The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Upwork experience as a non-tech person

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

bootstrapper

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Jan 26, 2020
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,
I loved reading MJ's two books and this forum, so I wanted to share my experience. I'm looking for feedback on how to do this better and hopefully I can inspire people.

First of all, I was inspired by @Lex's thread on how to start on Upwork if you have no cash and no experience (https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/lex-devilles-2019-step-by-step-upwork-tutorial-for-brokeass-bootstrap-beginners-who-need-cash-now.87418/).

I wanted to start earning extra on the side for two reasons: one is that my wife is on maternity leave, and I promised that I would replace her salary; the second is that I wanted to save up to buy a web business.

The thread talks about doing copwriting and web design. I don't have any of those skills nor did I want to spend the time to learn them well, so I got startedby doing what I know how to do...financial models and business plans. With that, I got started on Upwork. I had been approved a long time ago and got started.

With that, i started in the third week of January and here are the results so far:

1. I already had a profile, but it was stale after not being used in a long time. With Lex's help, I was able to dust it off and rework the language to make my profile much more appealing and you-focused. That's key, as before, I wasn't articulating the value proposition.

2. I already have a decade of expertise doing financial models, business plans, etc. so I tried to leverage that skill, specifically targeting people who need high quality materials for banks, investors or other third parties.Customer who need this will understand that good materials mean the difference between success or not, so they are not trying to nickel and dime.

3. I started applying for jobs with "You" focused proposals. Frankly, i think that this is where I had fallen down before.Earlier, I had tried to IMPRESS potential employers with credentials or my previous portfolio...whereas now I just drill down to what they want, what I can do for them, and then a couple of intelligent questions that assume the sale. As an example, I always ask "Who's the audience?", as VCs want different things than a bank. Or I ask what they want to get out of the process.

4.Sometimes in the proposal I chip in a little bit of my experience where it's relevant, but more like "in my experience, you should do it this way..." and it's usually well received.

5. The thing about this kind of work is that people don't know what they don't know. Once you open up for them the world of good financials/reporting and good planning as a way to run the business, keep lenders/investors happy, then they are open to a bigger engagement. Sometimes they ask for helping getting in front of investors. Either way, there is a much higher potential wallet than what's indiciated on Upwork.

6. Results so far in January and through the 15th of Feburary:
- Paid $18 x 2 for a membership with a healthy budget for connects
- Sent out 14 proposals.
- Got interviews from 4 of those.
- Got invited to interview for 2 roles. This never happened before on Upwork.
- Was hired for a $200 job, but had to turn it down due to conflict of interest (I have an ownership stake in their main competitor!)
- Was hired for and have collected $900 from one job.
- Was hired and am working now on a $2000 job. Received a $500 milestone already.
- Was offered a $1500 job but it hasn't started, so I will believe it when I see it.
- Have 3 outstanding discussions/interviews at the moment. [these are when we are trying to set up a phone call essentially]

Total: $1400 collected, another $1500 in the pipeline, and plenty more proposals going out there.

7. Needless to say, an extra $2000-$3000 in the space of six weeks is good...and knowing that I can do this nights and weekends and make that much every month is life-changing. If I keep this pace then I will tell the wife that she doesn't need to go back to work unless she wants to.

8. Wanted to think about how to FastLane this more. In the future, I will take this in two directions.

- The first is to offer business plans,financial models, pitch decks as now, but to position it more as "strategic advisory" so that the price point is higher and the engagement stickier.
- The second is ideally to hire employees/freelancers to help me. First off would be a designer to help with the design element of pitch decks. The second is maybe an employee to update spreadsheet templates that I design, and then I just review their work. With that, I think I could take on a bunch of lower-value jobs (e.g. the $300 financial model) work and just collect the margin of $100 per job.

Any way, thank you everyone! You can do it!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
I love your enthusiasm and was excited to read but my hope kinda dimmed when you wrote about how much experience you already have in writing financial models and business plans. I don’t have any experience writing anything formally. However I’ve had many ppl tell me I *can* write well so.. I think I’ll just jump in to Upwork and give it a shot.. the worst that can happen is nothing.

Thanks for the write up. It’s encouraging.

Jesse D

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Apr 10, 2019
New Jersey
Hello everyone,
I loved reading MJ's two books and this forum, so I wanted to share my experience. I'm looking for feedback on how to do this better and hopefully I can inspire people.

First of all, I was inspired by @Lex's thread on how to start on Upwork if you have no cash and no experience (https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/lex-devilles-2019-step-by-step-upwork-tutorial-for-brokeass-bootstrap-beginners-who-need-cash-now.87418/).

I wanted to start earning extra on the side for two reasons: one is that my wife is on maternity leave, and I promised that I would replace her salary; the second is that I wanted to save up to buy a web business.

