The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Non-Technical Founders: Stop Learning How To Code

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012

YCW

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Oct 7, 2014
Hong Kong
I think the problem stems from the fact that, for a non-techy person, when you mention the word code, the first thing that flashes in their head is all the coding mumble jumble you see on Matrix.

"Code" can be in many shapes and forms and, for what 90% of startup entrepreneurs on this site require is just something basic like a Website, eCommerce etc

For that, you do not need to spend a lot of time learning how to "code". There are literally hundreds of online resources available teaching you the basics of HTML/CSS and, if you need something slightly more advanced (e.g eCommerce), then you can learn php/mySQL.

The basics are incredibly simple to learn, and you could have your own website/eCommerce site up and running within a few months; that's how easy it is. If 1 + 1 = 2, then you can learn to code. If not, then maybe the Fastlane is not your correct path.

As a Fastlane Entrepreneur, I will never rely on an outside source for something that I can directly control.

Never sell yourself short, no matter how high the obstacle.

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
I wrote a ridiculously bad post on this thread about a year ago. It's back a few pages. Here's one of the things that I said

But from a personal level, as a tech-founder, I just have to say that sometimes not knowing how to code makes me feel like I'm walking around without an arm or something. It gets frustrating when I need to get things done....

A lot of time has passed since I wrote that comment and it's still true. I actually took the time to learn the ins and outs of code..and here's the verdict:

...It's worth the time.

12 months ago I was literally handicapped with what I could personally do to my site. I always had to pay someone to do the work for me, and overtime, paying people gets expensive and sometimes just as time consuming.

Learning the ins and outs of code has made a huge difference in my life. For example, for the longest time I wanted to put a statistics feature onto the profiles of my users. To do this I would need to give the users the ability to dynamically update their stats on the profile, save the data in a database, then call the data back onto the front-end. 12 months ago, I would have thought that this is an overly complicated task. I would have spent 1 week creating a mockup and then I would have probably overpaid for the work. I created the feature in about 1 night, then I realized that I could enhance the visualization of the data with some jQuery..+1 more more night. It turns out that the task was actually very simple to complete.

Screen Shot 2014-10-09 at 10.20.00 AM.png

How I learned:
Most people seem to go straight to the education and tutorials. That's great and all. Udemy always provides a lot of great courses. I learned the basics by diving into the code myself and playing with the code until I figured it out. I rebuilt webpages about 100x over, restructured databases, rewrote php code, and made huge mistakes along the way. My advice is to have someone build a site for you and then learn on your own site with the help of some tutorials in your spare time.

And of course, I still believe that the key to everything is sales and traffic. But I'm not going to lie..one year later knowing way more about how to code has made a huge difference.

Also, consider your goals. I had no intention of ever learning. Sitting at a computer for hours is the last thing that I want to do. I learned out of necessity. Not because I wanted to, but because I needed to. It's easy to say "don't learn", but put yourself in a position where you need to do whatever you can to survive and you'll see that you're opinions about everything will change.

Last edited:

Writer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Aug 26, 2014
Texas. (Mars during summer)
I learned the basics by diving into the code myself and playing with the code until I figured it out. I rebuilt webpages about 100x over, restructured databases, rewrote php code, and made huge mistakes along the way. My advice is to have someone build a site for you and then learn on your own site with the help of some tutorials in your spare time.

It's called hacking, and it's the best way to learn. Good job!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

YCW

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Oct 7, 2014
Hong Kong
The good thing with the proliferation of the internet is that there are so many online resources, a lot of the "code" that you need you don't even need to write.

Copy & Paste is a coders best friend :)

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
The good thing with the proliferation of the internet is that there are so many online resources, a lot of the "code" that you need you don't even need to write.

Copy & Paste is a coders best friend :)

This. Exactly how I built most of my site's functionality :). Besides having the functionality that I need now I learned a lot and am much more competent in speaking with real programmers now to take my business to the next level.

stevethe bungee

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Oct 18, 2007
cyprus
I wrote a ridiculously bad post on this thread about a year ago. It's back a few pages. Here's one of the things that I said

A lot of time has passed since I wrote that comment and it's still true. I actually took the time to learn the ins and outs of code..and here's the verdict:

...It's worth the time.

12 months ago I was literally handicapped with what I could personally do to my site. I always had to pay someone to do the work for me, and overtime, paying people gets expensive and sometimes just as time consuming.

