The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My journey...

Idea threads

Rob Rokx

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Mar 22, 2023
Etten-Leur, The Netherlands
Hi all,

My name is Rob and I am starting a new business. I failed at several businesses already, but I learned a lot from them.
I am posting this because I want to create accountability for myself. Also, this forum is an excellent way to get and stay in contact with like-minded people.

My business is going to target students with concentration problems. I am going to use biohacking to improve their lives. Biohacking is something I am very familiar with, and I firmly believe that a lot of people could benefit from it.

I'm Dutch, and biohacking here isn't as big as in the US. I want to create some publicity around this topic and provide free value by educating students about it. I am currently graduating and I've experienced a lot of students with concentration/focus problems. I'm confident in my abilities to help those students.

The first product that I'm going to sell isn't very creative; it's a brain supplement. I see an opportunity to skew attributes that brands miss out on. The market is quite saturated, but I could be a trendsetter here in The Netherlands by using the complaints of people buying similar products.
My prototype is already on its way, and I will in the meantime build an audience for my product here.

From now on, I'll post regularly to give an update about my process. I will post once a week.

If you read this, thank you for your attention, as it is appreciated! Feel free to open the conversation with me, as I am very eager to meet new, like-minded people.
Good luck on your journey!

Much love,

Rob

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
A

Anon45x4yB

Hi all,

My name is Rob and I am starting a new business. I failed at several businesses already, but I learned a lot from them.
I am posting this because I want to create accountability for myself. Also, this forum is an excellent way to get and stay in contact with like-minded people.

My business is going to target students with concentration problems. I am going to use biohacking to improve their lives. Biohacking is something I am very familiar with, and I firmly believe that a lot of people could benefit from it.

I'm Dutch, and biohacking here isn't as big as in the US. I want to create some publicity around this topic and provide free value by educating students about it. I am currently graduating and I've experienced a lot of students with concentration/focus problems. I'm confident in my abilities to help those students.

The first product that I'm going to sell isn't very creative; it's a brain supplement. I see an opportunity to skew attributes that brands miss out on. The market is quite saturated, but I could be a trendsetter here in The Netherlands by using the complaints of people buying similar products.
My prototype is already on its way, and I will in the meantime build an audience for my product here.

From now on, I'll post regularly to give an update about my process. I will post once a week.

If you read this, thank you for your attention, as it is appreciated! Feel free to open the conversation with me, as I am very eager to meet new, like-minded people.
Good luck on your journey!

Much love,

Rob
Hi Rob, I’m thankful you share your journey here!

I love to ask questions about failed businesses.
- What businesses were you running?
- What caused them to fail?
- What are the lessons you learned from these activities?

Keep it up bro I’d really like to know more about!!

Rob Rokx

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Mar 22, 2023
Hi Rob, I’m thankful you share your journey here!

I love to ask questions about failed businesses.
- What businesses were you running?
- What caused them to fail?
- What are the lessons you learned from these activities?

Keep it up bro I’d really like to know more about!!
Hi Younesbernou,

Thanks for your reply! Let me answer your questions :)
I first started a business selling CBD drinks. As you can read in my initial post, I am from the Netherlands. The cannabis industry is kind of a grey area here. I REALLY believe in the benefits that CBD could bring to people's lives, but CBD is kinda hard to consume for people. I wanted to make it simpler by making an all-natural drink.
So I branded it and made a recipe, but I had to ask permission to sell it from the NVWA (a Dutch safety institution for food and beverages).
I had interested buyers, and it could come off the ground, but I didn't have permission (yet) and I got the advice to quit the game, because when sales are going up you are breaking the rules. I just didn't do enough research about all the rules surrounding CBD in The Netherlands. It is a very vague and grey space.

Second, I started a job marketing agency. I helped businesses with the right people to work for them. I did this together with a companion. We had some clients and the business was making money, but the work was tedious.
Me and my companion didn't feel satisfied by the work we did. We didn't have the feeling that businesses really benefitted from what we did. We finished the work we started and made some companies a little happier, but we weren't necessary. We wanted to do something way more valuable, and we couldn't accomplish that with this area of work, so we decided to find something new.

So in conclusion:
- My first business failed because of a lack of research. My enthusiasm was too big to see these future obstacles. Although the idea and product itself weren't bad at all, my process was. I learned that I have to make more detailed plans, before I jump into business ideas.
- My second business failed because of a lack of passion and satisfaction. This is a classic example of money-chasing. I knew I could make money by this business model, but the process becomes really tedious when you don't feel valuable.

