The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My neighbor's Bentley & 4 Ferraris (auction resource)

LagunaLauren

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
May 20, 2009
Laguna Beach, CA
My neighbor has a warehouse for his personal cars: 4 Ferraris, a Bentley, Hummer H1, etc. He buys a bunch of cars just for himself, just for fun. He's told me of ridiculous deals on Mclarens ($130K ?!!), bentleys, ferraris, etc. I saw him tonight at the country club and asked him where he gets his cars since I promised to share the info here in a previous thread:

He said he gets them from an auto auction called copart. (copart.com). (You guys may already be familiar with it, knowing more about cars than I do). He said some cars are damaged or need work; some are perfect as is. He said he is registered as a dealer. (He said you have to be a dealer or a body shop or a salvage guy or something; that it's not for general public (?)). Just wanted to share the info with all the exotic car lovers here. Maybe you can get your goal/dream cars for a lot less!..He does turn some of the cars around and sell them for a profit. Says he makes ~$30k per car and prob sells 10 a year. (He keeps trying to sell me his Ferrari F430. Red's not my color...)

FYI he just bought a 1990 Ferrari Testarosa with 10k miles for $30k for his collection.

Hope it helps!:fastlane:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I have a friend that does the same thing; he has a dealer's license although his primary business is totally different. The license allows him to buy wholesale and move through cars like dirty laundry. Thanks for sharing!

JayKim

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Sep 4, 2008
Colorado Springs
(He keeps trying to sell me his Ferrari F430. Red's not my color...)

Whats he want for the f430? Maybe you could make something off it?

I found a murci on there, it looks like minimal damage. Thanks for the site! :thankyousign:

Copart

brianm4289

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Mar 1, 2010
just checkout out the site and I am a little confused... I looked up the business address and it's called "Copart Salvage Auto Auction" but some say they have clean titles... thinking maybe they are repos?

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Thanks a lot for sharing.

coincidentally me and my brother were looking at this site as well...

I saw that Testarosa and salivated just by looking at the pics, but yeah, you do need the license. I think my brother wants to go for that type of deal.

Thanks again for coming back and sharing, and rep++ for delivering on your promise to find out for us. You rock.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
I looked too (love cars), and had a couple of surprises-- there was a Ferrari that said it had "chemical" damage or something, and was shot from the rear and rear 3/4-- until you got to the front right passenger side-- and EVERYTHING was gone-- like a huge shark had taken a bite out of the front of the car!

I'm guessing a body shop had partially disassembled it already, but it still was quite a shock after seeing a normal car for the first few photos and thinking "hmm . . . chemical . . . maybe it just needs new paint?" . . then loading the next image and seeing . . . :eek: !

-Russ H.

LagunaLauren

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
May 20, 2009
Laguna Beach, CA
I have a friend that does the same thing; he has a dealer's license although his primary business is totally different. The license allows him to buy wholesale and move through cars like dirty laundry. Thanks for sharing!

Yeah, he has a completely different business and mostly does this for fun to add to his personal collection. He'll sell some on the side and makes ~$250-300k extra annually, but mostly it's just to feed his personal exotic car fetish.

Whats he want for the f430? Maybe you could make something off it?
Copart

I haven't asked what he wants for the F430 but I'm happy to ask. I've been in it-it's red, beautiful, in perfect condition. I'm not looking to make anything off of it (thanks anyway) but I'll find out the info for ya if you're interested.

He also has a couple of Magnum PI-looking 80's red Ferraris. Don't know if he's looking to sell those, but I can ask if anyone's interested.

just checkout out the site and I am a little confused... I looked up the business address and it's called "Copart Salvage Auto Auction" but some say they have clean titles... thinking maybe they are repos?

I dunno how they get the cars; if they're repros or whatever. He did say some cars don't have clean title and you have to pay attention to that if your intention is to resell it. I guess that makes it limited to whom you can sell it to.

Thanks a lot for sharing.

coincidentally me and my brother were looking at this site as well...

I saw that Testarosa and salivated just by looking at the pics, but yeah, you do need the license. I think my brother wants to go for that type of deal.

