The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My "Mentor" Steals The Idea I Asked His Feedback On... Need Critique On My Strategy.

Idea threads

PersianCub

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Feb 28, 2018
Atlanta
I'm in the childcare realm, and have been working on finding where I can bring the most value. Professional nanny agencies specifically.

This guy has been a "virtual" mentor for a few years to me now. We know lots of the same people in this niche, and we're both pretty well known.

2 weeks earlier, I pitched him a digital marketing idea. He liked it, but the price point was too high once I started approaching nanny agencies.

I asked them what they hated. They kept telling me, "Calling references"
I came up with the idea of a reference checking agency since we don't have one in the market, and they were practically jumping at the idea of not having to do them anymore.

I messaged him, sent him $5 and said "a coffee for your time" and asked him to check out the website when he got a minute.
He said "Looks good to me!"

A week later, he sends me this text.

"Afternoon, I wanted to tell you something. I would love to be a sounding board for your agency marketing ideas and helping with jobs and websites etc. because it's great! The reference checking biz is great too but I'm not the best person to ask because I've been developing this too for the past 6 months and wouldn't want you to think I'm stealing your ideas and trade secrets etc. I'm telling you now rather than in the future so you dont confide things in me pertaining to this specific idea because I have very similar goals!"

I bought it completely. I never thought someone who I trusted as a mentor of sorts would pull this bs.
I responded and basically just said "That's very admirable of you telling me.. I appreciate it. Well I guess it's war lol! I'm sure there's plenty of space for both of us." and that was that.

I think the whole thing just sounds extremely off now that I read it.
He would have told me this right when I sent him my website if he was actually being genuine, not a week later.

But once I asked people about their feedback, it became obvious he is trying to get me out of the way. He knows I'm a beast and will dominate him if we go head to head.
People who I talked to mentioned that he was a slimy dude and they weren't surprised at all.

Game Plan:

So here's where I'm at. I hired an awesome first rep to start doing reference calls. We have a couple beta agencies that we are offering a discounted rate for a month or two. I am going to move with speed and all my energy, and I have no doubt I will annihilate him as far as the service goes.

1.) Keep playing dumb. Contact him in a week and be like "man, these agencies don't want to pay more than a pack of gum per reference call!! :rofl:"

(A few days later) : "Yeah man I'm thinking of just sticking with doing digital marketing and trying to sell a cheaper product. What do you think?"

-Over the next few weeks, I'll keep getting sporadic advice and send him my website for this "business" so he knows that I'm not doing it anymore.

-Once our beta testing phase is over (we don't need a wesbsite live or anything) then we will go full force and start taking over the market very quickly. He won't know what hit him, and I'll be able to dominate.

My only dilemma, is that he knows a lot of agency owners. I only know maybe 10.
He has his own agency, and has a large network of other people who own them as well. He goes to all the conferences, and people know him more face to face for sure. I have a strong following but it's largely social media based. Also, I obviously don't own a nanny agency.

Last thing: He's not exactly some beast. He's owned his agency for 7 years, and I think it is doing "OK". But obviously not good enough, considering he's trying to do something else.
He is around 30-32 years old, and definitely does not have even 1/8 of my drive.

I'd love your feedback on this strategy, and what the best way to approach it for long term success.

I know that this isn't the most "clean" way of doing it. But he played me like a fool, and I want to crush him now.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

alord

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jun 8, 2019
I think it makes total sense your strategy. Play it dumb. Do as the godfather says, "keep your friends close and your enemies closer", there's no need on letting him know your moves.

JunkBoxJoey_JBJ

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jul 9, 2018
I'm in the childcare realm, and have been working on finding where I can bring the most value. Professional nanny agencies specifically.

This guy has been a "virtual" mentor for a few years to me now. We know lots of the same people in this niche, and we're both pretty well known.

2 weeks earlier, I pitched him a digital marketing idea. He liked it, but the price point was too high once I started approaching nanny agencies.

I came up with the idea of a reference checking agency since we don't have one in the market, and they were practically jumping at the idea of not having to do them anymore.

