The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Near-infrared Radiation - Light Therapy - Long Covid

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
The Youtube Algorithm finally did some good today, shocker.

I came across an interesting video on Long Haul Covid and what might be causing some of the initial problems and also some long-term problems.

The Youtube personality(MD) reviewed a research study that suggested that Mitochondrial Dysfunction and Impaired Fatty Acid Metabolism in Plasma may be contributing to symptoms in those with Long Haul Covid symptoms.

Youtube Video

It suggests also that those who had previous metabolic dysfunction prior to Covid may be more susceptible to more severe cases of Covid.

This same Youtube personality had a separate video on light therapy where he speaks more in-depth on the importance of light and darkness and how it affects our bodies. Part of the video also speaks to this mitochondrial dysfunction and how light(sun) can solve the problems of this dysfunction via Near-Infrared Radiation(NIR). Long story short, NIR can help the mitochondria produce melatonin which helps reduce free radicals.

Other Youtube Video

I found the topic fascinating as I have been dealing with Long-Haul Covid symptoms for about 10 months now. I thought I would try and make some changes based on these two videos. I found out that you can buy NIR lights as well, which may make it easier to get more of the spectrum of light I would want, especially since it is soon to be winter where I live, which is New England.

Thought I would share this, and if anyone has thoughts, I'd be glad to hear them. Also, I am not claiming this to be true or for it to work, but it does seem like an interesting theory. The video is also relevant for others who don't have long-haul covid.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
Apr 16, 2019
Too much internet has fried peoples brains. Do you really need mitochondria studies to confirm that the sun is good?

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Too much internet has fried peoples brains. Do you really need mitochondria studies to confirm that the sun is good?
This thread is not about "is the sun good?" The topic is about certain spectrums of light, mainly infrared, and what forms of light can be benificial to those with Long Haul Covid.

Also, it is not particularly obvious that more sun equals decreased side effect from long covid... or was that obvious to you?

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
541%
Apr 17, 2022
Since I got covid in 2021 I've partially lost my sense of smell and probably lost some IQ points - my cognition is not quite like it used to be in the past and I sometimes have low levels of brain fog.

Nothing to complain over here. Thank God it's only this - it could have been way worst.

But I'm looking forward to getting back in my prime, and for this I'm going to start a health recovering protocol which will include deep ketosis, fasting, endurance training, saunas, ice baths and light therapy.

One weird think I really miss... is the smell of rain.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
Apr 16, 2019
This thread is not about "is the sun good?" The topic is about certain spectrums of light, mainly infrared, and what forms of light can be benificial to those with Long Haul Covid.

Also, it is not particularly obvious that more sun equals decreased side effect from long covid... or was that obvious to you?

The vitamin D link became obvious early on - clearly people that were sun deprived were in trouble.

I just sometimes struggle with how “experts” over complicate such an obvious thing as sunlight. Like yes, go outside it’s incredibly beneficial to you don’t wait for infrared studies to confirm something so obvious.

Sorry I was irritable and took my frustration out on your post.

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
No worries @AceVentures

The vitamin D link became obvious early on - clearly people that were sun deprived were in trouble.

I just sometimes struggle with how “experts” over complicate such an obvious thing as sunlight. Like yes, go outside it’s incredibly beneficial to you don’t wait for infrared studies to confirm something so obvious.

I agree, we already know enough about Vitamin D. Sun in general is great for the body and a large population probably don't get enough.

The second video speaks a lot about light and how it can mess up ones sarcadian rhythm which can lead to more serious health problems rather than just poor sleep. How the position of artificial light at night can make a big difference. For instance ceiling lights mimics like the sun and therefore stops the production of melatonin from being secreted. However, low lights that are below eye level are better. Our body treats this more like a campfire, not halting our meletonin production.

Since I got covid in 2021 I've partially lost my sense of smell and probably lost some IQ points - my cognition is not quite like it used to be in the past and I sometimes have low levels of brain fog.

Nothing to complain over here. Thank God it's only this - it could have been way worst.

But I'm looking forward to getting back in my prime, and for this I'm going to start a health recovering protocol which will include deep ketosis, fasting, endurance training, saunas, ice baths and light therapy.

One weird think I really miss... is the smell of rain.
I've just started to try different techinques. Have you found anything specific that seems to help? I had a friend who had no smell after Covid for like two years. Just randomly, it started to come back. Here is to hoping!

