The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

New Guy Here

NewManRising

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Hello everyone,

I bought MJ's book a few weeks ago and I am just about finished. This book has been mind-blowing. Anyway, I have decided that The Fastlane is really the only way I could live. Just thinking of a job for the rest of my life is depressing. Anyway, a little background about me:

I am a 37 year old man, living in central California coast. I live alone, no kids, or GF/wife. I am less than 1 1/2 months away from getting a BS degree in biology. I have $10,000 in student loans. I read Ramsey's Total Money Makeover and some of it made sense. But I decided to buy a bunch of books on entrepreneurship. Most of my life I have been depressed, anxious, and really having no direction in life. I will spare all the details but I come from a rough past. Which is why I am where I am right now. But I am not a quitter. I just know there is something better for me. I have always been a reader and a person who values knowledge. I really have a lot to learn so joining this forum is a good step for me. I am also wrestling with the idea of creating a local Meetup group for entrepreneurs some time soon. I just really need to connect with the right people. Everyone I have ever known have been the wrong kind of people. Anyway, thanks for letting me share.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

smark

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Oct 25, 2017
Hello, and welcome to the forum!

I am also wrestling with the idea of creating a local Meetup group for entrepreneurs some time soon.
From your profile I can see that you're situated in Monterey. I'm in Long Beach, and would love to meet every once a while to discuss business ideas.

I am less than 1 1/2 months away from getting a BS degree in biology.
Just out of curiousity, what led you to pursue a BS degree in such a technical field in your 30s? My guess is, better career prospects? Do you currently work in the health-science/medical industry?

But I decided to buy a bunch of books on entrepreneurship .
I believe that exposing yourself to different ways of thinking is KEY in the beginning as we've been conditioned our whole lives to think/act a certain way, and it can be hard to radically change your mindset over a short-period (relative to your lifetime). I have also read my share of entrepreneurial books over the last few years, and though I have gained a lot of valuable insights from them, it's important not to get lost in all the information you're feeding to your brain and just read for the sake of reading.

What I would suggest, is to start reading more on places like this forum or even at Wall Street Playboys (wallstreetplayboys.com) while occasionally reading a book which actually offers value and knowledge to you, and not just a bunch of fluff. The list of books offered here by @MJ DeMarco himself, will certainly keep you busy and engage your brain in a positive way (My (Recommended) Bookshelf – Fastlane Entrepreneurs).

Also, a great (and even essential) exercise to practice regularly, would be to try and identify a NEED in the products/services you use/expose yourself to daily, and figure out if there is something which you can do to offer more value to consumers. This, will then hopefully lead you to your first business venture. Good luck!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
living in central California coast

Beautiful.

For entrepreneurship, it's kind of a double-edged sword: Lot of people with money out there so entrepreneurs can make a killing.

On the flip side, the government knows it and will tax you to death.

I read Ramsey's Total Money Makeover and some of it made sense.

I haven't read the book but I heard it is decent tool for beginning a money system, even for an aspiring Fastlaner.

I live alone, no kids, or GF/wife.

A lot of people use wife and kids as an excuse. That means you have none!

Welcome to the forum as I hope you stick around and leverage it for your journey.

NewManRising

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Hello, and welcome to the forum!

From your profile I can see that you're situated in Monterey. I'm in Long Beach, and would love to meet every once a while to discuss business ideas.

Just out of curiousity, what led you to pursue a BS degree in such a technical field in your 30s? My guess is, better career prospects? Do you currently work in the health-science/medical industry?

Cool, I actually visit the LA area a few times a year. I'll be down there Thanksgiving week. Maybe we can meet up. About the degree. For about a decade I did shitty jobs and had no degree or skills. I decided to go back to school because I like science. The idea about Fastlane or to view money the real way that it is has never been something I understood. It has taken me to the age I am now to learn all this. Had I know this stuff 10-15 years ago things would be different. Actually, my degree is more focused on evolution/ecology/organisms. I have taken the cell and molecular type courses in the beginning but pretty much all science people have to take these. I have worked at a nature preserve and this is what I am aiming for. But at the moment I am working for the county doing GIS work (Geographical Information Systems). I need to leave this job though because you sit in an office all day and I really hate the environment too.

NewManRising

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Beautiful.

For entrepreneurship, it's kind of a double-edged sword: Lot of people with money out there so entrepreneurs can make a killing.

On the flip side, the government knows it and will tax you to death.

I haven't read the book but I heard it is decent tool for beginning a money system, even for an aspiring Fastlaner.

MJ,

Yeah the area I live is surrounded with affluent communities. Lots of wealthy people. I could see some opportunities here I just have to find them. Ramsey's book is a slowlaners blueprint. Although, he does get you to think different about finances.

smark

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be down there Thanksgiving week. Maybe we can meet up.
Sure, send me a message and we'll make it happen!

I could see some opportunities here I just have to find them.
Looks like you're on the right track. I say keep your job for now, and work on finding an unmet need in your daily life or even in your local community. Let us know how it goes.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
welcome to the forum if you can put up a process page and you will get ample feedback from many great users on here

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...