I hope that you got something out of this post. Don't hesitate to ask me when other questions pop up.

Cheers,

Rob

A

Anon45x4yB

Hi Younesbernou,

Thanks for your reply! Let me answer your questions :)
I first started a business selling CBD drinks. As you can read in my initial post, I am from the Netherlands. The cannabis industry is kind of a grey area here. I REALLY believe in the benefits that CBD could bring to people's lives, but CBD is kinda hard to consume for people. I wanted to make it simpler by making an all-natural drink.
So I branded it and made a recipe, but I had to ask permission to sell it from the NVWA (a Dutch safety institution for food and beverages).
I had interested buyers, and it could come off the ground, but I didn't have permission (yet) and I got the advice to quit the game, because when sales are going up you are breaking the rules. I just didn't do enough research about all the rules surrounding CBD in The Netherlands. It is a very vague and grey space.

Second, I started a job marketing agency. I helped businesses with the right people to work for them. I did this together with a companion. We had some clients and the business was making money, but the work was tedious.
Me and my companion didn't feel satisfied by the work we did. We didn't have the feeling that businesses really benefitted from what we did. We finished the work we started and made some companies a little happier, but we weren't necessary. We wanted to do something way more valuable, and we couldn't accomplish that with this area of work, so we decided to find something new.

So in conclusion:
- My first business failed because of a lack of research. My enthusiasm was too big to see these future obstacles. Although the idea and product itself weren't bad at all, my process was. I learned that I have to make more detailed plans, before I jump into business ideas.
- My second business failed because of a lack of passion and satisfaction. This is a classic example of money-chasing. I knew I could make money by this business model, but the process becomes really tedious when you don't feel valuable.

I hope that you got something out of this post. Don't hesitate to ask me when other questions pop up.

Cheers,

Rob
Heh, I live in France and CBD drinks and oils just exploded since a year or two!

The thing is, very restrictive rules can benefit you because it create a crazy barrier to entry. But they’re rarely in the producer’s advantage.

I find that starting a CBD business and a Brain supplement business looks similar in some ways :

Eatable supplements need authorizations too (are you aware of that?)

Will people see this like a trend and just move to another “magic supplement” ?

I’m a little bit divided bro. What advantages do your product have that gazillion other supplements dont bring?

Thanks a lot !

Rob Rokx

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Mar 22, 2023
Heh, I live in France and CBD drinks and oils just exploded since a year or two!

The thing is, very restrictive rules can benefit you because it create a crazy barrier to entry. But they’re rarely in the producer’s advantage.

I find that starting a CBD business and a Brain supplement business looks similar in some ways :

Eatable supplements need authorizations too (are you aware of that?)

Will people see this like a trend and just move to another “magic supplement” ?

I’m a little bit divided bro. What advantages do your product have that gazillion other supplements dont bring?

Thanks a lot !
Hi Younes,

Thanks for thinking with me!

I know that supplements need authorization as well, but for supplements, it's a lot easier here. I already know what my next steps are in the authorization process and I have no doubt that I can sell these products.

Second, I know the supplement market has been saturated, but there is always room for improvement. That being said, I am not going to be a supplement company. I am planning on selling more products that improve the biological performance of the brain. Another example is copper drinkware. Copper is an excellent material and improves brain function.

To answer your question specifically; I am still a student myself and I've met quite a lot of students with focus problems and productivity problems. Their solution: Ritalin or Adderall!!!. The fact that students are still using these types of crap, tells me that there isn't a supplement targeted to students specifically.

I want to educate people on the benefits of supplements and I want to trash all the unnecessary ingredients that hurt health. My distinguishing factors are going to be my audience, the type of ingredients and education via social media.

I can understand why people think that I am ''one of many'' as it is kind of true, but I believe that the message behind my brand is the thing that is going to determine my success.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, as I love to be wrong ;)

Oh, and BTW, I am curious to hear your story, if you have any, so I can think with you as well.

Cheers,

Rob

Rob Rokx

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Mar 22, 2023
Hi all, my weekly update here.

I decided to start a YouTube channel to build an audience. I've chosen YouTube because 1) I HATE social media, and I've zero experience using it (I know YouTube is considered social media as well, but I think you'll understand the difference. 2) I am familiar with YouTube as it is my go-to platform to soak up information. 3) To create informative videos, I HAVE to do a lot of research about my topics on my own. This way, I'll force myself to learn and provide value to people.
I've posted my first YouTube video, and I am halfway into my second script.

