The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Need help, startup roadblock!

mattman2040

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 6, 2016
Hello entrepreneur's,
This would be my first thread and hopefully one of many to come. Ill start out by saying i have experience in dropshipping and customer service so I am very confident in my ability to execute the needs of my future buisness.
I have been out of the game for quite some time and realize that my personal and financial freedom is mine for the taking.
I have what I think would be a great product and I am antsy to contact a manufacturer to proceed with a prototype and outsourcing production.
But so many questions remain and there all weighing heavy on my head.

So here goes....

The idea was my cousins and we both work in the same field and want to partner up on this particular product. But in reality i will be the one handling everything from start to finish. From the market research to the manufacturing to order fullfillment.(Planning on using FBA as my launching point.)
I would like to create a company(sole proprietorship) and resgister a patent and trademark to that company.
But i would like to give all the credit to my cousin and split the profits 50/50. But in the future launch my own products and or services that likely will have nothing to do with him.

Is the company route a good idea?

Should I create a broad company and run subsidiary companies to sell diffrent products?

Should I register a patent pending before beginning manufacturing and who do i register a patent under without stealing his idea?

I know this a long thread but I dont know where to start and any help and or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you fellow entrepreneur's!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
G

GuestUser450

Welcome!

A few things stick out:
The idea was my cousins
...in reality i will be the one handling everything from start to finish.
But i would like to give all the credit to my cousin and split the profits 50/50. But in the future launch my own products and or services that likely will have nothing to do with him.

This might sound harsh but you have to be shrewd, especially in the beginning. What happens now in terms of equity, regardless of real or imagined contribution, is hard to undo.

If he's not bringing anything to the table other than the idea, it's worth something but not 50%. I'd value a creative founder at much less than that.

Also, not sure what you mean by "give credit"? Like him having 100% equity and paying you a salary? I'd flip it 180°and pay him instead. Loyalty and fair distribution are not mutually exclusive.

Why not build and launch that future product/service now?

mattman2040

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 6, 2016
Welcome!

A few things stick out:

This might sound harsh but you have to be shrewd, especially in the beginning. What happens now in terms of equity, regardless of real or imagined contribution, is hard to undo.

If he's not bringing anything to the table other than the idea, it's worth something but not 50%. I'd value a creative founder at much less than that.

Also, not sure what you mean by "give credit"? Like him having 100% equity and paying you a salary? I'd flip it 180°and pay him instead. Loyalty and fair distribution are not mutually exclusive.

Why not build and launch that future product/service now?

I am interested in moving forward with this product. But it is very niche. It is in the field of electricians and in the future and with future proucts or ideas I would like to move outside of that field.
My question is do most entrepreneur's start out with a sole proprietorship or and LLC
And as far as credit i was referring to compensation in some way.s

mattman2040

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 6, 2016
So my take is this and i may sound like a newbie but this is my first crack at developing my own product.
1. Product design and manufacturing
2. Patent pending and trademarking
3. Let it fly

mattman2040

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 6, 2016
I was told that if you make any sales whatsoever of a product you cannot then patent that product

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

OldFaithful

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 11, 2016
Northwest Indiana
My question is do most entrepreneur's start out with a sole proprietorship or and LLC
Perhaps many do not, but I guess I'll be the voice of dissent. There are times when you might need to have that business license at the start, specifically in B2B sales. I've worked with a number of purchasing folks & decision makers that wouldn't give an individual the time of day if they thought the individual was just "a guy working out of his garage". To get past that hurdle you might need the LLC and website to present the image they are familiar with. It will depend largely on your business/industry/product/market.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.