I messaged him, sent him $5 and said "a coffee for your time" and asked him to check out the website when he got a minute.

"Afternoon, I wanted to tell you something. I would love to be a sounding board for your agency marketing ideas and helping with jobs and websites etc. because it's great! The reference checking biz is great too but I'm not the best person to ask because I've been developing this too for the past 6 months and wouldn't want you to think I'm stealing your ideas and trade secrets etc. I'm telling you now rather than in the future so you dont confide things in me pertaining to this specific idea because I have very similar goals!"

I bought it completely. I never thought someone who I trusted as a mentor of sorts would pull this bs.
I responded and basically just said "That's very admirable of you telling me.. I appreciate it. Well I guess it's war lol! I'm sure there's plenty of space for both of us." and that was that.

He would have told me this right when I sent him my website if he was actually being genuine, not a week later.

But once I asked people about their feedback, it became obvious he is trying to get me out of the way. He knows I'm a beast and will dominate him if we go head to head.
People who I talked to mentioned that he was a slimy dude and they weren't surprised at all.

Game Plan:

So here's where I'm at. I hired an awesome first rep to start doing reference calls. We have a couple beta agencies that we are offering a discounted rate for a month or two. I am going to move with speed and all my energy, and I have no doubt I will annihilate him as far as the service goes.

1.) Keep playing dumb. Contact him in a week and be like "man, these agencies don't want to pay more than a pack of gum per reference call!! :rofl:"

(A few days later) : "Yeah man I'm thinking of just sticking with doing digital marketing and trying to sell a cheaper product. What do you think?"

-Over the next few weeks, I'll keep getting sporadic advice and send him my website for this "business" so he knows that I'm not doing it anymore.

-Once our beta testing phase is over (we don't need a wesbsite live or anything) then we will go full force and start taking over the market very quickly. He won't know what hit him, and I'll be able to dominate.

He has his own agency, and has a large network of other people who own them as well. He goes to all the conferences, and people know him more face to face for sure. I have a strong following but it's largely social media based. Also, I obviously don't own a nanny agency.

Last thing: He's not exactly some beast. He's owned his agency for 7 years, and I think it is doing "OK". But obviously not good enough, considering he's trying to do something else.
He is around 30-32 years old, and definitely does not have even 1/8 of my drive.

I'd love your feedback on this strategy, and what the best way to approach it for long term success.

I know that this isn't the most "clean" way of doing it. But he played me like a fool, and I want to crush him now.

That’s a crazy story! Hope to see this as or another as your “progress thread”.

I might think about not spending one single ounce of energy into crushing him.

I would think about taking your work ethics, brains and marketing/skills to every customer you can with the true intention of adding value.

Naturally without paying attention and doing the right thing...”crush happens”.

PersianCub

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Feb 28, 2018
Atlanta
That’s a crazy story! Hope to see this as or another as your “progress thread”.

I might think about not spending one single ounce of energy into crushing him.

I would think about taking your work ethics, brains and marketing/skills to every customer you can with the true intention of adding value.

Naturally without paying attention and doing the right thing...”crush happens”.
A fair point for sure.
I’m gonna plant some seeds and really throw him off. But besides that, focusing purely on the biz.

kkoasdfawfqwe2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Feb 17, 2017
Europe
Shits happens man, but see it this way:

Lets assume you started your business without telling nobody.

Your product becomes valuable and you pick up clients and starts to get a grip of the market.

Now everybody in the industry, owners of companies in the agency will start to notice you.

If they desire and feel they can beat you, they would try anyways.

Sure they would be delayed a bit, but it does not matter in the big picture!

So its nice to read that you are not discouraged or anything, as I still think it wasn't a wrong choice of yours to tell him about the idea, even if he did this.

You mentioned that he knows more agency owners and while that can be a benefit, do keep this in mind:
- Money talks and bullshit F*cking doesn't matter at all!

In other words, if you provide a better service and the market expresses that, the agency owners wont give a shit that they know him, they will want your service as you would earn them more money.

