The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Not happy at my current job (Electrician, NY)

Antliv8

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Apr 20, 2020
New york
Not happy at my job as an Electrician and dont know where to go from here

just trying to hear some ideas from you guys
Been in this industry since 2015

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
What do you hate about it?

What was your reason for starting in the first place? What changed?

What is your current situation/lifestyle?

What is your dream situation/lifestyle?

Hopefully then we can dig deeper and then help create a roadmap from where you are to where you're trying to go.

Antliv8

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Apr 20, 2020
New york
What do you hate about it?

What was your reason for starting in the first place? What changed?

What is your current situation/lifestyle?

What is your dream situation/lifestyle?

Hopefully then we can dig deeper and then help create a roadmap from where you are to where you're trying to go.
So im a construction electrician
What i hate about

-it doesnt pay well right away and even when you reach that point itll be about 100 before NY taxes hit so really its 60k

- realizing physical labor just isnt worth the stress on the body every day

-my commute can be over a hour and a half long
Honestly the reason i started was i didnt want to waste time doing the college route and collecting debt so a family member that also does the same thing got me this job and i didnt have any other ideas or options at the time so i just stuck with it since 2015

my current situation is debt free, single with no kids living at home cant really afford rent with the pay im getting at the moment

Been thinking about doing something along the line of being a real estate agent , no longer want to be in physical labor and traveling into the city with crazy traffic

sorry for the long post and thanks for the reply !

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Do you have a larger vision for what you want out of life or are you cool with just paying bills until you die? Not a trick question just wondering.

Antliv8

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Apr 20, 2020
New york
Do you have a larger vision for what you want out of life or are you cool with just paying bills until you die? Not a trick question just wondering.
No that seems like a boring and repetitive life.. i want freedom, being able to not worry about how im going to pay my bills..being able to travel with more than the lousy 2 weeks im offered off from my job..
Defintely dont want the life my parents have which is work, go home sleep and wait for the weekend to do nothing

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
No that seems like a boring and repetitive life.. i want freedom, being able to not worry about how im going to pay my bills..being able to travel with more than the lousy 2 weeks im offered off from my job..
Defintely dont want the life my parents have which is work, go home sleep and wait for the weekend to do nothing
it sounds like you want to work less, not more. Correct?

Which sounds better to you?

You live on a beach in a foreign country and have other young, cool friends and a girlfriend you hangout with and have fun with all day. You run a small digital business and make 5-8k a month and get to travel around a lot.

You work days and nights for years and sacrifice your sanity, mind and health to build a large business where you are stuck in one spot for a while, and you have to eliminate all of your hobbies for a few years while you build. But after a number of years you are worth 86 million and you get to do things other people can't even dream of. You have built something substantial and you will leave a lasting legacy.

D

Deleted78083

You live on a beach in a foreign country and have other young, cool friends and a girlfriend you hangout with and have fun with all day. You run a small digital business and make 5-8k a month and get to travel around a lot.

You work days and nights for years and sacrifice your sanity, mind and health to build a large business where you are stuck in one spot for a while, and you have to eliminate all of your hobbies for a few years while you build. But after a number of years you are worth 86 million and you get to do things other people can't even dream of. You have built something substantial and you will leave a lasting legacy.
Second option. Beach is boring after three days. Man needs something to work on.

swerving2sucess

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Mar 6, 2021

just trying to hear some ideas from you guys
Been in this industry since 2015
Try to write something about your experience. You could also offer some professional advice about the area.

James90

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jul 2, 2019
Hawaii
You've got 5 years experience, knowledge, and connections in your industry.

Think how you can leverage that if you were to do something else.

Example:

Marketing: Market for other electrical contractors

Import/Wholesales: Source/sell electrical work materials/equipment

Service - IF you can have your own crew, get into a niche in your trade . Ex. Installing EV charging ports in Condos/parking lots, etc....

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Start a business and make 10 million, so easy a caveman can do it!

Sean P

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Jul 4, 2014
What makes you think that you will be happy doing something else when you don't seem to be sure about what it could be?
my current situation is debt free, single with no kids living at home cant really afford rent with the pay im getting at the moment

Been thinking about doing something along the line of being a real estate agent , no longer want to be in physical labor and traveling into the city with crazy traffic
That's a dream life, in today's world and for many years to come. Compare it with struggling under a ton of debt, having a wife and kids for whom you can't buy anything except a little food, and no home to live in - the current state of millions in the world, but then they do not have the time or anyone to complain to.

