The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Needing to Pivot Late in Life

MCF

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Aug 23, 2018
Marietta, GA
Hey everyone,
My name is Manny just turned 40 in September. I have been a Mercedes technician for the last 22 years. Have made killer money throughout my career. Have an amazing wife and two wonderful daughters.

The last few years, for various reasons, I became extremely unfulfilled with my work and wanted out of something I used to love. After so many years of extensive training, self learning, huge investment in tools, years of being a cog in a huge corporate machine, and all the aches and pains of manual labor I felt helpless and became depressed.

It was affecting my relationships with my loving family. Tons of self doubt took root in my mind:

"Your to old to start something new"
"What else can you do this is all you know?"
blah...blah...blah....

I am well aware that its all excuses based on subconscious fear. Back in August, I was listening to a Dave Ramsey rant about hating your J.O.B. or something. Something he said stuck a cord
"If your soul leaves for Gods sake take your body with it.." I packed my sh*t and quit that day.

I am not nearly as depressed. My relationships with my girls is awesome. I've been helping out at a buddies shop a 3-4 days a week to make a few bucks. Once my show car sells I should have enough $ to take 6 months and work at something new without feeling like I am failing my family.

Things I am working on daily, that are holding me back:

Reaching out and connecting with people (I am for the most part an Introvert, Mostly type 5 personality)

Conquering my fears/ self limiting beliefs

Learn and try new things

Find a way to truly help people and find the work I am meant to do.

I will end this long brain dump now,lol.
I am looking forward to sharing any knowledge I have and learning from you all.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jon.M

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jul 4, 2016
Sweden
Hey MCF, welcome to our community. Hope you find it valuable and I'm looking forward to seeing you around here. Any plans for what do you once your show car gets sold? Try to make use of your existing experience and knowledge or get into something completely new?

MCF

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Aug 23, 2018
Marietta, GA
Hey MCF, welcome to our community. Hope you find it valuable and I'm looking forward to seeing you around here. Any plans for what do you once your show car gets sold? Try to make use of your existing experience and knowledge or get into something completely new?
I think making use of existing knowledge and experience, but into a new way or in another market.

For example: My buddy that owns his shop and other shop owners have trouble with marketing, most companies they have worked with don't really understand the automotive business . So if I learned digital marketing I could focus on getting quality client for shops. IDK if its feasible just throwing an idea out.

Not really sure, no matter how many ideas come to me I somehow talk myself out of them. My focus is regain my confidence or learn to act in spite of my fears or whatever other BS I tell myself.

SEBASTlAN

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Dec 22, 2014
Los Angeles
Welcome man.

Can you write a course or ebook about your technical skills? I'm sure people will pay to learn what you know.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Welcome Manny.

Not related to fastlane stuff but I've always wondered if Benz reliability is as bad as folks believe.

Back on topic: I'm a firm believer in starting wherever you find yourself. Start brainstorming on how to monetize your knowledge. Perhaps there were consistent customer complaints that can be solved and turned into a product?

Sheens

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Jan 13, 2018
USA
Welcome! You are not too old and you certainly can make the fastlane your reality. There are many great mindset threads on here!

Eli Cohen

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Jan 15, 2015
Philadelphia
I think making use of existing knowledge and experience, but into a new way or in another market.

For example: My buddy that owns his shop and other shop owners have trouble with marketing, most companies they have worked with don't really understand the automotive business . So if I learned digital marketing I could focus on getting quality client for shops. IDK if its feasible just throwing an idea out.

Not really sure, no matter how many ideas come to me I somehow talk myself out of them. My focus is regain my confidence or learn to act in spite of my fears or whatever other BS I tell myself.

Hi I saw this post because you remind me of my dad. Good at what he does but not very fulfilled and not confident in his abilities to do something else. If you aren't confident in your skills you need to really focus on that. You can gain confidence by DOING. You can absolutely pick up new skills any human can, just takes determination and making it a habit.

I wish you luck in your new adventure!

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Welcome Manny,

I think you will do just fine.

It's pretty obvious you have what it takes and you already have identified your major stumbling blocks so you know what you need to work on. AND you already have at least one idea you can execute on.

Yes, I think you will do just fine.

daru

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Feb 11, 2017
Earth

That sounds like a potential Need? Maybe not CENTS but I imagine it will put you in a good position between the shops and the customers. Which in turn may open up some possibilities that are hard to see right know that could be real Fastlane businesses?

I think some of us (me atleast) just have to start on something otherwise we just go in circles talking ourselves out of everything in the end?

Set a deadline like 2 weeks or something to gather ideas and listening for needs. Then choose the best one and execute.

MCF

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Aug 23, 2018
Marietta, GA
[
Welcome man.

Can you write a course or ebook about your technical skills? I'm sure people will pay to learn what you know.
Not something that crossed my mind, but I could see it being possible.

Welcome Manny.

Not related to fastlane stuff but I've always wondered if Benz reliability is as bad as folks believe.

Actually most models are quite reliable, not low maintenance like a Lexus. We had a e class coupe for 10 years and it had 397k when I sold it. The wifes current supercharged AMG daily just broke 200k no issues. Had a client with an S class with over 700k and it was in better shape than most 60k mile cars.

Its a lot about how you care for things, except BMWs most of those things are junk. Sorry BMW fans but my god the consistent shit that blows up on those things.

I think some of us (me atleast) just have to start on something otherwise we just go in circles talking ourselves out of everything in the end?

I believe that is what I need to do. Even something that is not super long term, a small WIN even. Just to start building some momentum to something bigger.

daru

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Feb 11, 2017
Earth
[

Not something that crossed my mind, but I could see it being possible.

Actually most models are quite reliable, not low maintenance like a Lexus. We had a e class coupe for 10 years and it had 397k when I sold it. The wifes current supercharged AMG daily just broke 200k no issues. Had a client with an S class with over 700k and it was in better shape than most 60k mile cars.

Its a lot about how you care for things, except BMWs most of those things are junk. Sorry BMW fans but my god the consistent sh*t that blows up on those things.

I believe that is what I need to do. Even something that is not super long term, a small WIN even. Just to start building some momentum to something bigger.
Haha, I own an older BMW and yeah. German quality my a$$!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...