The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

New company with 600k funding wants to teach you how to program

77startup

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Aug 4, 2011
Chicago
Hello guys,

I came across this site yesterday when searching while trying to learn CSS and they seem pretty serious about teaching their members how to code well enough to actually get a job.

They have some free videos you can check out and then its $25 USD- $49 USD a month to learn everything you need to know to have a solid base. You earn badges for completing test, and those badges get posted to your profile page which show cases all of your course work and custom work.

I figured this would help everyone who is new to coding on the forum.Web Design And Development Community Treehouse Wants To Teach You How To Code, Get You A Job | TechCrunch

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

G-man422

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Oct 5, 2011
Ohio, USA
Just what I have been looking for. Thanks 77.

77startup

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Aug 4, 2011
Chicago
No problem, it looked too good to keep to myself =D

fellipe

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Sep 5, 2011
I always wonder why this startups always need this kind of funding...

Anyway seems like an awesome website!! Thanks

tm33

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 10, 2011
I just signed up. I'll keep everyone updated on what I think.

77startup

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Aug 4, 2011
Chicago
I just signed up. I'll keep everyone updated on what I think.

I'm signed up too, if you have any questions or get stuck feel free to pm. My goal is to master front end development.

Sep 30, 2011
Hi!

Thank you very much. Right now I am looking for a full time job to start saving while I seek inspiration. I am not an idea kind of guy so I am shorthanded that way. I recon not everyone has awareness in that category. That is why I read books to raise awareness.

Once I do find a job in my field, I plan on spending the nights partaking in CSS. Is this enough to know how to design forums, blogs, site, etc. etc. Also, how much time do you have to give to this? Will two hours everyday be enough?

Thank you very much. Looking forward to your response and experiences.

77startup

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Aug 4, 2011
Chicago
Hi!

Thank you very much. Right now I am looking for a full time job to start saving while I seek inspiration. I am not an idea kind of guy so I am shorthanded that way. I recon not everyone has awareness in that category. That is why I read books to raise awareness.

Once I do find a job in my field, I plan on spending the nights partaking in CSS. Is this enough to know how to design forums, blogs, site, etc. etc. Also, how much time do you have to give to this? Will two hours everyday be enough?

Thank you very much. Looking forward to your response and experiences.

I would have to answer yes. These guys are serious about teaching you the skills you need to actually get work, and they already have companies that are trying to hire their "graduates" like livingsocial. It's aimed at unemployed people who don't have the skills to survive in the new techworld so it's extremely novice friendly.

Their $25 usd membership grants you access to all of their training videos and their $50 usd membership grants you access to all of their advanced videos where they show you how to build complete websites from scratch.

2 hours a day of productivity should be fine, and you can expect to have a solid understanding of the path youchoose within 6-7 months. Also they are going to be adding php fundamentals, ruby fundamentals, and other more hardcore programming languages in the future so you can really think of these guys as your school.

Blacktye6000

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Sep 17, 2011
Washington, DC
I would have to answer yes. These guys are serious about teaching you the skills you need to actually get work, and they already have companies that are trying to hire their "graduates" like livingsocial. It's aimed at unemployed people who don't have the skills to survive in the new techworld so it's extremely novice friendly.

Their $25 usd membership grants you access to all of their training videos and their $50 usd membership grants you access to all of their advanced videos where they show you how to build complete websites from scratch.

2 hours a day of productivity should be fine, and you can expect to have a solid understanding of the path youchoose within 6-7 months. Also they are going to be adding php fundamentals, ruby fundamentals, and other more hardcore programming languages in the future so you can really think of these guys as your school.

I just signed up!! I'm going to start a business building websites on the side. Thanks. Speed++

I have three Badges already!!

awesom-o

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Aug 10, 2011
United Kingdom
Thanks for sharing looks excellent :)

Just wondering for those of you who have signed up so far how in depth do the lessons go? Would you be able to design a fairly complex website using the knowledge on offer?