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
541%
Apr 17, 2022
I've just started to try different techinques. Have you found anything specific that seems to help? I had a friend who had no smell after Covid for like two years. Just randomly, it started to come back. Here is to hoping!
I haven't implemented a strict regimen yet, but my best bet would be inducing autophagy through extended fasting and exercising.

Autophagy is the only way to regenerate the body from what is sometimes considered to be irreversible damage.

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
I haven't implemented a strict regimen yet, but my best bet would be inducing autophagy through extended fasting and exercising.

Autophagy is the only way to regenerate the body from what is sometimes considered to be irreversible damage.
Damn. That sounds cool as hell. Just started doing some reading. Might be worth a try, but I gotta prep myself if Im gonna do a 24, 48, or 72 hour fast.

The human body is wicked cool.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
541%
Apr 17, 2022
Damn. That sounds cool as hell. Just started doing some reading. Might be worth a try, but I gotta prep myself if Im gonna do a 24, 48, or 72 hour fast.
Fasting is a very powerful tool, but is dangerous and can be life threatening if you don't do it properly or if you break the fast the wrong way. There should also be an adaptation period of a few months before attempting prolonged fasting. I would suggest doing a ton of research and/or getting medical supervision.

The human body is wicked cool.
The human species is still alive for a reason.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Apr 24, 2016
A lot of modern-day diseases are linked to mitochondrial dysfunction. Cancer, diabetes, Crohn's disease, and many other autoimmune disorders.

Coincidentally, there's a story about a guy who had both lymphoma and leukemia, was told he was going to die, opted out of traditional treatment, and ended up swimming the Willamette River (187 miles/301 kilometers) in 21 days, 8-10 hours per day, with both cancers active. The water's temperature was 40f/4c i.e. your fridge's temperature.

After he did that (and after a few days of resting), he went for a checkup. One of his cancers was in remission as if he never had it. The other was still going strong, but that didn't discourage him. He kept swimming in ice-cold rivers practically every day and releasing - in his words - pent-up emotions and trauma. Eventually, his cancer went into complete remission - and has stayed that way for the past 8 years. Cancer that he was told was terminal by the best oncologists in his state.

He has since swum the River Shannon in Ireland and is going strong at 62-63 years old!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGuFORrs8xw

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1DKBDBtI6I

Your thread is about long-haul covid @Mikkel and I didn't mean to hijack it. But since chronic exposure to cold (and especially when taking ICE COLD showers) is known to increase the mitochondria in the body, it might be worth incorporating into your routine.

"Cold water can help support mitochondrial biogenesis, which effectively helps our mitochondria stay healthy and efficient."

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Your thread is about long-haul covid @Mikkel and I didn't mean to hijack it. But since chronic exposure to cold (and especially when taking ICE COLD showers) is known to increase the mitochondria in the body, it might be worth incorporating into your routine.
This is an awesome post! What you and @heavy_industry posted about is the exact type of information that I hoped would be shared. It is hard to learn what you don't know, but sharing information and ideas like this certainly help.

I just finished reading the research paper, it seems like both exercise and cold immersion have good benefits including mitochondrial biogenesis, but the combination of the two seems to be significantly more effective. Luckily I live in New Hampshire, finding the cold won't be so hard to do over the next few months. I don't think I have the stones to swim in the ocean like a polar plunge but maybe I can do some brainstorming.

My family uses a wood stove to heat our house during the winter, moving large amounts of wood in the winter is a must. That could be one activity that can be implemented that involves both the cold and exercise.

Thank you for the post @Simon Angel

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Fasting is a very powerful tool, but is dangerous and can be life threatening if you don't do it properly or if you break the fast the wrong way. There should also be an adaptation period of a few months before attempting prolonged fasting. I would suggest doing a ton of research and/or getting medical supervision.
I wouldn't jump into a 72-hour fast without doing a lot of research and preparation beforehand. I used to wrestle, where I would fast for 24-36 hours before weigh-ins. Except we didn't call it fasting... we just called it "losing weight." It is quite tough on the body initially, but I always felt great after I broke my fast, and I was also in the best shape of my life, though that probably had more to do with the fact I was wrestling 7 days a week.

I found a guy names Dr. Sten Ekberg on youtube who has some really solid information on the topic.

I'm busy with very little extra time, but health is important, so I'll be making some time to read and listen to his information and others as well.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Apr 24, 2016
This is an awesome post! What you and @heavy_industry posted about is the exact type of information that I hoped would be shared. It is hard to learn what you don't know, but sharing information and ideas like this certainly help.