Do you know how tough a real estate agent's job is, and how much boring it can get? Go ask one of them, before you find that you are not happy as a real estate agent either.

Speaking of now, selling real estate during a pandemic that doesn't seem to have an end date? Real estate agents used to find convincing customers difficult until early 2020, but now don't have any customers to deal with in the first place, and spend their time sitting in empty offices.

As an electrician you don't have to be the best to get paid. A real estate agent's income is directly proportional to how good he is in his work.
How about no proper home, no time to sleep and spending the weekend doing temp jobs at the only place you could find to supplement your weekday income? I know people who do this happily and do not complain, but are proud that they were at least able to provide for their family. Probably the same thoughts your parents may have had when they were "waiting for the weekend to do nothing", while putting their hopes on you.

I hope this gives you a different perspective. Stop fishing around for random ideas at the first place you could find. Instead read books, learn things, find out what you excel at, work hard at it and after years and decades, look back with satisfaction at what you have achieved.

Antliv8

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Apr 20, 2020
New york

I mean theyre both ideal, i think its more of idk what direction to head in being that i dont want to do physical labor anymore

Phil Yu

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Aug 25, 2020
USA, CA
Get to know yourself is step 1. self awareness is everything. Get to know what you actually like, then move your business there.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Sounds like you need a change of scenery. An electrician is a great skill to have and in great demand, a great "fall back". It also sounds like you hate NY -- I'd think about moving to better area that is more suited to how you want to live your life. Since you're single, why not?

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
That's a dream life, in today's world and for many years to come. Compare it with struggling under a ton of debt, having a wife and kids for whom you can't buy anything except a little food, and no home to live in - the current state of millions in the world, but then they do not have the time or anyone to complain to.

Do you know how tough a real estate agent's job is, and how much boring it can get? Go ask one of them, before you find that you are not happy as a real estate agent either.

Speaking of now, selling real estate during a pandemic that doesn't seem to have an end date? Real estate agents used to find convincing customers difficult until early 2020, but now don't have any customers to deal with in the first place, and spend their time sitting in empty offices.

As an electrician you don't have to be the best to get paid. A real estate agent's income is directly proportional to how good he is in his work.
WOW - what a ton of wisdom in so few words! Well said - I salute AND applaud you @Sean P!

First of all - I don't do construction, but I do work closely with people that do. It's not an easy job - but the pay can be great, and there is always work for good people. With that said - ask a roofer, carpet layer, carpenter, and plumber who has the easiest job in construction. Ask them. I did. They all said electricians. Every one of them. I have a nephew, and several good friends, that are glad to be electricians. Sure, it is not an easy job - but try being a plumber or carpet layer. Every one of them I know has shot knees.

Secondly, as the quoted post states - if you're on your own in any job - it's you against every skilled, likeable, and experienced person out there. You will soon learn how the 80/20 rule applies. 20% of the people are pros and they get 80% of the business. The rest fight over the left overs. You can make big money in sales. But the word can and will are miles apart. I am a real estate agent, and I know the hardest working agents out there, and I know the ones that struggle for survival too. Sometimes they are one and the same. It's not easy, and you better get used to working a LOT and not being paid. If you can embrace that, then you might last long enough to get really good and make big money. But, you probably won't. It's a numbers game and you better have something that makes you better than everyone else - or you're just a face in the crowd - and it's a big crowd.

I didn't write all of this to rain on your parade. There are many things you can do - on the side - with little to NO overhead - and make a LOT of money. I run across them ALL the time because I'm attuned to business. Business fascinates me to no end - and the people that run business fascinate me even more. Give me an example. Here's what I came across TODAY. I wasn't looking for it - it just popped up in front of me - and it probably popped up to at least 3/4 of the people here too - but did they pay attention? Nope. They have their own world, so it came and went, and they didn't notice. I'll give it to you right now. It's super easy, and has profit margins of well over 1,000 percent. That's not a typo.

