The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

No direction

Vas87

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jul 4, 2012
Australia
Hi all, so I read the book, got really excited, then read some more books, got even more excited, and I am still where I was 6 months ago. Still in a 9-5 job, no Porsche and certainly not travelling the world like I want to.

So it got me thinking, why don't I just take action and do something, and I feel it is because I am stuck in my comfort zone. My job pays pretty well and I enjoy it, but it takes up most of my time.

My question is this: Do you need to be unsuccessful to be successful? Do you need that kick in the guts to kick start some action?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

1PercentStreet

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 16, 2012
Vegas
No and No.

Stop being lazy and just do it. Get more active on this forum, provide value and receive value. Read everything you can.
There is a high chance you'll never be successful. There is 100% chance you'll be successful if you're as determined as myself, MJ, Jack, PatrickP, Bio, and several other entrepreneurs are.

Perseverance and Determination

Only directions you will receive are the way your two feet walk.

Vas87

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jul 4, 2012
Australia
I don't buy it. Even MJ's story, he was sitting in a limo hating life, which then caused him to have action.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I don't buy it. Even MJ's story, he was sitting in a limo hating life, which then caused him to have action.

Well thats the wrong mindset, its the mindset of a loser. If you "don't buy it" we can't help you.

Speed++ to 1percentstreet for a good post!

1PercentStreet

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 16, 2012
Vegas
I don't give a **** what you buy except for my products. Seriously, I would be more expletive but I respect others on this forum.
What works for him will not work for you. Change your mindset or your thoughts about becoming successful.

By the way, I wouldn't normally reply to someone with only 3 posts but I'm here to help and give back to people. So, if somehow you take this seriously and cut the bs that "this or that" needs to happen to me then it's worth it.

Lights

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Apr 13, 2011
On the Internet
MJ did say the book is like a munchkin directing to go on the yellow brick road.

Only you can direct your life into the fastlane, and no one can do that for you. You have to ask yourself, 'if I do the same thing that I did yesterday where will I be 5 yrs from now'

If you must hate your life, then make your life miserable to make action.
lol

Who said this is easy? This isn't easy. Nothing about making a million dollar in a short time should be easy. That means everyone could do it.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Jun 29, 2011
Hi all, so I read the book, got really excited, then read some more books, got even more excited, and I am still where I was 6 months ago. Still in a 9-5 job, no Porsche and certainly not travelling the world like I want to.

I find that hard to believe. Everybody who has ever a few read books and got excited is rich. Certainly everybody here has a Porsche.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
You haven't read enough, you haven't thought enough, you haven't committed enough.

That's all it boils down to. You haven't found a need, you haven't found a solution to that need, and you haven't created a plan on how you are going to get your customers.

But that's okay. It's probably better that way because you're not quite ready to start a business. You're not committed to taking precise and direct action toward a specified purpose. At this point, you're only interested in doing so.

Keep reading, keep your eyes out for needs, and keep thinking up solutions in your head until you find one that is worthwhile to pursue. Don't take worthless action.

To give you some background, I read RDPD 5 years ago and TMF about 16 months ago. I started my business 8 months ago. I was in your stage for eight months, so don't feel bad. Take in as much info as you can. That's what the forum is for.

And don't expect to be successful in six months: every overnight success has a backstory. snowbank's company, BlueFirePoker, did $100k its first week, but took nine months to set up and launch. Nine months of nothing but hard work and no pay. At the very least, it's something to take into consideration.

Vas87

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jul 4, 2012
Australia
First of all, thanks to everyone that replied. You sure are a feisty lot!

Looks like I need to rethink my priorities, perhaps even re-read TMF book.

Mike.B

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Oct 27, 2011
Ohio

So it got me thinking, why don't I just take action and do something, and I feel it is because I am stuck in my comfort zone. My job pays pretty well and I enjoy it, but it takes up most of my time.

My question is this: Do you need to be unsuccessful to be successful? Do you need that kick in the guts to kick start some action?

I believe you have to want it more than anything else. I'm basically in the same financial situation I was a year ago and still working a job, but I absolutely hate it. This has moved me to start four businesses in the last year. None have been very successful yet, but I keep trying. The fact that I want to be financially independent and want to be in control of my life keeps me extremely motivated. If you are comfortable in your current situation and there is no drive to change, It'll never change.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok

Define successful? You say your job pays pretty well but you can't afford a Porsche or to travel the world. Not only can you not afford these two luxuries that some 9-5'ers can you also spend the majority of your time at work. You're poor in cash and you're poor in time. Where is the success? If you are not successful then you are unsuccessful. Am I missing something here? You are not successful.

You like comfort. You're not hungry for "it" whatever your "it" may be.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
There is 100% chance you'll be successful if you're as determined as myself, MJ, Jack, PatrickP, Bio, and several other entrepreneurs are.

