The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Need a mentor to get my income off the ground ?

Rim

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jan 27, 2020
France
So here, under the recommendations of @Fox whom I thank very much, I open this topic and I take action. Like everyone here, my dearest wish is to be financially free, I read books, followed training, some that I have not finished, but in the end I still do not live on what I earn, so I say to myself: could having a mentor help me?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Yes.

An even better question = WHO can help me turn $1 into $2.

Now get to work.

Rim

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jan 27, 2020
France
Yes.

An even better question = WHO can help me turn $1 into $2.

Now get to work.
ah I understand better, ok i'm going to work, can you help me transform 1$ to 2$ please ?

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
In order to get mentoring one of the following has to happen:

1. The mentor wants to mentor you because of personal satisfaction
2. You pay for mentorship.

If you need help turning $1 into $2 then you’ll have a hard time finding 1, and a lot of number 2s that might not be suitable for you.

It’s also hard to find no. 1 when you already know how to turn $1 into $2.

There has to be something to gain for the mentor too. Either personal satisfaction or money. Or both.

Edit: people need to understand that mentorship is for guidance. Sure, you can teach a man how to fish but don’t expect to be given fish.

think of a mentor like you would a fitness coach. If you don’t know how to lift, he can teach you how to lift and better.
But if you have no arms, not much to do there.

Sorry for the weird example but it made sense in my head :rofl:

Last edited:

Rim

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jan 27, 2020
France
In order to get mentoring one of the following has to happen:

1. The mentor wants to mentor you.
2. You pay for mentorship.

If you need help turning $1 into $2 then you’ll have a hard time finding 1, and a lot of number 2s.
1. Yes I understand that the mentor must want to be for me and that's the whole point of this thread :)

2. Regarding paying the mentor, does it depend on the type of mentorship you are looking for? In my mind I imagined that having a mentor was free, finally I took several training courses whose authors can be considered as mentors but I associated this much more with coaching, a coach I find it logical to pay him , a mentor too but how to put it, not necessarily, I imagine there are mentors who want to help just because they want to help like they were helped by their mentor at one time. An idea occurs to me, Robert Kiyosaki, had a rich father as a mentor and yet he did not pay it.

Finally, I am not paying attention to your last remark because it does not bring me any help except to make me more discouraged, it is a judgment on your part, an opinion which was expressed without knowing neither my skills, nor what I have already achieved or anything else in my life.
It reminds me of a sentence from Napoleon Hill: free advice is only worth what it is worth, that is to say nothing :)

Anyway, thank you for taking your time to answer me and help me because I'm sure it was your intention by answering me. I wish you the best, nice day

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
ah I understand better, ok i'm going to work, can you help me transform 1$ to 2$ please ?
what have you done so far?
what research / leg work / training / things have you done and tried? what were their results?
what are your next three actions to complete the task?

here:
View: https://youtu.be/Pa8xMyTh6aE

maverick

Aspice, officio fungeris sine spe honoris ampliori
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Oct 26, 2012
Sounds like an excuse not to do anything

Rim

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jan 27, 2020
France
what have you done so far?
what research / leg work / training / things have you done and tried? what were their results?
what are your next three actions to complete the task?

here:
View: https://youtu.be/Pa8xMyTh6aE
Thanks ZCP for your help,

I have started several blogs, including one for personal development with a mailing list of 2000 subscribers
I offer voice-over services on fiverr and this is currently what brings me most of my turnover although not very substantial, (this month $ 220)

To answer the rest of your questions, well it's not that simple, I have the impression of trying a lot of things, of doing a lot of things at the same time and of changing my mind often, but I know very well that knowing how to make a decision and stick to it is one of the keys to success, in Think and Get Rich Napoleon Hill said:

“Analysis of several hundred people who had accumulated fortunes well beyond the million dollar mark, disclosed the fact that every one of them had the habit of REACHING DECISIONS PROMPTLY, and of changing these decisions SLOWLY, if, and when they were changed. People who fail to accumulate money, without exception, have the habit of reaching decisions, IF AT ALL, very slowly, and of changing these decisions quickly and often. “