77startup

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Aug 4, 2011
Chicago
Thanks for sharing looks excellent :)

Just wondering for those of you who have signed up so far how in depth do the lessons go? Would you be able to design a fairly complex website using the knowledge on offer?

Each lesson is roughly 5-10 minutes long and goes into grave detail about one single idea, theme, or piece of code. As for designing a fairly complex website that is the main goal of this online school so I think so, however I still have a ways to go as I only have 6 badges.

However, I can assure you that you will leave with a strong understanding of the fundamentals and will get lots of practice with actual code. If you pay $50 usd a month they will actually show you how they built complicated websites from scratch as well as special conference information.

PPC Coach

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Nov 12, 2011
Nice, these sites are great. I run several membership sites at the moment and they work very well.

You can get all the info they're giving you for free, but it's something about having it all organized and paying for it that makes it higher quality in our minds.

:)

77startup

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Aug 4, 2011
Chicago
Nice, these sites are great. I run several membership sites at the moment and they work very well.

You can get all the info they're giving you for free, but it's something about having it all organized and paying for it that makes it higher quality in our minds.

I think it has more to do with them having constantly updated materials, 600k in funding/lasting power, and creating an easy to follow learning path than some placebo mind effect. JMHO.

PPC Coach

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Nov 12, 2011
One thing I noticed is they're outsourcing their videos to 3rd party companies, (at least the one free one I saw).

I don't get why they'd need $600k in funding though unless it's for a massive marketing campaign that they can't finance internally.

I've started all my sites by internal funding though so I don't understand why you'd give up a percentage of your company if you don't have to. (I read that they were already profitable before).

Brander

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Jun 3, 2011
Australia, USA, Europe
A good resource for people who look to learn coding in order to gain employment.

If you want to build your own application rather just start coding the application you want to do and go to something like stackoverflow to ask questions when you get stuck.

Otherwise just pay a local student to do the work for you. I mean it's about speed of execution above all else. Why learn something that would not necessarily apply to what you will need to do to finish your application?

Blacktye6000

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Sep 17, 2011
Washington, DC
I joined to learn a new skill set. I'm up to 8 badges now. It's very interesting, as I had no experience in coding whatsoever!!!

My thought is to design websites on the side

77startup

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Aug 4, 2011
Chicago
A good resource for people who look to learn coding in order to gain employment.

If you want to build your own application rather just start coding the application you want to do and go to something like stackoverflow to ask questions when you get stuck.

Otherwise just pay a local student to do the work for you. I mean it's about speed of execution above all else. Why learn something that would not necessarily apply to what you will need to do to finish your application?

I think it's a really good idea for everyone to continue to master skills that are in high demand especially if you're young, creating a start up, unmarried, or have time on your hands.

Outsourcing/insourcing the work is great for speeding things up as I do it all the time but knowing how to do it yourself just makes everything easier and less expensive unless you never plan to update your site/app again.

MMatt

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Nov 14, 2011
Hmm this looks interesting. Id like to learn about web development and coding etc as I think its quite valuable in this modern age. There are too many fastlane businesses revolving around the internet to ignore the need. Seems like a valuable skill set to me.

FionaS

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 12, 2011
Anchorage, AK
I finished all the free HTML lessons... a lot of it was an overview but I also learned some new things. The lessons felt pretty thorough, easy to understand and if you follow along as the lesson progresses you get a lot of practice (and opportunity to try different things out). I'm definitely considering budgeting for the monthly membership... it's a valuable resource.

77startup

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Aug 4, 2011
Chicago
It's truly great for learners like me who simply need everything explaned in a quick, simple, practical way. You can also download all of the videos so tech you could pay the fee once and download all of the videos within the first week.

However, this is one monthly membership I think I'll stay a member of.

77startup

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Aug 4, 2011
Chicago
Well guys I've finished the web development videos and I must say I have a pretty solid understanding of CSS3 and HTML4 +HTML 5. It's been 20 days since I started learning and now I can build a site from scratch. If you're interesting in front end web development you should consider paying the $25 bucks.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.