Of course, it depends on your definition of success. I disagree that there is a 100% chance of success though. I do believe you can arrange life to have 100% chance at failure and if you achieve failure then you reached that goal successfully. I don't see many instances where 100% chance of success is guaranteed.

You are going to work a certain number of hours in your days and lifetime. You have to decide for yourself if your daily work and effort is toward the direction in life you want to go. If it's not then you are the only one that can change that.

Reading will help but can lead to inaction. Plotting a course and actually working toward it day by day without an immediate payoff would seem to be the challenge to overcome.

I wish you well.

santa

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Jul 15, 2011
UK
There's stuff I don't agree with in this video,but there's a few things in there you may find useful

[video=youtube;qxS45dAsIIk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxS45dAsIIk[/video]

Bruce

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Feb 1, 2012
Canada
[video=youtube;Ws_MwJ-uNz4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws_MwJ-uNz4[/video]
This video is great if you can't go out there and just do it after watching this. I suggest you watch it again and again!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I am stuck in my comfort zone.

You've answered your own question right here.

You're comfortable.

You're not motivated to change, to seek Porsche's and "traveling the world" because your desire for COMFORT outweighs your need to avoid DISCOMFORT - the perceived risk in creating habits and actions that might make "Porsches and traveling the world" not a dream, but a reality.

You've chosen guaranteed mediocrity over the unknown, and for many, that's cool. It isn't for me, or anyone else here, to say that the life you've chosen is GOOD ENOUGH. For many of us, it isn't -- which is why we're here.

And please "taking action" is another guru clap-trap -- taking action isn't going to do jack unless its apart of a coordinated plan of attack focused toward a specified goal.

Reading a book is "taking action".

Making a post on a entrepreneur forum is "taking action".

Buying a Ferrari poster and putting it on your wall is "taking action".

Unfortunately, none of this stuff ever amounts to nothing, and falls into the box of "action fakes" -- they're worthless attempts at assuaging your heart into believing you've tried, you've done something, and you've not given up.

Real change, comes from real action done daily, hourly, and by the minute. It literally consumes you.

Comfort?

Comfort will destroy your appetite for a Fastlane like an all-you-can-eat buffet.

You're comfortable and with comfort, comes complacency.... yup, the Fastlane food court is closed.

Last edited:

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Great post MJ! Speed+

Now get off here and enjoy your birthday :hammertime:

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
So how can the OP get the motivation?

Typically, motivation comes from 'hates' and 'loves', strong emotions. Passive people don't get rich, nor do they do anything noteworthy. They become this:

[video=youtube;5PsnxDQvQpw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PsnxDQvQpw[/video]

1PercentStreet

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 16, 2012
Vegas
Of course, it depends on your definition of success. I disagree that there is a 100% chance of success though. I do believe you can arrange life to have 100% chance at failure and if you achieve failure then you reached that goal successfully. I don't see many instances where 100% chance of success is guaranteed.

You are going to work a certain number of hours in your days and lifetime. You have to decide for yourself if your daily work and effort is toward the direction in life you want to go. If it's not then you are the only one that can change that.

Reading will help but can lead to inaction. Plotting a course and actually working toward it day by day without an immediate payoff would seem to be the challenge to overcome.

I wish you well.

For myself, there is no option of failing. I will not stop until I succeed.
Everyone's definition of success is different. The mind is extremely powerful though, if you set to it and never give up you'll become successful.
Doing the same thing over and over to expect a different result is insanity. So, if someone has the mindset and work ethic to become successful, they'll adapt and evolve. Maybe what they're doing today will not work but tomorrow it'll be different. Ask me 2 years ago if I thought I'd be where I am today and I would have said hell no.

There are very few people that are willing to make the sacrifices to become successful though. I know my entire family would never consider doing what I'm doing just because they are not willing to make sacrifices.

I am not disagreeing with you either, I believe that a strong majority of people here will never become successful(in their own terms) because they do not have the hunger. That hunger to do whatever you possibly can, no excuses.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
You need goals that you force yourself to boringly take. Then you need new goals once you've accomplished these. If you fail to accomplish something ask "How can I do it different" and "How can I try harder". If you don't know what your goals are, you just need to start at the next "level" from where you are. So instead of studio apartment > mansion, it is studio apartment > 1 Bedroom. junker > toyota, not a lambo.

Life is not an event. It is only like that in the movies, and when people want to sell you something.

hedgehog757

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Jan 24, 2012
New York
Stop reading books and start asking questions of people who HAVE made it...Do some research on what ideas you do have. Create something you think can fill a need!
If you are content and happy where you are, great!
if you are not, the only way to do something about it is, to get off your lazy contented a$$ and start!

