The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

No direction

TJPB

Defy Ordinary
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 9, 2012
Colorado
Some more info about me. I really enjoy my job, after all I spent 5 years of uni getting it and I am only in my first year out. I feel it provides real value to the community. I already have a nice car (BMW), about to purchase a property with a plan to develop it in a years time.

I received my 15 year anniversary pin and lunch with the boss yesterday. I suggest you wait 15 years then look back and wonder "what could have been?".

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vas87

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jul 4, 2012
Australia
I received my 15 year anniversary pin and lunch with the boss yesterday. I suggest you wait 15 years then look back and wonder "what could have been?".

Well it only took me almost 3 years to wake up more or less completely to the fastlane teachings. Certainly wish it was earlier

Last edited:

Lakeview

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 5, 2013
Texas
@Vas87 - be honest with yourself, answer these questions:

1. If you found out you won the lottery, what 3 changes would you make in your life?
  2. What one thing would you dare to dream, if you knew you absolutely could not fail?
(referring to #1., there are no limitations to keep you from reaching these answers.)
(referring to #2., if you found the answer to this question, it means you can have it.)

With any goal, if you REALLY want it, are you willing to make the sacrifices to get it?

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
This is interesting.
I had wondered why this post was up and about.

Well... welcome to the world of taking action.
May your conscience be your guide.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Strong thread reactivation. @Vas87 great to see you wake up and back. Usually these types of posts are ONE and DONE.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
To the OP.

Give up now.. seriously.

I can't believe this sh*t.

Don't you have a company to run? You should get back to doing that instead of tearing people down for no reason.

I understand we all get frustrated at the beginner mentality but get a freaking grip and be a little constructive.

OP, MJ hit the nail on the head. While more knowledge helps the real reason you're not taking action is because in your mind you're linkining up more pain to taking action than pleasure. Or as you said your "comfort zone".

Stepping out into the entrepreneurial world provides more uncertainty than many people can ever handle.

If this is something you want to do you will have to find some real reasons. It's not that your lazy it's that your goals are lazy. Ambition comes from being ambitious. Two things you need:

1. A big goal
2. A REAL reason to achieve it.

Some of us had no choice. We HAD to succeed or we starved. Our families starved. You find a lot of motivation at that point.

You don't have to put yourself in that situation to start acting but you do need to find some reasons why yoy MUST do this instead of just SHOULD.

if it's just a should, then all these guys are right. You don't stand a chance. But I think you can come up with some pretty good reasons once you realize you'll be at that desk for the next 50 years of your life unless you do something about it.

Unknown

Fastlane-ish
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 31, 2014
I can't believe this sh*t.

Don't you have a company to run? You should get back to doing that instead of tearing people down for no reason.

Normally I'd agree with you, but I'm pretty sure the reason he posted that was to piss the OP off to the point where he'd either quit or put his whole heart into it. I could be wrong though. He could just be a d*ckhead :p

SirGeorge

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Feb 18, 2014
You've answered your own question right here.

You're comfortable.

You're not motivated to change, to seek Porsche's and "traveling the world" because your desire for COMFORT outweighs your need to avoid DISCOMFORT - the perceived risk in creating habits and actions that might make "Porsches and traveling the world" not a dream, but a reality.

You've chosen guaranteed mediocrity over the unknown, and for many, that's cool. It isn't for me, or anyone else here, to say that the life you've chosen is GOOD ENOUGH. For many of us, it isn't -- which is why we're here.

And please "taking action" is another guru clap-trap -- taking action isn't going to do jack unless its apart of a coordinated plan of attack focused toward a specified goal.

Reading a book is "taking action".

Making a post on a entrepreneur forum is "taking action".

Buying a Ferrari poster and putting it on your wall is "taking action".

Unfortunately, none of this stuff ever amounts to nothing, and falls into the box of "action fakes" -- they're worthless attempts at assuaging your heart into believing you've tried, you've done something, and you've not given up.

Real change, comes from real action done daily, hourly, and by the minute. It literally consumes you.

Comfort?

Comfort will destroy your appetite for a Fastlane like an all-you-can-eat buffet.

You're comfortable and with comfort, comes complacency.... yup, the Fastlane food court is closed.

Just got re-directed from the Facebook page and out of everything I've read from MJ this speaks to me on so many levels.

Vas87

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jul 4, 2012
Australia
Thank you for the positive responses. I'd like to add another lightbulb moment was not to try and multitask. Previously I’d be trying to look at investment properties, at the same time browsing forums, and then have Facebook open on another screen. At the end of the day it would seem like I did a lot of work but in reality I was just going around in circles.

omar

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Jul 16, 2013
@Vas87, one question:

What would happen if you got fired from your job tomorrow?