Sometimes I wonder if I should resume my book summaries on youtube, but as I'm a perfectionist I take a lot of time and sometimes I get discouraged, then I tell myself that I should focus on my voice-over services, or create an application, or maybe write a book
in one of the trainings to which I am registered, the objective is to make a living from his blog, it worked for others but I do not know why (well in fact I know) well I procrastinate and cannot manage to continue
then concerning my voice-over activity I had bought new equipment to offer better quality to my customers and thus dare to further increase my prices but I was missing an iPad (because with the new installation, the macbook pro makes a lot of noise with the fan)
and this week i learn that i won an ipad so i'm happy and waiting i tell myself that maybe it will be the start of something better
concerning the monetization of my blog I believe that the problem is emotional it is something that is very close to my heart to see people change their mentality for the better and to see them suffering with their difficulty and well I feel to the guilt of imagining extracting money from them, especially since I think i am not particularly competent to provide solutions,
So the next three actions to accomplish the task and well I don't know, well if I know but I'm not sure which way to go first

ps: I never dared to share my thoughts because I know that everything is not clear and I know what it can sound like as a remark (as I said I read a lot of book mainly on the mindset) but there I started because it was recommended to me and I admit that having opinions will allow me to clarify my ideas

Rim

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jan 27, 2020
France
Sounds like an excuse not to do anything
the kind of free remark that have no value :)

if I really didn't want to do anything I wouldn't be here, I repeat if I opened this thread it's because @Fox invited me but otherwise I would have stayed in my corner to fend for myself

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Hey @Rim

One good proven way to get going - pick a skill (web design, copywriting, seo etc) and get out there and start helping real businesses.

It’s not millions but it’s a good place to start.

Rim

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jan 27, 2020
France
Hey @Rim

One good proven way to get going - pick a skill (web design, copywriting, seo etc) and get out their and start helping real businesses.

Thanks Fox :)

i do that

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
@Rim time to grow up and accept some criticism.

EVERYONE, please realize this forum and this community are not about YOU. we are here to help each other. maybe you find no value in @maverick 's remark. what if others DO?

what if 5 years from now, someone comes along, reads down to that spot and realizes they ARE making a bunch of F*cking excuses and need to step it up? what if their life changes?

you don't have to take everything said to heart, use it, listen to it, defend against it. there are nuggets of advice and information that will help you. focus on the positive space!

first lesson ..... make it about providing value for others NOT yourself

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
@Rim i am really proud of you for posting your thoughts. the more we do that, the more we get them out of our head and begin to ACT on them. you got this!!

Rim

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jan 27, 2020
France
@Rim time to grow up and accept some criticism.

EVERYONE, please realize this forum and this community are not about YOU. we are here to help each other. maybe you find no value in @maverick 's remark. what if others DO?

what if 5 years from now, someone comes along, reads down to that spot and realizes they ARE making a bunch of f*cking excuses and need to step it up? what if their life changes?

you don't have to take everything said to heart, use it, listen to it, defend against it. there are nuggets of advice and information that will help you. focus on the positive space!

first lesson ..... make it about providing value for others NOT yourself
never take things personally (yet I read the 'Toltec agreements!), you are right about everything you said ZCP, thanks for this reminder,
please excuse me I'm only human after all and there are times when morale is not at the top and the slightest remark can irritate us,
I forgot that I was on a public forum and the main purpose is to help people and not me especially, so publicly I want to apologize to you @woken and @maverick I wish you the best

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
so back to it ....
@Rim what are your next three specific actions to achieve your goal?

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
so something like this?

1. identify what is my why?
2. use it to create the picture of 'my perfect day' (in INSANELY vivid detail and description) and figure out 'how much that costs?'
3. determine who can help me get 'that'

Rim

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jan 27, 2020
France
I see, I think about it in particular to find my why, (I read the book start with the why of Simon Sinek however)

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
1. Yes I understand that the mentor must want to be for me and that's the whole point of this thread :)

2. Regarding paying the mentor, does it depend on the type of mentorship you are looking for? In my mind I imagined that having a mentor was free, finally I took several training courses whose authors can be considered as mentors but I associated this much more with coaching, a coach I find it logical to pay him , a mentor too but how to put it, not necessarily, I imagine there are mentors who want to help just because they want to help like they were helped by their mentor at one time. An idea occurs to me, Robert Kiyosaki, had a rich father as a mentor and yet he did not pay it.

Finally, I am not paying attention to your last remark because it does not bring me any help except to make me more discouraged, it is a judgment on your part, an opinion which was expressed without knowing neither my skills, nor what I have already achieved or anything else in my life.
It reminds me of a sentence from Napoleon Hill: free advice is only worth what it is worth, that is to say nothing :)

Anyway, thank you for taking your time to answer me and help me because I'm sure it was your intention by answering me. I wish you the best, nice day
Rim,

whenever I’m replying to a post like yours, while it is specific to the question mentioned, I try to answer it without a ‘somebody’ in mind.

When I say “If you need help turning $1 into $2 then you’ll have a hard time finding 1, and a lot of number 2s.” It applies to everyone and it’s also true.

It’s hard to find somebody that is willing to invest his/ her free time into mentoring you without any personal gain. Hard, not impossible. You’ll definitely find more people willing to mentor you for money.
You mentioned Rich Dad. It’s not entirely sure there was actually a “rich dad” but rather a made up character that combines great influences throughout his life.