Vas87

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jul 4, 2012
Australia
Some more info about me. I really enjoy my job, after all I spent 5 years of uni getting it and I am only in my first year out. I feel it provides real value to the community. I already have a nice car (BMW), about to purchase a property with a plan to develop it in a years time.

This comfort is great, a lot better than being a poor student living interstate, selling stuff on ebay/gumtree (Aussie version of craigslist) to make ends meet. When I had my balls to the wall so to speak, I actually made more money selling things via those 2 mediums than my classmates who worked part time.

So, congratulations to all of you that made it, but I still think you need balls to the wall to actually do something outside the comfort zone. As a result, I am actually thinking of cutting back the hours at my job at the end of the year and force myself to try to build a business.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
So, congratulations to all of you that made it, but I still think you need balls to the wall to actually do something outside the comfort zone. As a result, I am actually thinking of cutting back the hours at my job at the end of the year and force myself to try to build a business.

Bad idea.

If you really wanted it, you'd go work your 8 hours a day, spend 12 hours on your business then sleep the other 4.

People who like their jobs build wealth through investing. If you want to retire early, learn how to invest and keep your job. Becoming a Fastlane millionaire is obviously not on your priority list. You're simply not ready to start a business.

Lights

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Apr 13, 2011
On the Internet
Some more info about me. I really enjoy my job, after all I spent 5 years of uni getting it and I am only in my first year out. I feel it provides real value to the community. I already have a nice car (BMW), about to purchase a property with a plan to develop it in a years time.

This comfort is great, a lot better than being a poor student living interstate, selling stuff on ebay/gumtree (Aussie version of craigslist) to make ends meet. When I had my balls to the wall so to speak, I actually made more money selling things via those 2 mediums than my classmates who worked part time.

My hunch tells me you won't have anything not only 6 months, but 6 yrs from now, except a comfortable job. That's great though. I can't speak for the people on this forum, since my views are completely different at times, but you sound like you have nothing going on for you fastlane wise. If you want it badly enough, shut up, and reread the book. Then try to think of something .

It's cool you have no idea what to do, since Rome wasn't built in a day. But it's not cool to think that the "comfort" of your job is all that you need. You're on the wrong forum, hey you're happy, live your life. Maybe you don't even need to try?

You're so giving off such bad vibes that I don't even want to read your posts. You're a wasting my time responding, and others, if you're not even 100% sure you want to change your life. It's like you're advocating the slowlane.

Brander

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Jun 3, 2011
Australia, USA, Europe
My job pays pretty well and I enjoy it, but it takes up most of my time.

As jobs do. Why not do a late afternoon market test or two with the ideas you have or research the market needs in the markets you are interested in? You might find that a test produces test-sales and then I can guarantee you'll get a move on once you see you are leaving money on the table.

Dom117

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Sep 17, 2012
Brussels, Belgium
I like the quote by E.T; "When you want succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful."

How Bad Do You Want It? (Success) HD - YouTube

You have to be constantly analysing your environment for opportunities, constantly work towards creating more opportunities.
You have to do everything you can to make your ideas work, not jump in the couch after a 'long' day of work until bedtime and go over it again.
Unless you want to keep doing this for the rest of your life. Which is fine if you don't want to live on another level than the mediocre level.

If you're not hungry enough, make yourself hungry. Watch motivational videos, things you want.
What I do is, I take my bike and ride to the nearest luxury hotel and watch the guests enjoy a luxury life, have a look at their Porsche's Maserati's and Ferrari's.(Even choppers :eek:)
I find that there's to much noise in my house; people, computer, tv, radio, pets. They make me lose my focus and cloud my mind.
On my bike my mind gets clearer and I come up with ideas and come across successful people for motivation.

The less focus and work you put in your business, the less chance you have for succes.
I think this works with an exponential curve, so you HAVE TO give it your 100% for it to be a viable choice.

Excuse me for my bad english.

Dom

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Humans often do not change their behaviors until they HATE the situation they are in.

What makes a 600lbs guy FINALLY go on a diet and lose 400lbs when for 15 years he kept gaining and gaining and gaining? Maybe because he hits a low and hates his life?

What makes a guy who has worked for someone else his whole life, to do whatever it takes to start a business which replaces the income he receives from his job? Maybe because he has gotten to the point that he hates his job and all or most things associated with it?

To me if I had a job I liked and paid well I probably would not feel the desperation that comes with not having enough money and loathing the people and place you work at.

Vas87

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jul 4, 2012
Australia
So I've worked 9-5 some more and finally realising I hate it. Not the work itself, but the lack of flexibility with time. I re-read TMF and started doing the 30 day copywriting challenge and am about half way through it. That stuff is mind opening!

I have now emailed a bunch of optometrists and those in the optical industry to find out about their pain points. The initial responses look promising. Oh and I am cutting down to 3 days a week working 9-5 to focus more on the fastlane.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.