I figured this out when I was skeptical of going head to head with a guy I worked for, because he knew almost everybody in the little industry that it was. I just figured out that as soon as I started to pay big bills for the clients then they couldn't care less that they knew him - and I think it will be the same in your case.

Good luck and please keep us updated on this thread!

Exciting angle and good job finding a huge need in the market; I'm wishing you the best of ability to fill the market need.

PersianCub

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Feb 28, 2018
Atlanta
Shits happens man, but see it this way:

Lets assume you started your business without telling nobody.

Your product becomes valuable and you pick up clients and starts to get a grip of the market.

Now everybody in the industry, owners of companies in the agency will start to notice you.

If they desire and feel they can beat you, they would try anyways.

Sure they would be delayed a bit, but it does not matter in the big picture!

So its nice to read that you are not discouraged or anything, as I still think it wasn't a wrong choice of yours to tell him about the idea, even if he did this.

You mentioned that he knows more agency owners and while that can be a benefit, do keep this in mind:
- Money talks and bullshit F*cking doesn't matter at all!

In other words, if you provide a better service and the market expresses that, the agency owners wont give a shit that they know him, they will want your service as you would earn them more money.

I figured this out when I was skeptical of going head to head with a guy I worked for, because he knew almost everybody in the little industry that it was. I just figured out that as soon as I started to pay big bills for the clients then they couldn't care less that they knew him - and I think it will be the same in your case.

Good luck and please keep us updated on this thread!

Exciting angle and good job finding a huge need in the market; I'm wishing you the best of ability to fill the market need.

Damn yeah that really puts it into perspective. I think I just got caught up in emotions but you are right, I will provide a more valuable product and even the agencies he knows will still use my service.

My idea extends past this small niche, and I'm really just using it as a launch pad into larger arenas. I'll make a post detailing the foundation of it soon.

I appreciate the insight @cy-

PersianCub

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Feb 28, 2018
Atlanta
If you're both literally one week into the idea, it doesn't mean anything. Ideas are shit. Execution is key.
Truth. Already have my first agent to do the checks, a tech friend helping the back end stuff, and 2 test clients ready to start this week.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Wow, what a shitty mentor. Hope you crush him. And let karma do the rest...

PersianCub

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Feb 28, 2018
Atlanta

Bertram

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 25, 2015
Virginia

Game Plan:

You can protect your business idea because it is considered a product under a category of US patenting called business methods. You need to connect the concept to a software idea, like app for notification, etc. but software need not be innovative. File a provisional patent ASAP. It can be a low as $800 if you use a patent clerk instead of an attorney.

PersianCub

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Feb 28, 2018
Atlanta
You can protect your business idea because it is considered a product under a category of US patenting called business methods. You need to connect the concept to a software idea, like app for notification, etc. but software need not be innovative. File a provisional patent ASAP. It can be a low as $800 if you use a patent clerk instead of an attorney.
No kidding. This is great to know thank you. I will talk to the team and get this going

Bertram

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 25, 2015
Virginia

PersianCub

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Feb 28, 2018
Atlanta
It sounds like a great product. I hope the cockroach never sees it coming.
I appreciate it. just more fuel to the fire, I'm actually glad I have an enemy in sight already :p

Bertram

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 25, 2015
Virginia
It sounds like a great product. I hope the cockroach never sees it coming.

I just finished another read of MFL. Late in the book MJ gives a strong caution about how to deal with stolen ideas or with getting scooped.
He says forget the other guy, don't care about the idea, keep focused on execution.

PersianCub

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Feb 28, 2018
Atlanta
I just finished another read of MFL. Late in the book MJ gives a strong caution about how to deal with stolen ideas or with getting scooped.
He says forget the other guy, don't care about the idea, keep focused on execution.
100%, great insight. I gotta re-read soon.

I was heated as hell when I first found out. Now I'm not even worried about it. We are 3 weeks away from having a fully functioning Agency Reference Management platform and I know he doesn't have 1/10th of what my team is bringing to the table. Appreciate it man

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.