Coming back to the Napoleon Hill quote,
it’s also true, but you asked for it.

I might’ve expressed myself wrong, without any background of your situation, true.

Go back and re read what I’ve said and this time think of somebody else.

Edit: Went and read again everything else myself. You don’t really need a mentor.

You just need to do more of what you do already.

Have you thought about a podcast?
(again, free advice so take it for what it’s worth.)

I speak English fluently but I have an accent. If I didn’t, I’d do youtube voiceovers for anybody that would accept me. I’d focus on getting myself known and then start something of my own.

Last edited:

Rim

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jan 27, 2020
France
Rim,

whenever I’m replying to a post like yours, while it is specific to the question mentioned, I try to answer it without a ‘somebody’ in mind.

When I say “If you need help turning $1 into $2 then you’ll have a hard time finding 1, and a lot of number 2s.” It applies to everyone and it’s also true.

It’s hard to find somebody that is willing to invest his/ her free time into mentoring you without any personal gain. Hard, not impossible. You’ll definitely find more people willing to mentor you for money.
You mentioned Rich Dad. It’s not entirely sure there was actually a “rich dad” but rather a made up character that combines great influences throughout his life.

Coming back to the Napoleon Hill quote,
it’s also true, but you asked for it.

I might’ve expressed myself wrong, without any background of your situation, true.

Go back and re read what I’ve said and this time think of somebody else.

Edit: Went and read again everything else myself. You don’t really need a mentor.

You just need to do more of what you do already.

Have you thought about a podcast?
(again, free advice so take it for what it’s worth.)

I speak English fluently but I have an accent. If I didn’t, I’d do youtube voiceovers for anybody that would accept me. I’d focus on getting myself known and then start something of my own.
thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts, I got the message now.
Yes I understand for the benefit of the mentor, to tell the truth I say that maybe it depends on the time he invests?
You know, some time ago, I have someone who contacted me to be his mentor in a discipline, to be honest I was very surprised and I wondered how I could be a mentor but hey I could not refuse and I accepted graciously, I find it impossible to make this person pay just because I share my experience with him through 2 emails per month.
For the podcast yes I have one but it's been a year since I published although people seem to appreciate and ask for more, sometimes I have the impression that deep down I'm afraid of succeeding, finally, to be "known" I like to act discreetly and anonymously, hence the fact that to do voice-over
Thank you for your free advice, sorry if I upset you, likewise don't take it personally, there is a quote from Ghandi which says " who is not at peace with himself will be at war against everyone" so I think right now I'm not at peace with myself
You sometimes know how to have an accent and well it is sought after in voice-over why not give it a try if you wish?
At first for me it started as a joke, in fact it was when I understood the principle of passive and active, I saw my phone, then I said to myself it's a liability, how to turn it into an asset, then I thought about it, there is a microphone, I can record my voice, I started to offer to do vocals, without knowing absolutely anything then I had a first sale! I accepted because I remembered the quote from Richard Branson "If somebody offers you an amazing opportunity but you are not sure you can do it, say yes – then learn how to do it later!
"
To make voices on youtube that is to say? For example, I thought about reading copyright free books but I don't know if it's a good idea, because it takes time

Vasili27

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jun 2, 2021
Philadelphia Pa
Hey @Rim

One good proven way to get going - pick a skill (web design, copywriting, seo etc) and get out their and start helping real businesses.

@Fox im currently 18 and always wanted to be an entreupenur especially in ecommerce and create a brand online, but I see that web design is very popular here on this forum and was wondering if its worth getting into that first? and maybe learn a thing or 2 that can help me later on.

KushShah9492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jan 2, 2021
India
@Fox im currently 18 and always wanted to be an entreupenur especially in ecommerce and create a brand online, but I see that web design is very popular here on this forum and was wondering if its worth getting into that first? and maybe learn a thing or 2 that can help me later on.
Don’t go for popular. Go for ‘how you can help someone’ .

Vasili27

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jun 2, 2021
Philadelphia Pa
Don’t go for popular. Go for ‘how you can help someone’ .
appreciate the help

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
So here, under the recommendations of @Fox whom I thank very much, I open this topic and I take action. Like everyone here, my dearest wish is to be financially free, I read books, followed training, some that I have not finished, but in the end I still do not live on what I earn, so I say to myself: could having a mentor help me?
I've had some great mentors. And I've done the same for many others. Mentors are not helpers. They give advice and guidance. It's NOT a hands-on relationship in my experience. You do the work and they simple add their expertise along the journey. As you do the work, you will follow the learning curve and gain your own expertise.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.