I just finished reading the research paper, it seems like both exercise and cold immersion have good benefits including mitochondrial biogenesis, but the combination of the two seems to be significantly more effective. Luckily I live in New Hampshire, finding the cold won't be so hard to do over the next few months. I don't think I have the stones to swim in the ocean like a polar plunge but maybe I can do some brainstorming.

My family uses a wood stove to heat our house during the winter, moving large amounts of wood in the winter is a must. That could be one activity that can be implemented that involves both the cold and exercise.

Thank you for the post @Simon Angel

Glad we got you fired up! For the chopping/carrying wood part, perhaps if you're naked it will work because you need your skin to be in direct contact with something cold e.g. the snow. I'm serious.

I assume you haven't done cold showers?

While they're quite intimidating at first, trust me when I say you get used to them quickly. The first 10 seconds suck and you feel panicked and vulnerable, but the brown fat builds up quickly (the same fat that's rich in mitochindria!) and it becomes much, much easier with time while still allowing you to retain the benefits.

There have also been studies showing that showering/immersing yourself for 1-2 minutes in very cold water can also increase your dopamine to like 200-300% above baseline for 4-6 hours or thereabouts. Not only does it feel euphoric/put you in a good mood, it's also one of the ways they help with inflammation as dopamine does help with that.

Lastly, I can confirm that cold showers increased my Lymphocyte count into a healthy range (I was always borderline or straight up low) and lowered my eosinophils and basophils, which are related to allergic reactions. I haven't take a single drop of antihistamines this year and I usually have severe congestion, coughing, sneezing, and itchy eyes and nose from pollen and ragweed. I used to never smell flowers and avoided walking into flower shops, but now I don't even think about it.

To me, this is proof that cold showers help modulate the immune system. Hell, they even lower my heartrate which lasts throughout the day (I'm prone to anxiety and have some dysautonomia going on). Likely because of their impact on the Vagus nerve.

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Glad we got you fired up! For the chopping/carrying wood part, perhaps if you're naked it will work because you need your skin to be in direct contact with something cold e.g. the snow. I'm serious.
I'm not that fired up :happy: Seems like asymmetrical risk for catching a charge, I got neighbors!

I have done hot to cold(Sauna to cold shower) before, that shit is invigorating!

I wonder if I would get the full effects if I don't pair cold immersion with exercise. Maybe I could at least start with cold showers, so I can begin to tolerate the cold better. Then it will not be quite a shock to my body when I develop the tolerance to swim in the cold. I actually have the perfect beach about 20 minutes from where I live to do a swim like this if I ever developed the tolerance. A small inlet that works like a lap pool, but in the ocean, and would be quite cold!

There have also been studies showing that showering/immersing yourself for 1-2 minutes in very cold water can also increase your dopamine to like 200-300% above baseline for 4-6 hours or thereabouts.
Is this where people fill tubs of water and ice? Should be easy to do that, even in an apartment. Just need to go to the store and buy some bags of ice.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Apr 24, 2016
I'm not that fired up :happy: Seems like asymmetrical risk for catching a charge, I got neighbors!

I have done hot to cold(Sauna to cold shower) before, that shit is invigorating!

I wonder if I would get the full effects if I don't pair cold immersion with exercise. Maybe I could at least start with cold showers, so I can begin to tolerate the cold better. Then it will not be quite a shock to my body when I develop the tolerance to swim in the cold. I actually have the perfect beach about 20 minutes from where I live to do a swim like this if I ever developed the tolerance. A small inlet that works like a lap pool, but in the ocean, and would be quite cold!

Is this where people fill tubs of water and ice? Should be easy to do that, even in an apartment. Just need to go to the store and buy some bags of ice.

Both methods work.

Cold showers = continuous stream of cold water that never has you feeling comfortable. Very effective, even if only for a minute or two per day.

Cold water immersion i.e. in a tub, pool, whatever = also shocking at first, but overall easier because your body heat creates a circle of warmer water around you. I'd do at least 10 minutes in this, I think.

No matter which method you choose, just stick with it. And when your brain is trying to trick you by making up reasons for you to NOT take a cold shower (e.g. I didn't get enough sleep/it's too cold today/perhaps I shouldn't take them in the winter), just brush it off and turn on the knob to as cold as it can go.