Thanks again for coming back and sharing, and rep++ for delivering on your promise to find out for us. You rock.

He fixed up the Testarosa. The site said it had water damage when he bought it, but he cleaned and greased the engine, replaced the belts and cleaned/replaced the carpet. Said it didn't have any real or substantial water damage. He says it's like a new car now, with only 10k miles on it. He said he would sell it. I can ask him what he would want for it if you're interested. He usually doesn't mark them up that much, from my understanding. He really doesn't need the money and usually prices them really low to sell fast.

LagunaLauren

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
May 20, 2009
Laguna Beach, CA
Russ- OMG!! I can't believe that Ferrari! You were right-looks fabulous in the first pics-armoralled tires and everything. Shocked by the other pics! Looks like it got eaten by a semi! crazy!

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
I looked too (love cars), and had a couple of surprises-- there was a Ferrari that said it had "chemical" damage or something, and was shot from the rear and rear 3/4-- until you got to the front right passenger side-- and EVERYTHING was gone-- like a huge shark had taken a bite out of the front of the car!

I'm guessing a body shop had partially disassembled it already, but it still was quite a shock after seeing a normal car for the first few photos and thinking "hmm . . . chemical . . . maybe it just needs new paint?" . . then loading the next image and seeing . . . :eek: !

-Russ H.

25% off for a reason!

BigEasy25

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Jan 4, 2010
New Orleans, LA
Copart is where most of your insurance companies send vehicles after they have been totalled or flooded. I had a vehicle that was totalled and I asked if i could repurchase it and they said I would have to go through copart. Repos are also very common on there. I have a friend that is a licensed dealer and gets some great deals off of the site but everything is sold as is and you don't get a test ride. Can be pretty risky when you get into the high dollar vehicles.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
I never knew this site existed...this is awesome! I can buy a no-damage city bus for $600:D

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey
I found a murci on there, it looks like minimal damage.

Minimal Damage!!! :eek:

Jay that Murci is toast. :D The bumper alone costs around $20K without service. Who knows how the under part of the car looks like.

Plus both air bags deployed which means, new air bags installed, new steering wheel and leather work. Who knows what condition that suspension, clutch, and everything else is in.

I think if someone were to try to put this back into running condition they would need to put in another 30-40k and that is just the minimum.

I am actually working as an intern at my friend's exotic car dealership/service/storage. Some of these wholesale prices are just jaw dropping. I am learning a lot about the exotic car market and just doing business in general. :urock2:

NHS

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 16, 2010
I did everything backwards. I got the warehouse with the cool cars. I just didn't make myself rich first.

Seeing post like this is a reminder of what I really love and what I have to do to stay on track. Make money, create cashflow, then buy cars. :urock2:

JayKim

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Sep 4, 2008
Colorado Springs
Yikes!! yeah nvm....

Lucky! There are only 2 exotics at the dealership in my town. Beautiful works of art!!

Minimal Damage!!! :eek:

Jay that Murci is toast. :D The bumper alone costs around $20K without service. Who knows how the under part of the car looks like.

Plus both air bags deployed which means, new air bags installed, new steering wheel and leather work. Who knows what condition that suspension, clutch, and everything else is in.

I think if someone were to try to put this back into running condition they would need to put in another 30-40k and that is just the minimum.

I am actually working as an intern at my friend's exotic car dealership/service/storage. Some of these wholesale prices are just jaw dropping. I am learning a lot about the exotic car market and just doing business in general. :urock2:

DreamPursuit

Say a little, do a lot
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
May 18, 2010
South Carolina
Thanks for sharing Lauren. I am working toward getting myself to point where I can fuel my crazy car addiction.

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
That looks like a pretty good site. But since you are taking a chance it would have to be a very good deal, and I wouldn't buy a car I didn't know much about. Like a Ferrari, since I have no idea what fixing one up would cost.

But I saw a lot of good Mercedes deals on their.

Forbes

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jun 3, 2010

that's one crazy shark bitten ferrari. Something like from out of X-files

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.