Learning the ins and outs of code has made a huge difference in my life. For example, for the longest time I wanted to put a statistics feature onto the profiles of my users. To do this I would need to give the users the ability to dynamically update their stats on the profile, save the data in a database, then call the data back onto the front-end. 12 months ago, I would have thought that this is an overly complicated task. I would have spent 1 week creating a mockup and then I would have probably overpaid for the work. I created the feature in about 1 night, then I realized that I could enhance the visualization of the data with some jQuery..+1 more more night. It turns out that the task was actually very simple to complete.

View attachment 8363

How I learned:
Most people seem to go straight to the education and tutorials. That's great and all. Udemy always provides a lot of great courses. I learned the basics by diving into the code myself and playing with the code until I figured it out. I rebuilt webpages about 100x over, restructured databases, rewrote php code, and made huge mistakes along the way. My advice is to have someone build a site for you and then learn on your own site with the help of some tutorials in your spare time.

And of course, I still believe that the key to everything is sales and traffic. But I'm not going to lie..one year later knowing way more about how to code has made a huge difference.

Also, consider your goals. I had no intention of ever learning. Sitting at a computer for hours is the last thing that I want to do. I learned out of necessity. Not because I wanted to, but because I needed to. It's easy to say "don't learn", but put yourself in a position where you need to do whatever you can to survive and you'll see that you're opinions about everything will change.

That makes sense to me

greenlotus

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 25, 2014
Nigeria
It can be daunting if you don't know zilch and you're operating on a shoe string budget. You could get screwed if you're the brain child of the start-up. Trust me, I've had this experience. Left out in the middle of a project by my tech partners. Had to source for money to get it completed by outsourcing. Now, what I do is outsource and have my tech team on timelines. IMO learn a little about the code you want to use in the tech start-up.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
I think it really depends on the person. Some people can learn something and become great at it. And some people just don't like relying on others. Some people just aren't interested in learning programming and that's cool.

But saying that it's ridiculous to learn how to code because someone else can do it for you is like saying it's ridiculous to learn a second language because you can always get someone to translate or you.

BlueMoon

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Jun 3, 2018
Earth
I think it depends on the industry you're in (or want to be in) but generally speaking; for most industries it will be vital to at the very least understand coding. Kids are learning this is school right now, it will be their 2nd language. And even if you had nothing to do with coding in your business, it might still be useful to at the very least be able to communicate, even if on a basic level, with coders you hired. Whether you want to specialize in it is a whole other story.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
I don't think it would hurt to learn to code. Should it? It can only help

Brewmacker

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 17, 2019
The Netherlands
Here, here! @MJ DeMarco. I know this post is primarily focused on learning to code and it is exactly it where I sit every evening slogging away with HTML & CSS after my 9-5 job. I will get to it :)

My concern for any potential new entrepreneurs (young and old) was somewhat triggered by some of the potentially damaging comments listed above, that could impact your life or business.
For example outsourcing all accountancy because you don't want to learn the math. What utter bullshit!

(FYI My background is Mechanical Engineering, 10 years experience Design & Product Management of high tech systems/products for use is chemical processing facilities where standards exceed that of semi-conductor industry)

This is just my 5 cents for those of you who want to skip the process and hire people to do everything for you without even at least learning the fundamentals of every part of your business. Of course there are always success stories out there (good on you) but there are also horror stories.

Whether its an online marketing company, manufacturing sex toys or selling kitty litter, YOU and you alone are gambling with your life and business.

So what happens dear people:
  • If your accountant F*cks up your books, who is accountable at the tax office?
  • If someone hacks your site due to bad programming and/or security protocols & steals all the private information from your customers, who is accountable?
  • If someone has already pissed in your kitty litter and you distribute it, who is accountable?
  • If you sell a sex toy without the required safety reviews and accreditation (CE marking, FDA TUV etc.) and it kills someone, who is accountable? (not sure if that is a good or bad way to go)
  • etc.
Who?? Not the people who did the work for you or with whom you contracted the work too! YOU or your business is accountable! Please go ahead and enjoy:
  • the fines,
  • the excessive rework costs (excluding all the times you have been ripped off up until that point)
  • the eventual folding of your business as you kiss your reputation goodbye;
  • Oh and of course very worst case, if your found personally liable, there is always the good old fashioned, "Go to F*cking jail, don't pass F*cking go, and don't collect your F*cking €2.5 billion" (due to negligence, tax evasion, manslaughter etc.)
If you have not got a fundamental grasp on what is needed in every aspect of your business you are at risk.