P.S. For cold water immersion, a lot of people have very fancy setups, but you can just buy a garbage bin and fill it with ice (or water and leave it out overnight during the winter.)

znl08lmpi8x11.jpg

BigRomeDawg

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Jan 22, 2014
Canada/USA
The Youtube Algorithm finally did some good today, shocker.

I came across an interesting video on Long Haul Covid and what might be causing some of the initial problems and also some long-term problems.

The Youtube personality(MD) reviewed a research study that suggested that Mitochondrial Dysfunction and Impaired Fatty Acid Metabolism in Plasma may be contributing to symptoms in those with Long Haul Covid symptoms.

Youtube Video

It suggests also that those who had previous metabolic dysfunction prior to Covid may be more susceptible to more severe cases of Covid.

This same Youtube personality had a separate video on light therapy where he speaks more in-depth on the importance of light and darkness and how it affects our bodies. Part of the video also speaks to this mitochondrial dysfunction and how light(sun) can solve the problems of this dysfunction via Near-Infrared Radiation(NIR). Long story short, NIR can help the mitochondria produce melatonin which helps reduce free radicals.

Other Youtube Video

I found the topic fascinating as I have been dealing with Long-Haul Covid symptoms for about 10 months now. I thought I would try and make some changes based on these two videos. I found out that you can buy NIR lights as well, which may make it easier to get more of the spectrum of light I would want, especially since it is soon to be winter where I live, which is New England.

Thought I would share this, and if anyone has thoughts, I'd be glad to hear them. Also, I am not claiming this to be true or for it to work, but it does seem like an interesting theory. The video is also relevant for others who don't have long-haul covid.
Hey Mikkel,

This is a friend of mine who has a channel about infrared saunas. I think it might be a great resource for you. He has a few videos about near-infrared and recommending near-infrared products.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybapgKx7YAQ

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
A lot of modern-day diseases are linked to mitochondrial dysfunction. Cancer, diabetes, Crohn's disease, and many other autoimmune disorders.

Coincidentally, there's a story about a guy who had both lymphoma and leukemia, was told he was going to die, opted out of traditional treatment, and ended up swimming the Willamette River (187 miles/301 kilometers) in 21 days, 8-10 hours per day, with both cancers active. The water's temperature was 40f/4c i.e. your fridge's temperature.

After he did that (and after a few days of resting), he went for a checkup. One of his cancers was in remission as if he never had it. The other was still going strong, but that didn't discourage him. He kept swimming in ice-cold rivers practically every day and releasing - in his words - pent-up emotions and trauma. Eventually, his cancer went into complete remission - and has stayed that way for the past 8 years. Cancer that he was told was terminal by the best oncologists in his state.

He has since swum the River Shannon in Ireland and is going strong at 62-63 years old!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGuFORrs8xw

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1DKBDBtI6I

"Cold water can help support mitochondrial biogenesis, which effectively helps our mitochondria stay healthy and efficient."

Well I've been meaning to make an ice bath thread since buying mine but I've been too lazy so I'll continue the thread hijack

If anyone is interested in ice baths you can build one for well under $1000

Just get a 310-360L chest freezer

I got a Haier 310L for around AU$650

And one of these INKBIRD Intelligent Digital Temperature Controller Thermostat Switch Waterproof | eBay

And some type of sealant to seal the seams inside. I used 150ml tube of Sika marine 291 for the inside and a tube of regular cheap waterproof silicon for the edge around the top as it doesn't get wet and needed more silicon.

Make sure you unplug it every time before you get in just incase

There's plenty of guides online, you can just google for them.

The people in those guides go all out with filters etc, but this was what I did and it's been fine, there's gyms here that have them and they don't have filters or anything and it's fine even with heaps of people using them.

And some said they spent 6 hours and used like 20 tubes of silicon, no idea how, I bought 3 tubes after reading that and I only used half a tube in the end.

I do 3x 3 minute sessions a day with 3 minutes gap between them

You can do Wim Hoff's breathing before it, I haven't been doing it but it does make it much easier and his breathing is so good for you, just search his guided Youtube video

The key to surviving the ice bath is to control and slow your breath down, just focus on deep slow breathes

Between sets you can do tai chi or just move around like an idiot to get warm

I do them in the morning and moving in the morning sun between sets is a nice way to start the day

Part of the benefit is retraining and opening up your vasular system, so try to let your body warm up naturally afterwards

Humans today put the aircon on if it's slightly too hot and the heater and more clothes on when it's slightly too cold so our vascular system never gets used like it should to thermoregulate

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.