Strawberries. Buy em for $3.00 and sell em for $45.00! Yeah, baby (said in Austin Powers accent). How can you do that? Think for a moment.

Mother's Day. Have you checked what a food basket costs? I was going to buy one for $100 that had maybe $20 worth of food in it, and a nice basket. After buying it, then they charge me another $15 or $20 to deliver it! I've really got to get into this business. The strawberries, by the way, are dipped in chocolate, so naturally that adds another $30 to the price for $2 worth of chocolate. Now - Mother's Day comes and goes - so what do you do after that? Think for a moment.

Hospitals. Get well - babies. Office gifts. Anniverseries. Birthdays.

Can you run this part time? Can you run it out of your house? Can you make an extra $200 a DAY doing this? I think so - but I don't know. I do know you can make a lot more doing this than being a real estate agent - paying MLS fees every month - and insurance - and office fees - and educational classes - and marketing. And on and on it goes - every month.

I found companies selling only one thing - like a fruit basket, or brownies, or loli-pops. This isn't rocket science. Damn - you don't even have to deliver it - call one of those Grub Hub delivery companies. How easy can this be?

I'm done. Hopefully I've added a bit more insight so you THINK things through more. Everyone wants a cushy job that makes a lot of money. When you find out how to do that, let us all know. I came up with ONE very easy way to do it. I have about 30 more ideas that would also have the same end result. @Johnny boy mows lawns for a living. He doesn't mow them - but his workers do. He's a genius at running his company. Pure genius. How did he come up with this brilliant idea? He didn't come up with it - it was in front of him, just like it was for everyone else. He does it better than anyone else does though. Think about THAT for a moment. I would not want to compete against @Johnny boy in ANY business. He is an alpha predator. Divide and conquer. Be glad that he chimed in here, as you can learn a lot from him (I sure have!).

If you think being an electrician is hard - boy, oh boy, wait till you get into the real world. It's eat or be eaten. Get ready...

Last edited:

peddletothemetal

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Apr 5, 2021
A big commute, low salary, and can't afford rent: really does sound like NY is unworkable and you're not really getting ahead.

I'd take some time off somewhere cheap, then let your energy and soul return, chill out, see and do some new things, and ponder your next move.

Electrician is a good trade to have under your belt, but there may be better options than plying it in the way you have been.

Last edited:

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Start a business and make 10 million, so easy a caveman can do it!
we should be at 1m a year profit with about 900 customers on contract and 10ish crews, 22 employees and only 1 location. around 3 years from now maybe?

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
we should be at 1m a year profit with about 900 customers on contract and 10ish crews, 22 employees and only 1 location. around 3 years from now maybe?

Dam that's awesome, and in the grand scheme of things 900 customers is not alot considering there is millions of people out there waiting to give you money.

Antliv8

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Apr 20, 2020
New york
A big commute, low salary, and can't afford rent: really does sound like NY is unworkable and you're not really getting ahead.

I'd take some time off somewhere cheap, then let your energy and soul return, chill out, see and do some new things, and ponder your next move.

Electrician is a good trade to have under your belt, but there may be better options than plying it in the way you have been.
I agree brother..thanks for the reply

Antliv8

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Apr 20, 2020
New york
Sounds like you need a change of scenery. An electrician is a great skill to have and in great demand, a great "fall back". It also sounds like you hate NY -- I'd think about moving to better area that is more suited to how you want to live your life. Since you're single, why not?
I dont hate ny even though it sounds that way, been here my whole life..its more the commute with everything being expensive its tough even getting ahead. I save very well and also put money into the market and crypto but thats money that stays there and not in my hands.. know electrical work is definitely a great skill but the way im doing it in the union isnt the right way in my opinion.. i believe getting into real estate is more scaleable .. yes itll be tough and a lot of work but im doing tough work right now just in a different way

jaxxzilk

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 28, 2022
It's okay to want to change jobs. You should change careers without considering it if you don't enjoy it. My son worked as an electrician, but after a while, he decided that this profession was not suitable for him, so now he works as a locksmith. If we talk about working as a locksmith, it is a very promising and in-demand profession. I heard that the BLS projected a 5% job increase. I think you should consider that option. Since my son stopped working as an electrician, I stopped worrying about his health. After all, working as an electrician is not always safe, I think you know that.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.