So as a start up, I will continue to build coding practice into my extensive learning program. Why? Because I will own my shit! Because I am not scared of a challenge the size of a mountain! Because when the time comes to pull the trigger, my competitors (already with billions in their banks) will have a hard time keeping up rather than simply copying and taking the idea from me.

I am in no way saying that I aim to be or will be a coding expert in the end, and I fully expect by next year (or most likely by Christmas), that the detailed level of coding knowledge that I have practiced will be gone and lost forever.

What is Most Critical and Most Importantly though, the principles of coding will never be forgotten, the big picture view (roll-on Steve Jobs) can always be applied to hiring, firing, concept generation and understanding and challenging other peoples work.

We are (or at least I am) not here to get rich quick (& dirty), we are here to:
  1. Get rich fast, with the best odds for success, profitability, growth, security & sustainability.
  2. Which stems from applying integrity, efficiency (in all phases & fields) & flexibility to a value-giving-product in a dynamic market,
  3. Which in turn stems from "knowing one's shit"!
  4. Which in turn stems from investing yourself now (aka: doing the F*cking work) (aka: Process)
Of course, pick your battles. I will learn the financial aspects when my product is ready to make money, I will learn the legal aspects when the product is tested and ready for manufacture/release, and I will learn marketing when I have my product on the market. (actually that is how I fill my breaks :p)

For now, because the platform of by business is web/app based, the focus is on learning that. Thus minimizing MY Risk, financial input and time to launch. I will be investing purely from my work income and therefore when I eventually hire someone to develop the website&app it will be done effectively and precisely based on the detailed and clear specification I give to a programmer.

If you don't want to do your mathematics, your coding, your market research, your product analytics etc.
That is fine it is your choice.
I cannot see a lower risk path for how to give value and sustain that value for as many people on this planet as possible, only to have it take away/removed or to loose my grip on the market share.

Additionally if it all goes tits up, the process is established and the next product will be on the market in a fraction of the time.

Some light reading to underpin the risks for non-technical start-ups, or for non-technical leadership:

Rant over.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Here, here! @MJ DeMarco. I know this post is primarily focused on learning to code and it is exactly it where I sit every evening slogging away with HTML & CSS after my 9-5 job. I will get to it :)

My concern for any potential new entrepreneurs (young and old) was somewhat triggered by some of the potentially damaging comments listed above, that could impact your life or business.
For example outsourcing all accountancy because you don't want to learn the math. What utter bullshit!

(FYI My background is Mechanical Engineering, 10 years experience Design & Product Management of high tech systems/products for use is chemical processing facilities where standards exceed that of semi-conductor industry)

This is just my 5 cents for those of you who want to skip the process and hire people to do everything for you without even at least learning the fundamentals of every part of your business. Of course there are always success stories out there (good on you) but there are also horror stories.

Whether its an online marketing company, manufacturing sex toys or selling kitty litter, YOU and you alone are gambling with your life and business.

• If someone hacks your site due to bad programming and/or security protocols & steals all the private information from your customers, who is accountable?
  • If someone has already pissed in your kitty litter and you distribute it, who is accountable?
  • If you sell a sex toy without the required safety reviews and accreditation (CE marking, FDA TUV etc.) and it kills someone, who is accountable? (not sure if that is a good or bad way to go)
  • etc.
Who?? Not the people who did the work for you or with whom you contracted the work too! YOU or your business is accountable! Please go ahead and enjoy:
  • the fines,
  • the excessive rework costs (excluding all the times you have been ripped off up until that point)
  • Oh and of course very worst case, if your found personally liable, there is always the good old fashioned, "Go to F*cking jail, don't pass F*cking go, and don't collect your F*cking €2.5 billion" (due to negligence, tax evasion, manslaughter etc.)
If you have not got a fundamental grasp on what is needed in every aspect of your business you are at risk.

So as a start up, I will continue to build coding practice into my extensive learning program. Why? Because I will own my shit! Because I am not scared of a challenge the size of a mountain! Because when the time comes to pull the trigger, my competitors (already with billions in their banks) will have a hard time keeping up rather than simply copying and taking the idea from me.

I am in no way saying that I aim to be or will be a coding expert in the end, and I fully expect by next year (or most likely by Christmas), that the detailed level of coding knowledge that I have practiced will be gone and lost forever.

