The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My story... plus I need some advice and motivation

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

brianm4289

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Mar 1, 2010
alright, this post is going to be pretty long. I just started a new job today and feel like I have degressed in life and now feel like I need to start my entrepreneur adventures more than ever and need any type of ideas and/or suggestions... but first let me tell you what is going on in my life so you can pretend to be in my shoes.

I just turned 24 years old this past Saturday and up until today worked for the same guy for 8 years. His business hasn't been doing too well lately so he was forced to let me go and now I am doing car detailing for a very minimal amount of pay ($4 an hour pay cut from previous job) and as I started to work today I just felt almost a sense of anger that I am wasting my time detailing cars that I should be driving. I am sitting there detailing a Taurus SHO, Shelby Cobra Mustang, etc. and just thinking "why am I sitting here for peanuts detailing some rich dudes car that I want to own one day but will never be able to doing this crap"

I hate to sound ungrateful because I am very thankful to have a job but I seriously feel I have so much more to offer and accomplish than to work for such a low hourly wage. I am planning on getting married in 2012 and my fiance is going to school to be a nurse because its something shes always wanted to do, but me I just feel so confused on what to do financially. I am going to school to become an ASE cert. mechanic which would be lucky to make $50,000 a year. I love cars and that is the only thing that motivated me to go to school but I want to OWN these cars, not clean and work on them.

When I first signed up for school I hardly knew anything about entrepreneurship and how much more room there is to succeed and the more I am around other peoples cars working on them and cleaning them it just makes me not want to be a mechanic that much more and just drive the cars. The more I go through life and see ways to make money though it makes me realize that working for somebody to make them the real money is just dumb.

I have tried little entrepreneur adventures like an e-commerce site with dropshipping (long story but that site never launched), ebay sales, etc. but haven't made any real money. I am sorry guys for making this such a long post but today just really had me feeling like I need to talk to somebody more than ever and nobody around me thinks like me and just constantly say "oh the job you have is a good one, blah blah blah" no its not a good job, its consuming precious time that I could be using to make a real living. I had another offer from a friend to start working under him for an insurance company basically running my own business setting my own hours and trying to sell insurance policies and stuff but I dont know how good I would be at that.

I am basically just venting a little bit and asking anybody who has sat there and read this whole post to give me their input and advice... I cannot think of a good business to start with minimal start up costs (roughly $3-4k) that would be profitable. I just feel like with this job I have now I could literally flip a car every month and sell a few things on ebay and make the same amount of money and have all the free time to invest in important things like my family, friends, and coming up with a good business idea :huh2::huh2::huh2::huh2::huh2::huh2:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
From my perspective ...

1) Quit chasing money and start chasing a need/problem/challenge/issue. Chase needs and money will follow. Chase money and money avoids.

http://www.thefastlanetomillions.co...-have-successful-entrepreneurial-premise.html

2) "Trying" something is not considered an effort. When you "try" something, one try does not constitute a total failure -- the failure arises when you give up and not give it a decent effort. Business polygamy usually results when you are chasing money, not needs.

3) You can be "Fastlane" while working dead-end jobs so don't get discouraged about the jobs ... use your detailing job with nice cars as your fuel for motivation. When I was younger, I would have loved to clean/wash a Corvette cause it would motivate me!!

4) Quit looking "for a good business to start" and start looking for a problem. Do that, and your will solve your own problem.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
someone once told me "you make a living from 9-5, you make a life after 5". basiccally, the point, like MJ said, was use the job as your motivation to find another way. trust me, there are other ways. but you can't ask someone on here to hand you an idea. we can't solve your problems. you can learn from many of the brilliant entrepreneurs on here, but you will need to create your own path because we don't knkow you goals and dreams. I suggest open your eyes, find something that really annoys you. then find a way to fix the problem.

Phantom309

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Feb 23, 2010
Panama City,FL
Brian, I read your post and to be honest it kind of reminded me of my current situation. I make decent money in current occupation, that carried over from my stint in the air force. In high school all I wanted to do was work on airplanes, here I am 14 years still working on airplanes and hate every minute of it. However, since finding this site and doing my own studies, I'm slowly building my plan and my course of action so that when my time comes I can tell my boss to take this job and shove it. Luckily I am in a situation where I don't have to rush, because of a personal comittment I made to my partner at work.

Like MJ, and Global said though take the things you dislike about your current situation, and turn them into positives. I wish there was an ideas page here that I could click on and select and develop and jump into my own fastlane but there's not. Instead I'm finding my own way, and letting my current job fuel my fire. If I need help with some direction I know I can ask here and get positive response. My advice to you would be to keep your head, and start studying in your free time at this site and different ones to make your own path to where you wanna be. Good Luck!

Cat Man Du

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 30, 2007
The FIRST thing I would do is.............MEET the owners of those cars...find out HOW they afforded them. :fastlane:

brianm4289

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Mar 1, 2010
Thanks guys. I was just super annoyed at the time I posted that and today was my second day on the job and it's not that bad I guess I am just wanting so much more financially. I will think of something one day and use what you guys said as a better perspective. I like that outlook of not chasing money but solving a need or problem and the money will follow

maximus20895

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Mar 16, 2009
Knoxville,TN
Thanks guys. I was just super annoyed at the time I posted that and today was my second day on the job and it's not that bad I guess I am just wanting so much more financially. I will think of something one day and use what you guys said as a better perspective. I like that outlook of not chasing money but solving a need or problem and the money will follow

One day? How about now? Do you know how many people say that and never do a damn thing. This forum is not about taking action in the future, it's about taking action NOW! It's people who say they will take action in the future who are still in the slow lane.

If you truly are sick of chasing money take action today.

brianm4289

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Mar 1, 2010
i didn't mean "one day" as if I am going to sit around and do nothing in the meantime.. what I meant by that was one day the right thought will happen but believe me I am pondering ideas every second of the day lol :thumbsup:

Bozigian

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Oct 13, 2010
Yeah man, today you are stressing out that you dont want to do the job. But tomorrow with your brain, hopefully those people who you polished their cars will be asking you what you do for a living. Probably starting a business while working at the same time sounds like a good idea. Save and invest that money wisely. Never let someone put you down because they are not the ones who will be rich like us oneday

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.