The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Non dot com names, brand suicide?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Connor

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Jan 2, 2012
South Carolina
@MJ DeMarco

Is it worth it, in your estimation, to go for the godaddy bait of also buying the .net, .co .us etc. when you buy the .com?
Thanks for asking this- I was literally just wondering the same this morning. That's why I love this forum!

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
Totally agree MJ, if you are building a brand, a .com is a total must have. If you are just running paid traffic or sales funnels or doing SEO testing or ANY OTHER type of advertising/market testing, the other extensions will do fine. But the brand MUST be a .com, period.

WalterBellhaven

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jan 12, 2012
Southern California
I'm a bit late to the party, but to echo MJ's post and the general sentiment of the thread, definitely get a .com unless you are some sort of networking business. And even then, get the .com too. Especially if a band has your .com, as they are not going to want to sell it at any price. I'd recommend coming up with a new name, or adding a modifier that makes sense (e.g. if you want foo.com, try fooapp.com, getfoo.com, etc.) A good site for coming up with an altered name is www.leandomainsearch.com - type in your base word, and it will check for available .com domains with the most popular 2000 or so prefixes and suffixes.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.