The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

No more lurking for me... Today I had an epiphany

Steve Wylde

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Oct 17, 2012
Hello everyone. I have just finished reading TMF and have been lurking around this forum for weeks. I have found invaluable information and inspiration from both this web site and TMF . I had something of an epiphany today, or at least I think I did, and figured it was time to chime in and get active.

I'm from Arkansas and my interests include spending time with my 6 year old son, making and recording original music, singing and playing guitar, traveling, classic muscle cars, quality beer and whisky, constantly learning and growing as a person, building things, art and architecture, contributing in a helpful way to others, nature, alternative building techniques and self sufficient living. I lived in Dallas for 4 years and Los Angeles for a year but after my son was on the way I moved back to Arkansas so we could be near family.

I've been dreaming of building a massively successful business for years. I read all the Rich Dad Poor Dad stuff, and had a couple businesses that were typical slowlane J-O-Bs . I have never challenged myself to really go after this dream due to pursuing my music career and I guess just general analysis paralysis. TMF, and all the great input from all of you here on the forum, have stoked a fire under my a$$ like never before and I am determined to make my dreams a reality.

I've been attempting to develop my thought process into seeing the abundance of opportunity all around us and putting much thought into how to proceed. I have been moving down the road to ecommerce and think I have found a niche, though I need to do more market research ( still learning how to do that ), but today I had what I think to be something of an epiphany. ( I actually had a product idea while at the store also but that's for later )

I was thinking about some of the things I wanted to do and long term goals, and ultimately what it is that makes me happy and what I would want to do when I achieve success. Walking through Wally World I was thinking that I'd like to be able to help out my siblings somehow with my business and then it hit me. I actually got goosebumps when it popped in my mind. My sister and brother-in-law have a successful business that has been in business for 20 years. It was started by my in-laws parents. He has been involved with the business since he was a kid. His parents both passed away a couple years back and he and my sister now run the business. This particular business involves a product and a service at both the business and consumer level. The business is in a small town but they do make a decent living. It's also a business that is already everywhere and will never go away.

My idea is simple on paper but obviously entails a lot of work. I'd like to partner with them, apply my growing knowledge, time, and dedication, take their existing business model and scale it nationwide, starting with the major cities regionally. Both corporate owned stores and franchises. We'll market the business better than the competition, provide great service and value, build until we're everywhere, or until we're noticed by the competition and bought out.

I mentioned to my sister today that I have an idea I think could make us millions and change the course of our families forever. My brother-in-law (we get along very well), my sister and I will get together and discuss this soon.

Any input is greatly appreciated and I hope to add my story to this forum's growing list of successful fastlaners.

Cheers!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
Nice introduction! It's good to have you here... I hope that you find what you are looking for :)

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Congrats and welcome.

Does your idea make millions or at least hundreds of thousands of people's lives better?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
My sister and brother-in-law have a successful business that has been in business for 20 years. It was started by my in-laws parents. He has been involved with the business since he was a kid. His parents both passed away a couple years back and he and my sister now run the business.

My idea is simple on paper but obviously entails a lot of work. I'd like to partner with them, apply my growing knowledge, time, and dedication, take their existing business model and scale it nationwide, starting with the major cities regionally.

Just make sure you bring something to the table other than "an idea". Hard work, loyalty, dedication, sales, etc... This business (your sister and brother-in-laws') has been around for 20 years so they definitely are doing something right -- for you to want to come in an upset the apple-cart might not be perceived well.

Welcome to the forums.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
What part of Arkansas are you from? If you are near Bentonville.. and want to fan your inspiration into flames, do these two things :

1. Just a few blocks from the Wal-Mart corporate office, there is a small cemetery where Sam Walton is buried. Go there, alone. See the final resting place of one of the world's greatest entrepreneurs. Spend a few minutes there thinking about what the guy built, how he lived, and what he meant in the lives of literally hundreds of millions of people.

