Here's a link to some interesting new research on setting and attaining goals. It's a pretty dense read, but here's the short version:
The researchers worked with 2 scenarios, dieting and sports performance.
Dieting
For the dieting experiment, they had one group set a goal of eating half of their usual amount of some "bad for you" food of their choice: pizza, ice cream, etc. They had the other group set the same goal, but to also come up with an "if-then" statement like "If I get a craving for X, I'll ignore it".
Sports Performance
For this experiment (tennis match), they split the participants into 3 groups:
Conclusions
In both experiments, they found that the participants that came up with an "if-then" plan ahead of time performed way better than those that didn't. And they didn't even track whether the participant actually followed through with their "if-then".
For the dieters, it was about a 50% improvement over the non "if-then" group. For the tennis players, it was even more dramatic. The control group scored an average of 15% worse than they did on previous matches. The affirmation group averaged 10% worse, and the "if-then" group came out almost 25% better.
Actionable Content
So what do we do with this? Well, maybe instead of psyching yourself up with "I will make 10 cold calls today", you go with "I will make 10 cold calls today. If I get nervous, I'll remind myself that my target and I are both just people. If I start rambling, I'll take a deep breath and remind myself of the key question I'm asking. If I get bored, I'll picture sitting in the new Lambo."
Remember, it doesn't matter if you actually end up doing the "then" portion of the "if-then". The key is just that you came up with the "if-then" statement in the first place.
The researchers worked with 2 scenarios, dieting and sports performance.
Dieting
For the dieting experiment, they had one group set a goal of eating half of their usual amount of some "bad for you" food of their choice: pizza, ice cream, etc. They had the other group set the same goal, but to also come up with an "if-then" statement like "If I get a craving for X, I'll ignore it".
Sports Performance
For this experiment (tennis match), they split the participants into 3 groups:
- A control group that didn't do anything special.
- A group that gave themselves a positive affirmation like "I will do my best, and play with concentration and effort."
- A group that came up with a few possible negative states that they might be in during the match, like "tired", "scared", "trouble concentrating", etc. For each of these, they thought of an appropriate if-then response: "If I notice that I'm feeling nervous, I'll tell myself to calm down, and tell myself that I'll win."
Conclusions
In both experiments, they found that the participants that came up with an "if-then" plan ahead of time performed way better than those that didn't. And they didn't even track whether the participant actually followed through with their "if-then".
For the dieters, it was about a 50% improvement over the non "if-then" group. For the tennis players, it was even more dramatic. The control group scored an average of 15% worse than they did on previous matches. The affirmation group averaged 10% worse, and the "if-then" group came out almost 25% better.
Actionable Content
So what do we do with this? Well, maybe instead of psyching yourself up with "I will make 10 cold calls today", you go with "I will make 10 cold calls today. If I get nervous, I'll remind myself that my target and I are both just people. If I start rambling, I'll take a deep breath and remind myself of the key question I'm asking. If I get bored, I'll picture sitting in the new Lambo."
Remember, it doesn't matter if you actually end up doing the "then" portion of the "if-then". The key is just that you came up with the "if-then" statement in the first place.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
