The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Need help with not getting any Upwork job offers

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

ssafwann

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
May 29, 2023
Hey everyone!

Around two weeks ago, I found Lex DeVille's thread about his Upwork tutorial, and since then, I have watched all the videos he made and started working on making changes. I changed my profile entirely to be specific to a certain niche which is "landing page web developer." I added more projects to make my portfolio look better. I started writing "you" specific proposals.

But still, nothing has changed; I am still getting 0 messages from any clients. I am not 100% bothered by not getting any job hires, but it's frustrating that not even a single person has messaged me.

I would appreciate it if anyone could tell me what I am doing wrong or what needs improving.

My Upwork profile: https://upwork.com/freelancers/~0198b30ad56d2e9f6d
Proposals I have written: Upwork Proposals

Thank you in advance if you decide to help me.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Tagging @Lex DeVille who is the expert, maybe you can add something?

From what I see the profile is You focused, it is well written, the only thing I thought was that your two portfolio works look pretty much the same. I don’t have any complaints about the text, even in the proposals.

I think you gotta stick to it. Not sure what Lex thinks but maybe take one or two jobs at a very low rate to get some reviews going? Just a thought of something I’d try, but keep at it, I think you’re doing the right things. It’s a numbers game.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
595%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I think you gotta stick to it.
Yes. That's a big part of it. Two weeks in is barely scratching the surface. Send more proposals.

Now the critical part.

I would appreciate it if anyone could tell me what I am doing wrong or what needs improving.
You're using my templates, but not making them your own.

As a landing page developer, you're expected to be creative and know how to come up with structure on your own.

Thousands of freelancers have used these templates and, as you've demonstrated, are still using them.

Looking at your proposals, I don't see YOU Focus. I see shortcuts.

You've copied my templates and replaced some of the words, but the words you chose don't speak to your client's needs. They're not deep enough. They're just shallow surface-level words that probably ignore what the client actually indicated they needed help with in their job post.

"When you work with me, you will get fast responses, clear communication, and no objections to changes/improvements." - meh

"You need a web developer who can help you make a landing page. Preferably someone that can develop according to your requirements." - meh

"When you work with me, you will get a fixed-simple rate, including future revisions and maintenance. The final result will be a clean, lighting-loading speed, and visually attractive website. It will also be delivered on the deadline. " - meh meh

Shortcuts aren't the way. You must deeply care about other people because helping others starts with understanding their problems, and understanding starts with empathy. When you empathize with others, then you will know what they need to read. Then you just have to spend time crafting a proposal that PROVES you are the only choice to solve their problem.

ssafwann

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
May 29, 2023
Not sure what Lex thinks but maybe take one or two jobs at a very low rate to get some reviews going?
You are right, I have been focusing on low-rate projects, but I still have my expectations too high. I need to start from the bottom first, especially because I have no previous client history. Thank you.

Shortcuts aren't the way. You must deeply care about other people because helping others starts with understanding their problems, and understanding starts with empathy. When you empathize with others, then you will know what they need to read. Then you just have to spend time crafting a proposal that PROVES you are the only choice to solve their problem.
Appreciate the advice; you are absolutely right. I realized where I may be making mistakes immediately. Thank you.

ssafwann

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
May 29, 2023
Also, just an update, I managed to get my first interview today. It was for quite a low-paying job, but I am willing to take on any type of project as of now. Not sure if I will get hired, but I am really happy to get my first interview, and hopefully, this marks the start of many more.

It definitely helped writing a more "you" focused proposal and really focusing on the needs of the client. And from now on, I will only apply to clients that write lengthy job posts, as that allows me to work with more information to write a better proposal.

Thanks for the help.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
I changed my profile entirely to be specific to a certain niche which is "landing page web developer.

Go read everything by @Fox and consider signing up for his legend's program. He's one of the best contributors to this forum and his expertise is focused on selling websites.

Let me crudely attempt to summarize his thoughts: no one cares about having a website, but everyone cares about getting more sales. You need to reframe your offering about getting sales for clients in a specific niche. And you need to write proposals that cater to those niches. Go read The Gary Halbert Letter to understand how to do this.

Devilery

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 11, 2019
What worked well for me is to show not tell that you can do the job.

For example, someone is looking to get done something similar to what I've done before, so I would simply tell about that project, how I approached it, and what results it got.

If it's something that I haven't done, I'd propose a basic action plan - e.g. here's a good example, I'd suggest using this style, tweak the positioning to X, and get [useful feature] implemented to [solve your problem].