2. Then... leave there and head for downtown Bentonville. Visit the site of the original Walton 5 and Dime, now a museum. Spend an hour getting absorbed in the story of how one guy from Arkansas... like you... had a vision of how to take one store... like you... and turn it into a nationally scaled retail concept.

The business model is laid out before you.

Steve Wylde

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Oct 17, 2012
Thanks for the welcome guys. :tiphat:

Congrats and welcome.

Does your idea make millions or at least hundreds of thousands of people's lives better?

Yes it does, people would not want to live without it. It's everywhere. I guess you can say that there's more service than product involved in the business.

Just make sure you bring something to the table other than "an idea". Hard work, loyalty, dedication, sales, etc... This business (your sister and brother-in-laws') has been around for 20 years so they definitely are doing something right -- for you to want to come in an upset the apple-cart might not be perceived well.

Welcome to the forums.

I certainly do intend to bring all that to the table MJ... everything that I have to offer. I will work my a$$ off and put all of my energy behind it. I also share your concerns, I certainly don't want to impose myself or upset anything. I wouldn't want anything to do with their existing business, I'd like to form a separate entity and go from there while it's business as usual for them. I'll just share the idea with them and go from there if they're comfortable.

MJ, I actually found out about your book from reading about the "bank statement guy." I found these forums, read reviews about TMF and ordered it that day. Your book is my favorite one on the subject. Great stuff. Many thanks for what you are doing to help those who to escape the drudgery and mundaneness of the normal life.

Lot's of research to do from here....

Steve Wylde

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Oct 17, 2012
What part of Arkansas are you from? If you are near Bentonville.. and want to fan your inspiration into flames, do these two things :

1. Just a few blocks from the Wal-Mart corporate office, there is a small cemetery where Sam Walton is buried. Go there, alone. See the final resting place of one of the world's greatest entrepreneurs. Spend a few minutes there thinking about what the guy built, how he lived, and what he meant in the lives of literally hundreds of millions of people.

2. Then... leave there and head for downtown Bentonville. Visit the site of the original Walton 5 and Dime, now a museum. Spend an hour getting absorbed in the story of how one guy from Arkansas... like you... had a vision of how to take one store... like you... and turn it into a nationally scaled retail concept.

The business model is laid out before you.

Wow....Thanks for that Vigilante. I've thought about Sam and his story often. I'm in a small town between Bentonville and Little Rock, about an hour and a half from Bentonville. I'm absolutely going to take your advice. Have you been there? Thanks again.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Yep. Here are the addresses :

The Bentonville Cemetery is located on SW "F" Street, between SW 4th St. & SW 2nd St.

The story of Walmart comes alive at the Walmart Visitor Center, housed in the original Walton’s 5&10 on the Bentonville Square.
105 N. Main Street
Bentonville, AR
(479) 273-1329

Steve Wylde

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Oct 17, 2012
Well after some more soul searching I decided since I am still somewhat inexperienced that I shouldn't get family involved in any of my schemes just yet. Though I still believe my plan was a good idea I seriously doubt they would have the time to deal with it. I need to get some experience on my own so I am continuing on my original path I had elected before reading TMF ... Ecommerce.

I have formed an LLC, got an EIN for suppliers, set up web hosting with opencart, started reading about DIY SEO, and I am about to settle on a niche. I realize that even if it doesn't end up being the big fastlane ticket I'm looking for, I will still learn a lot and I will still keep pushing forward until I reach my goals.

I am about to start contacting suppliers in the niches I have been researching and see what I'm getting into there. I'm starting out with little cash so I will have to go with dropshipping. It's also time to research payment processing providers and get that set up. Also need to obtain an SSL.

I believe I have found some decent niches so after talking to some suppliers I'm going to take action, pick one of the niches, get a store up and learn more as I go. I'm tired of languishing on the side of the road.

I do still intend to visit the 5 and dime museum though!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...