The thread talks about doing copwriting and web design. I don't have any of those skills nor did I want to spend the time to learn them well, so I got startedby doing what I know how to do...financial models and business plans. With that, I got started on Upwork. I had been approved a long time ago and got started.

With that, i started in the third week of January and here are the results so far:

1. I already had a profile, but it was stale after not being used in a long time. With Lex's help, I was able to dust it off and rework the language to make my profile much more appealing and you-focused. That's key, as before, I wasn't articulating the value proposition.

2. I already have a decade of expertise doing financial models, business plans, etc. so I tried to leverage that skill, specifically targeting people who need high quality materials for banks, investors or other third parties.Customer who need this will understand that good materials mean the difference between success or not, so they are not trying to nickel and dime.

3. I started applying for jobs with "You" focused proposals. Frankly, i think that this is where I had fallen down before.Earlier, I had tried to IMPRESS potential employers with credentials or my previous portfolio...whereas now I just drill down to what they want, what I can do for them, and then a couple of intelligent questions that assume the sale. As an example, I always ask "Who's the audience?", as VCs want different things than a bank. Or I ask what they want to get out of the process.

4.Sometimes in the proposal I chip in a little bit of my experience where it's relevant, but more like "in my experience, you should do it this way..." and it's usually well received.

5. The thing about this kind of work is that people don't know what they don't know. Once you open up for them the world of good financials/reporting and good planning as a way to run the business, keep lenders/investors happy, then they are open to a bigger engagement. Sometimes they ask for helping getting in front of investors. Either way, there is a much higher potential wallet than what's indiciated on Upwork.

- Sent out 14 proposals.
- Was hired for a $200 job, but had to turn it down due to conflict of interest (I have an ownership stake in their main competitor!)
- Was hired and am working now on a $2000 job. Received a $500 milestone already.
- Was offered a $1500 job but it hasn't started, so I will believe it when I see it.
- Have 3 outstanding discussions/interviews at the moment. [these are when we are trying to set up a phone call essentially]

Total: $1400 collected, another $1500 in the pipeline, and plenty more proposals going out there.

7. Needless to say, an extra $2000-$3000 in the space of six weeks is good...and knowing that I can do this nights and weekends and make that much every month is life-changing. If I keep this pace then I will tell the wife that she doesn't need to go back to work unless she wants to.

8. Wanted to think about how to FastLane this more. In the future, I will take this in two directions.

- The first is to offer business plans,financial models, pitch decks as now, but to position it more as "strategic advisory" so that the price point is higher and the engagement stickier.
- The second is ideally to hire employees/freelancers to help me. First off would be a designer to help with the design element of pitch decks. The second is maybe an employee to update spreadsheet templates that I design, and then I just review their work. With that, I think I could take on a bunch of lower-value jobs (e.g. the $300 financial model) work and just collect the margin of $100 per job.

Awesome post here... I've never heard of Upwork until now and just did a 30 minute dive into it. Seems promising if you have a skill set in demand and time to execute.

In Fastlane terms, it seems like Control and Time may be your challenges here.

After reading a few posts through Lex Deville's threads on Upwork, it appears some people have issues with lack of control on Upwork, meaning they don't get approved by Upwork, or maybe their accounts get deactivated over time, etc. I don't know much about this to be honest. But maybe consider if you can stand your services up on multiple freelance websites to increase your position for Control. Meaning, if Upwork all of a sudden shut it's doors to people who have the "skill set" you provide, your entire business would not collapse. You could rely on the business driven by the other freelance sites you partake in.

In regards to Time, I think you're on the right path with possibly hiring people to do the bulk of the work. You can review and put your tweaks on it as necessary before shipping your customers a final product. I think the viability of this idea really is dependent on who you choose to employ and how you establish your working relationship with them. You should be very clear on instructions, expectations and make sure employees understand and are happy with your system/way of work. Just my opinion here!

Anyways, thank you for your post. It got me thinking how I could possibly use Upwork to transition to self-employed some day. I work full time in Defense as an engineer, and I currently have a product I'm working on my own time. If the launch/product fails through crowdfunding, maybe I'll consider some side gigs on Upwork as engineering consulting / performance spec writing for a bit. Sounds like a useful way to explore the potential of the freelancing game.

Cheers and good luck to you! Keep it up!

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
Hello everyone,

- Sent out 14 proposals.

I`ve never given Upwork a try.
Since I`m a web dev, I`m guessing that niche is oversaturated, like freelancer.com is.
Reading your post gave me a little courage, I`ll check what Upwork is all about, thank you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Drive2Riches

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jul 18, 2014
Washington
Hello everyone,

- Sent out 14 proposals.

Inspiring. Nice post.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.