What is Most Critical and Most Importantly though, the principles of coding will never be forgotten, the big picture view (roll-on Steve Jobs) can always be applied to hiring, firing, concept generation and understanding and challenging other peoples work.

1. Get rich fast, with the best odds for success, profitability, growth, security & sustainability.
  2. Which stems from applying integrity, efficiency (in all phases & fields) & flexibility to a value-giving-product in a dynamic market,
  4. Which in turn stems from investing yourself now (aka: doing the F*cking work) (aka: Process)
Of course, pick your battles. I will learn the financial aspects when my product is ready to make money, I will learn the legal aspects when the product is tested and ready for manufacture/release, and I will learn marketing when I have my product on the market. (actually that is how I fill my breaks :p)

For now, because the platform of by business is web/app based, the focus is on learning that. Thus minimizing MY Risk, financial input and time to launch. I will be investing purely from my work income and therefore when I eventually hire someone to develop the website&app it will be done effectively and precisely based on the detailed and clear specification I give to a programmer.

If you don't want to do your mathematics, your coding, your market research, your product analytics etc.
I cannot see a lower risk path for how to give value and sustain that value for as many people on this planet as possible, only to have it take away/removed or to loose my grip on the market share.

Additionally if it all goes tits up, the process is established and the next product will be on the market in a fraction of the time.

Some light reading to underpin the risks for non-technical start-ups, or for non-technical leadership:

Rant over.

Great take my friend, pretty much reflects my way of things as well. I don't want to be an expert in everything, but it is nice to have rudimentary knowledge on many things so when it comes time to hire someone, you're not completely in the dark and at their mercy.

This is why people get screwed at auto repair shops ... they no nothing to counteract a bull-shitter.

oku

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Aug 20, 2019
I could be wrong but I picked up a lot of valuable resources along my journey.

ATST (At the same time), I'm technically inclined, and dreamed of being a techpreneur throughout HS and majored Software Dev in Uni.

I taught HTML5 & CSS3 In a west African code camp, where I found small business owners (mostly baby boomers) looking to cut corners by building sites themselves.
I found it wouldn't be worth the time to help them up and around the learning curve.

(Like if You Can Code)

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
Rant over

Great post! I agree that it’s very difficult to hire for something you don’t know anything about.

One alternative to learning to code yourself would be to partner with a technical cofounder. But then, how do you vet a technical cofounder when you don’t know anything about coding?

I’m having this dilemma now with product engineering. I know next to nothing about engineering but I’m having to work with engineers and contract it out. I’ve been riding the struggle bus lately. Trying to learn as much as I can about the process so that I can make a good hire when the time comes to bring someone in full time.

Last edited:

Brewmacker

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 17, 2019
The Netherlands
Great post! I agree that it’s very difficult to hire for something you don’t know anything about.

One alternative to learning to code yourself would be to partner with a technical cofounder. But then, hoe do vet a technical cofounder when you don’t know anything about coding?

I’m having this dilemma now with product engineering. I know next to nothing about engineering but I’m having to work with engineers and contract it out. I’ve been riding the struggle bus lately. Trying to learn as much as I can about the process so that I can make a good hire when the time comes to bring someone in full time.

Product Engineering is my day to day business amp. If you have any questions just PM me and ill do my best to help you out.

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 11, 2018
Don't learn how to code. Then, trash your million dollars ideas because you go ask for a prototype and you get a 10-100k quote, which you are not willing to/can't pay.

Also, don't know the basics, and become one of those unicorn entrepreneurs that want to make Facebook in 2 months with a graduate and his nephew.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria

• etc.
  • the fines,

Rant over.

I give you a YES! I call that the wish for perfection.
But: often in my life that wish for perfection prevented my to get in action.

In the 1980s I learned sth like BASiC than while studying Pascal.
As I never found someone that could serve my interest for the steps from 1/0 to Pascal or so, I lost the interest in coding. I had no need for it though, also I had my best grades there.

Its the same as with domestic heating: allways quits on Christmas! Thats why I can serve my heating units.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Well,
And it continues STILL, 7 YEARS LATER.

Imagine if the people debating this topic had gotten to work instead of debating about one or the other, and instead just chose a path and stuck with it?
do you think, that are the same people?
Or do you thonk, nowadays problems of people are really different?

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 11, 2018
Coding is no longer requires, neither are copy writers, or "tech guys". Everything has been so simplified. You no longer need to hire someone to provide leads for you. All of the issues we once had have been solved. :D
Could you elaborate a bit more?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.