So I've worked 9-5 some more and finally realising I hate it. Not the work itself, but the lack of flexibility with time. I re-read TMF and started doing the 30 day copywriting challenge and am about half way through it. That stuff is mind opening!

I have now emailed a bunch of optometrists and those in the optical industry to find out about their pain points. The initial responses look promising. Oh and I am cutting down to 3 days a week working 9-5 to focus more on the fastlane.

Michael Raphael

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jul 22, 2013
New York & Florida
I may not be in the exact same position I was in 6 months ago, I have made a lot of growth, but not enough to where I would like to be. Can someone give me books to read?

Also taking action Vas is difficult, no body cares about you as much as you do, and if you genuinely don't even care you will never change. rather than asking myself or anyone on this forum, ask yourself the following:

"Do I really want to put in work for my dreams or would I rather just settle?"

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thank you for the positive responses. I'd like to add another lightbulb moment was not to try and multitask. Previously I’d be trying to look at investment properties, at the same time browsing forums, and then have Facebook open on another screen. At the end of the day it would seem like I did a lot of work but in reality I was just going around in circles.

Well? It's been 4 days. What's the plan? What will be different this time? Or are you going to disappear for another year and come back and reflect on another year wasted. Time does not wait for anyone.

Aidan

Next Year, you will wish you had started Today.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 13, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Some more info about me. I really enjoy my job, after all I spent 5 years of uni getting it and I am only in my first year out. I feel it provides real value to the community. I already have a nice car (BMW), about to purchase a property with a plan to develop it in a years time.

This comfort is great, a lot better than being a poor student living interstate, selling stuff on ebay/gumtree (Aussie version of craigslist) to make ends meet. When I had my balls to the wall so to speak, I actually made more money selling things via those 2 mediums than my classmates who worked part time.

So, congratulations to all of you that made it, but I still think you need balls to the wall to actually do something outside the comfort zone. As a result, I am actually thinking of cutting back the hours at my job at the end of the year and force myself to try to build a business.

Buy a House? Or Finance a House?

Own that Car? Or Finance that Car?

If you do not actually 100% OWN all the items you currently posses, then keep in mind that you are creating an illusion of a lifestyle you can not actually afford. Otherwise, if you could actually afford them, you would have bought them outright.

Remember that with a "Job" you will never have 'wealth,' for wealth is defined by time; something people with Jobs do not have. Job security? You're not in control of that. Payscale? You're not in control of that. Vacation time? You're not in control over that because someone else has to approve it (and when you do take a vacation, it's a short, measly, and unextravagant vacation).

Think about it this way. Were you put on this planet, to work 5 days a week, and have someone else control valuable aspects of your life for 40-50 years? Is that your destiny? When you lay on your death bed, and look back at what could have been, what will you regret not doing?

Don't try to build a business. BUILD a business! DO IT. Everyday you waste settling for being 'comfortable' is another day wasted.

Ask yourself, "How much do I value myself?"

Harry321

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
May 28, 2014
Buy a House? Or Finance a House?
Own that Car? Or Finance that Car?
If you do not actually 100% OWN all the items you currently posses, then keep in mind that you are creating an illusion of a lifestyle you can not actually afford. Otherwise, if you could actually afford them, you would have bought them outright.
Remember that with a "Job" you will never have 'wealth,' for wealth is defined by time; something people with Jobs do not have. Job security? You're not in control of that. Payscale? You're not in control of that. Vacation time? You're not in control over that because someone else has to approve it (and when you do take a vacation, it's a short, measly, and unextravagant vacation).
Think about it this way. Were you put on this planet, to work 5 days a week, and have someone else control valuable aspects of your life for 40-50 years? Is that your destiny? When you lay on your death bed, and look back at what could have been, what will you regret not doing?
Don't try to build a business. BUILD a business! DO IT. Everyday you waste settling for being 'comfortable' is another day wasted.
Ask yourself, "How much do I value myself?"

Awesome motivation here. Vas I have been in the same situation as yourself, and although I am only just making steps to enjoy fastlane success, I think one of the biggest motivators that helped me shake unproductive thought patterns was to take a measurable look at where I would need to be to live the lifestyle I needed. Once you know in your mind that once you have a certain figure in the bank, whatever it may be, you WILL be able to live exactly the lifestyle you would like, you can take a step back and think am I really going to achieve this working for someone else?

For me personally, I have the goal of £1million by 30. That's 9 years. Now each day, instead of waking up and pondering on the journey to become successful, I know that each day I waste is another day that is NOT spent working towards my goal.

Now of course, I am not waking up each day chasing a dollar, I am looking to create value that affects customers on a large enough scale that I can achieve that £1m.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.