget what matt cutts says, there are plenty of things he says shouldn't happen, but still do -- i got plenty of case studies to prove it.

PR+Relevance != rankings

I'd be worried about your "corporate level SEO" clients if this is what your strategy is for them.

Pagerank, in fact, has nothing to do with rankings (fyi - http://moz.com/blog/ranking-factors-2013)

They do discuss Page Authority, which is their own metric created by combining a bunch of different metrics

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.