I always ended with something like - if you'd like me to create a quick outline/draft, let me know and I'll send it to you by tomorrow.

ssafwann

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
May 29, 2023
Go read everything by @Fox and consider signing up for his legend's program. He's one of the best contributors to this forum and his expertise is focused on selling websites.
Yes, I know about Fox, and I have learned a lot of things from his books and threads. Unfortunately, I cannot afford his program yet. But the goal is to join it in the future, as I know it will 100% be worth it. Thank you for the other advice as well; I will look into the website you linked.

What worked well for me is to show not tell that you can do the job.

For example, someone is looking to get done something similar to what I've done before, so I would simply tell about that project, how I approached it, and what results it got.
I've definitely heard this advice before; thanks for the reminder. I, for sure, have made the mistake of not seeming that I am the best client to do the job; that is something I will work on.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
Yes, I know about Fox, and I have learned a lot of things from his books and threads. Unfortunately, I cannot afford his program yet. But the goal is to join it in the future, as I know it will 100% be worth it. Thank you for the other advice as well; I will look into the website you linked.

His course has financing options so that you can make monthly payments instead of all at once. You could pay the $250 on a credit card, then make $500+ that month, then have extra cash before your payment is due.

Also, I believe he has a freelance community / program which is cheaper than the legends program (@Fox correct me if I'm wrong).

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany
Hey everyone!

Around two weeks ago, I found Lex DeVille's thread about his Upwork tutorial, and since then, I have watched all the videos he made and started working on making changes. I changed my profile entirely to be specific to a certain niche which is "landing page web developer." I added more projects to make my portfolio look better. I started writing "you" specific proposals.

But still, nothing has changed; I am still getting 0 messages from any clients. I am not 100% bothered by not getting any job hires, but it's frustrating that not even a single person has messaged me.

My Upwork profile: https://upwork.com/freelancers/~0198b30ad56d2e9f6d
Proposals I have written: Upwork Proposals

Thank you in advance if you decide to help me.
One thing I can think of is going even more specific.

Landing page developer for e-learning companies/lead gen companies/agencies/etc.

Being a landing page dev is really broad imo.

ssafwann

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
May 29, 2023
His course has financing options so that you can make monthly payments instead of all at once. You could pay the $250 on a credit card, then make $500+ that month, then have extra cash before your payment is due.

Also, I believe he has a freelance community / program which is cheaper than the legends program (@Fox correct me if I'm wrong).
Oh, thanks didn't know he had these different financing options. And yes, he does have a cheaper profitable skills community. I will consider joining that first and then eventually the Legend program.

ssafwann

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
May 29, 2023
One thing I can think of is going even more specific.

Landing page developer for e-learning companies/lead gen companies/agencies/etc.

Being a landing page dev is really broad imo.
I absolutely agree with you. When I set my title as "landing page developer," I also thought that maybe I could make it more specific. But I decided to start with something a bit broader, as I believed it would get me more clients. I guess now is the time to consider making it more specific.

How does "Company Landing Page Developer" sound? I know it's not that specific, but I'm afraid that if I write something like "dental landing page developer" that will severely shorten the range of clients I can work with.

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany
I absolutely agree with you. When I set my title as "landing page developer," I also thought that maybe I could make it more specific. But I decided to start with something a bit broader, as I believed it would get me more clients. I guess now is the time to consider making it more specific.

How does "Company Landing Page Developer" sound? I know it's not that specific, but I'm afraid that if I write something like "dental landing page developer" that will severely shorten the range of clients I can work with.
I'd go for industries that simply have lots of demand. Company is not narrowing it down at all.

Ecom, B2b agencies and e-learning are sectors that can make lots of money from a landing page and that are still broad enough so you have enough clients.
Also, for now you only need one so don't worry that a billion dollar industry (like dentists) is too small :)

Desolation Row

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Nov 16, 2022
Austria
Yes, I know about Fox, and I have learned a lot of things from his books and threads
@Fox also has a wonderful Instagram Page where he posts Short and extremely helpful Videos. I would highly recommend following him on Instagram.

ssafwann

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
May 29, 2023
I'd go for industries that simply have lots of demand. Company is not narrowing it down at all.

Ecom, B2b agencies and e-learning are sectors that can make lots of money from a landing page and that are still broad enough so you have enough clients.
Also, for now you only need one so don't worry that a billion dollar industry (like dentists) is too small :)
Ah, that makes it much easier, then. Not exactly sure what I will go for, but ecom sounds good. Thanks.

DoWhatWorks

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Apr 19, 2023
A lot of good contributions already.

As someone who actively makes money on Upwork I'd highly recommend you send Loom videos too.

People love being educated not sold.

Ask for their existing website and record a loom of you sharing things they're doing well & what they could do better.

You can even do this for a generic site and share the video saying you can do a similar thing for them.

Helped me build credibility and sales in the early days for sure.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.