The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Need suggestions on reaching out to local businesses

TC2

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 30, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I would like to get some suggestions on reaching out to local businesses, which are my target customers.

Here are some of the methods I can think of and I have tried.

• Local chamber of commerce. A lot of my target local businesses are not with any chamber of commerce. I am trying to get the biz info off chamber of commerce web site, so I can send flyer and post card.
  • Local meetup. This seem to work the best so far. However, it took a lot of my time and the ROI is still low.
  • Flyer or post card. Seem to be pricy, but seem very straight forward.
  • Craigslist. Tried this and got only spam email asking me to join MLM program to sell juice.
  • Door to door. Local business don't seem to like people solicit them during the business hour. It's also time consuming.
  • Press Release. Some of my target local businesses are NOT even familiar with Internet. PR doesn't seem to reach out to them.
  • Words of mouth. Since I just got started, there is not much to say about my services to others. I am working on this.
  • PPC or Advertisement. This only attracts marketers and consumers, but not local business owners.
  • Hiring Public Relation agency. This seem to be very affective, but it is also very expensive.
  • Work with commercial property managers. I am thinking to have property managers to talk to their tenant. If their tenant close their business, the landlord will also lose business. So it could be very beneficial.
  • E-Mail Marketing. Same issues as Press Release that business owners don't use Internet that much.
  • Buying air time at local radio stations. This is very expensive. I haven't had luck to penetrate into the news media. Almost had chance to be on local TV News though.
  • Local News Paper. Too bad. They seem to have conflict interest with what I do. Will continue trying.
  • Highway billboard. Well. I dont' even want to know how much that cost. It will be my last option.

What would you suggest if I have $2000 budget to spend? Any other ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TC2

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 30, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
It's local advertisement online. In other words, to publish local business promotions online.

For what I have already, it works well. I am looking for a more efficient way to get more local businesses' attention.

Thanks!

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Cold calling. Takes a lot of balls to do but should work. I've seen Gary Vaynerchuk do it live on cam, calling one of advertisers on Google Search Engine page. It worked...

Rakona

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Jul 14, 2009
I'm a fan of fax sequences, ask who handles the marketing, then ask for permission to send over some info (req'd by law - be careful with that). Send them a few well thought out faxes, this way when you call back, they may have some idea who you are.

"I sent you over a few faxes" hopefully they at least saw them before throwing in them into the trash and at best they actually read them. How much they read is not important.

This way they have a little knowledge of you vs. just being another cold caller.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
It's local advertisement online. In other words, to publish local business promotions online.

For what I have already, it works well. I am looking for a more efficient way to get more local businesses' attention.

Thanks!

Do you have stats to backup that it is working well? If so, then door to door.

Stop in at open (most local biz do not see opening rush). Say "I wonder if you are interested in increasing your revenue by x%?" Bob down the street did, and he is seeing x results. If he/she cannot talk, say no problem. Then stop in the following week at the exact same time. Always stop in at the same time each week until you get a sale, unless they start avoiding that time. Most small biz folks want to do biz with someone they know.

Also, if you can afford it, bring treat with you each time, like a small bag of candy or some bagels or something. At the very least leaves a positive memory with the staff about you.

TC2

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 30, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Cold calling. Takes a lot of balls to do but should work. I've seen Gary Vaynerchuk do it live on cam, calling one of advertisers on Google Search Engine page. It worked...

Thanks! Calling people while on the web cam? That's very interesting, but I wonder how he got people to watch the videos at first place.

I'm a fan of fax sequences, ask who handles the marketing, then ask for permission to send over some info (req'd by law - be careful with that). Send them a few well thought out faxes, this way when you call back, they may have some idea who you are.

"I sent you over a few faxes" hopefully they at least saw them before throwing in them into the trash and at best they actually read them. How much they read is not important.

This way they have a little knowledge of you vs. just being another cold caller.

That make perfect sense. Thanks!

Do you have stats to backup that it is working well? If so, then door to door.

Stop in at open (most local biz do not see opening rush). Say "I wonder if you are interested in increasing your revenue by x%?" Bob down the street did, and he is seeing x results. If he/she cannot talk, say no problem. Then stop in the following week at the exact same time. Always stop in at the same time each week until you get a sale, unless they start avoiding that time. Most small biz folks want to do biz with someone they know.

Also, if you can afford it, bring treat with you each time, like a small bag of candy or some bagels or something. At the very least leaves a positive memory with the staff about you.

I know it works well, because some of my current beta customers are getting great result. I will need to put that together as marketing materials. I think I will do what you said to spend sometime go door to door. I think you nail the point. To make myself unforgettable to them. That's exactly what I did to get my first few beta test customers even they got free accounts.

I think I will take it slow. One customer at a time. I was expecting to get tremendous progress at short time frame. Have to be patient.

Thank you all!

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
I would go with pure SEO. Build a site to target what the local business owners you are targeting would be searching for.

So if you're selling blue widget glue to Phoenix widget manufacturers, create a site to dominate that local search.

This serves multipurpose, as you will get the organic traffic, have better landing page quality for your PPC campaigns and have a destination to direct people to for all your other marketing efforts.

Rakona

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Jul 14, 2009
few other ideas:

1. If you can offer your service for free to develop case studies.
2. I think there's not much better than referrals from current clients, make that part of your routine.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Thanks! Calling people while on the web cam? That's very interesting, but I wonder how he got people to watch the videos at first place.

He has tens of thousands of people waiting for videos at garyvaynerchuk.com. I will search for that video and post it here later on.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012

Please SEARCH before posting.