The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Not happy at my current job

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

Antliv8

New Contributor
Apr 20, 2020
New york
Not happy at my job as an Electrician and dont know where to go from here

just trying to hear some ideas from you guys
Been in this industry since 2015

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
May 9, 2017
Washington State
What do you hate about it?

What was your reason for starting in the first place? What changed?

What is your current situation/lifestyle?

What is your dream situation/lifestyle?

Hopefully then we can dig deeper and then help create a roadmap from where you are to where you're trying to go.

Antliv8

New Contributor
Apr 20, 2020
New york
What do you hate about it?

What was your reason for starting in the first place? What changed?

What is your current situation/lifestyle?

What is your dream situation/lifestyle?

Hopefully then we can dig deeper and then help create a roadmap from where you are to where you're trying to go.
So im a construction electrician
What i hate about

-it doesnt pay well right away and even when you reach that point itll be about 100 before NY taxes hit so really its 60k

- realizing physical labor just isnt worth the stress on the body every day

-my commute can be over a hour and a half long
Honestly the reason i started was i didnt want to waste time doing the college route and collecting debt so a family member that also does the same thing got me this job and i didnt have any other ideas or options at the time so i just stuck with it since 2015

my current situation is debt free, single with no kids living at home cant really afford rent with the pay im getting at the moment

Been thinking about doing something along the line of being a real estate agent , no longer want to be in physical labor and traveling into the city with crazy traffic

sorry for the long post and thanks for the reply !

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Do you have a larger vision for what you want out of life or are you cool with just paying bills until you die? Not a trick question just wondering.

Antliv8

New Contributor
Apr 20, 2020
New york
Do you have a larger vision for what you want out of life or are you cool with just paying bills until you die? Not a trick question just wondering.
No that seems like a boring and repetitive life.. i want freedom, being able to not worry about how im going to pay my bills..being able to travel with more than the lousy 2 weeks im offered off from my job..
Defintely dont want the life my parents have which is work, go home sleep and wait for the weekend to do nothing

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
May 9, 2017
Washington State
No that seems like a boring and repetitive life.. i want freedom, being able to not worry about how im going to pay my bills..being able to travel with more than the lousy 2 weeks im offered off from my job..
Defintely dont want the life my parents have which is work, go home sleep and wait for the weekend to do nothing
it sounds like you want to work less, not more. Correct?

Which sounds better to you?

You live on a beach in a foreign country and have other young, cool friends and a girlfriend you hangout with and have fun with all day. You run a small digital business and make 5-8k a month and get to travel around a lot.

You work days and nights for years and sacrifice your sanity, mind and health to build a large business where you are stuck in one spot for a while, and you have to eliminate all of your hobbies for a few years while you build. But after a number of years you are worth 86 million and you get to do things other people can't even dream of. You have built something substantial and you will leave a lasting legacy.

monfii

Gold Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Mar 3, 2020
Brussels

You live on a beach in a foreign country and have other young, cool friends and a girlfriend you hangout with and have fun with all day. You run a small digital business and make 5-8k a month and get to travel around a lot.

You work days and nights for years and sacrifice your sanity, mind and health to build a large business where you are stuck in one spot for a while, and you have to eliminate all of your hobbies for a few years while you build. But after a number of years you are worth 86 million and you get to do things other people can't even dream of. You have built something substantial and you will leave a lasting legacy.
Second option. Beach is boring after three days. Man needs something to work on.

swerving2sucess

New Contributor
Mar 6, 2021

just trying to hear some ideas from you guys
Been in this industry since 2015
Try to write something about your experience. You could also offer some professional advice about the area.

James90

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Jul 2, 2019
Hawaii
You've got 5 years experience, knowledge, and connections in your industry.

Think how you can leverage that if you were to do something else.

Example:

Marketing: Market for other electrical contractors

Import/Wholesales: Source/sell electrical work materials/equipment

Service - IF you can have your own crew, get into a niche in your trade . Ex. Installing EV charging ports in Condos/parking lots, etc....

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Start a business and make 10 million, so easy a caveman can do it!

Sean P

Contributor
Jul 4, 2014
What makes you think that you will be happy doing something else when you don't seem to be sure about what it could be?
my current situation is debt free, single with no kids living at home cant really afford rent with the pay im getting at the moment

Been thinking about doing something along the line of being a real estate agent , no longer want to be in physical labor and traveling into the city with crazy traffic
That's a dream life, in today's world and for many years to come. Compare it with struggling under a ton of debt, having a wife and kids for whom you can't buy anything except a little food, and no home to live in - the current state of millions in the world, but then they do not have the time or anyone to complain to.

Do you know how tough a real estate agent's job is, and how much boring it can get? Go ask one of them, before you find that you are not happy as a real estate agent either.

Speaking of now, selling real estate during a pandemic that doesn't seem to have an end date? Real estate agents used to find convincing customers difficult until early 2020, but now don't have any customers to deal with in the first place, and spend their time sitting in empty offices.

As an electrician you don't have to be the best to get paid. A real estate agent's income is directly proportional to how good he is in his work.
How about no proper home, no time to sleep and spending the weekend doing temp jobs at the only place you could find to supplement your weekday income? I know people who do this happily and do not complain, but are proud that they were at least able to provide for their family. Probably the same thoughts your parents may have had when they were "waiting for the weekend to do nothing", while putting their hopes on you.

I hope this gives you a different perspective. Stop fishing around for random ideas at the first place you could find. Instead read books, learn things, find out what you excel at, work hard at it and after years and decades, look back with satisfaction at what you have achieved.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Antliv8

New Contributor
Apr 20, 2020
New york

I mean theyre both ideal, i think its more of idk what direction to head in being that i dont want to do physical labor anymore

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Not sure how to start? This free book will teach you how to build a successful web design business
If there’s one thread I see repeated over and over again on the forum, it goes like this: “I...
MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2021
Any scholarship programs for those who can't afford the course? Broke but need this course :)...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
It's an affiliate link, so it's hard to give those up! The affiliate links are automatically...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
A week ago someone asked if one of my courses is still relevant (referring to the Upwork...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Thanks for clearing that up. What do you recommend for those who are still in the process of...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
I have not offered one of these in a while, but it looks like I have time to take on an...

Forum Sponsor

Grow an online business:
- Start immediately!
- Master business skills!
- 100+ Fastlane students enrolled!
Review & Details >

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers