The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Need some direction to my problem

Spikeroo

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Aug 17, 2011
Merritt Island, Fl
Hi Guys, I've been researching online marketplaces and decided to finally start mine, however, I'm a little stuck. The website I'm looking to build is very complex. Its a multi vendor marketplace exactly like Swappa.com, I'm basically looking to clone the site, minus the niche of electronics. Its user to user rather than a vendor having their own storefront. I've browsing Fiverr, asked a few local businesses on how much they would charge to build it. The cost the local shops are asking is $10,000 starting. The fiverr users I've found are around $2000 or less, (Bangladesh, china, etc. )

Heres my question.
Should I learn to make it myself? My dilemma is that if I learn to do it myself, it will take months if not years for a single person to develop something so complex. The Pro to hiring would be efficiency, time frame would be less than a month, and it would be done correctly.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PowerJen

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jun 13, 2017
Brisbane, Australia

elina_nazarova

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Dec 23, 2019
Ukraine
Hi Guys, I've been researching online marketplaces and decided to finally start mine, however, I'm a little stuck. The website I'm looking to build is very complex. Its a multi vendor marketplace exactly like Swappa.com, I'm basically looking to clone the site, minus the niche of electronics. Its user to user rather than a vendor having their own storefront. I've browsing Fiverr, asked a few local businesses on how much they would charge to build it. The cost the local shops are asking is $10,000 starting. The fiverr users I've found are around $2000 or less, (Bangladesh, china, etc. )

Heres my question.
Should I learn to make it myself? My dilemma is that if I learn to do it myself, it will take months if not years for a single person to develop something so complex. The Pro to hiring would be efficiency, time frame would be less than a month, and it would be done correctly.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Hi!
I would recommend to hire a development company. Your studying will really take months, and it still doesn't guarantee you will build the platform correctly.

Try to search Goodfirms, Clutch, Upwork for a needed software company.

Good luck in your search!

NMdad

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Aug 6, 2017
New Mexico
If you're basically cloning another site/business, what value skew(s) will you have? Otherwise, it sounds like you'd just be building a castle on sand.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ilya C

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jun 6, 2019
>$10,000 starting
This is more or less reasonable, but still very low.

>My dilemma is that if I learn to do it myself, it will take months if not years for a single person to develop something so complex
This is too optimistic. Do you have the specs? Do you have design? Are you going to support mobile, tablet, desktop? What ways are there to register/login? (FB, Google, email/pwd, etc).
How will you store the data of different products (since they have different kinds of data). I'm not even scratching the surface.

Maybe try and find a smaller first step in this business, or an easier business in general. Or an investor. NMdad's question is important - how are you going to be better than the competition?

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
a $10,000 software project is not complex. a $250k project is starting to be pretty complicated. $1M+ is quite complicated.

You need to start from ground 0 ... define your business objectives.

1) What market are you going after and why?
2) What will bring people to your site instead of Swappa?
3) How will you make money with those people?
4) what feature set will those people REQUIRE in order to pay you money?
5) How will you develop your product beyond that?

Once you have these questions answered, you should draw out all the screens the app will have, how the workflow will work, what the various features will do. At that point, you can start getting quotes, or look at developing it yourself.

Edit: just for some perspective. $10,000 is about a month's worth of work for a full-time mid-level employee at a run of the mill software company. To hire an agency, you'd only get about a week or two worth of work for that amount. This is US prices. If you hire in 3rd world countries, you can multiply that time by about 4.

for some more perspective ... someone in the US that is willing to do months worth of work for $10K is an idiot that can't or won't work for more than minimum wage. ... you get what you pay for.

Last edited:

dshalev

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Nov 29, 2019

dshalev

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Nov 29, 2019

Spikeroo

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Aug 17, 2011
Merritt Island, Fl
Thank you all for the advice. Some didnt read my post thoroughly. I am NOT in the niche of electronics. I simply want the Layout/functionality of Swapp.com.

Sounds like I need to do more research on development companies.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.