Next to my YouTube channel, I've dedicated some time to the things that MJ finds VERY important: My logo and name ;).
In all seriousness, I quickly chose a logo and name, as I can change that later when necessary.

As I am starting a biohacking company, I've spent a lot of time finding out how I could optimize my product. I want to provide real value that I can back up with scientific research and my own experience.

Next, I want to mention that I am in the final 2 weeks of university. I am graduating in neuropsychology at the end of March. (yes, I was indoctrinated by the ''get a good job and work yourself up'' mindset )
By finishing this chapter in my life, my student debt will shrink by about 50% as that is a specific rule here in The Netherlands.

I have also found a new job in sales based on 24 hours a week. I've done this so that I can up my sales skills and so that I can pay for the things necessary in business.

My goal for the next two weeks is to graduate, which is a priority right now. I also want to publish 3 YouTube videos within this time.
My prototype will arrive on Monday. I have already contacted 9 people who want to try it, and I am planning to get more people to try it. I already have ideas about what I should change about the prototype to make it better. Unfortunately, these ideas came to mind after ordering the prototype. I want to make clear decisions about what my final product will be.

Anyway, thanks for your attention, as it is all about me. Please let me know how your journey is going!

Cheers,

Rob

Last edited:

Rob Rokx

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Mar 22, 2023
Hi all,

Here's my weekly update again.
My prototype came in, and I am in contact with my supplier right now about some changes. I tested the product myself and I'm not that satisfied. I think I know what I need to change for it to work properly.

I changed my environment this week. My workspace is a lot different right now, and I feel like my production has gone up significantly because of this change.

I've posted a second video on my YT channel, and it got a lot more attention than the first one. I've gained three subscribers with this video, which I didn't expect and I am grateful for that. I am trying to communicate with these people so that I can improve on my videos by acquiring feedback.

I have my final exams on the 25th and 26th of March, so the most amount of time has gone into studying for these exams. I am going to knock these out of the park, I'm sure.

That's it for now, thank you for your attention and, I'll post here again soon.

Cheers,

Rob

Rob Rokx

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Mar 22, 2023
Hi all,

It is that time of the week again. Let's share my week with you.

I spent my last week studying my final two courses at university. I'll probably graduate from university this week, as it was an overwhelming week. I still need to receive one grade, and if I passed, I am officially a psychologist. Yes you read that right, I have an useless degree.

I posted my third YouTube video. I feel like I could have done better, but I don't know how. I've read my script over and over multiple days in a row, but I couldn't pinpoint the exact problem. I've provided at least average value with this video, that's for sure. I've learned a lot in the process, so my next video will always be better.

I've contacted my manufacturer and closed a deal about a new sample. I wasn't very keen on the product initially and I saw some things and details that could be skewed. The deal allows me to change the product to my and especially my potential customer's wishes. I will send my exact details to the manufacturer tomorrow and I expect the sample in about 2 weeks.

And a little sidenote: I've started learning English, as my English isn't that good and I want to move to the US in about three years.

That was in short what I've done this week.

Please let me know what you are up to!

Cheers,

Rob

Rob Rokx

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Mar 22, 2023
Hi all,

My weekly update :).

I've ran into problems with my potential manufacturer. We couldn't agree on the terms, so we had to move on.
I've contacted at least ten new manufacturers, and of those ten, two manufacturers stood out. I hope to have a deal in the next week.

Second, I wanted to learn more about marketing, because I am going to need traffic and an audience in the next couple of weeks and months. That's why I bought a course on Udemy, to make me familiar with the different options. I am currently running through the course and I have to make certain decisions regarding my channels and how to engage with my audience.

I am still not valuable enough, so I need to produce content that helps people on a daily basis. Still learning.

That's it for now. A little short because I wasted way too many hours on problems that didn't need my time. I have done a lot of action-faking this week. I need to do better in the upcoming weeks.

Cheers,

Rob

Rob Rokx

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Mar 22, 2023
Hi all,

A little late, but here is my weekly update.

I posted two new videos on YouTube this week. The quality is a lot better right now and I feel like I'm improving.
I closed a deal with one of the previously mentioned manufacturers, and while my products are on their way, I need to gain attention from people.

Like I said in my previous course, I bought a course on Udemy about marketing. I am now building my website where I can list my products and where I can send people who give me their attention.
I promise that I will appreciate any attention and I will be as valuable as possible to those people.

I've gained a little attention in the past week with free content and I want to provide more. I am thinking about the 20:1 rule: Provide free valuable content 20 times, before you ask anything of anyone. That is the strategy that I will be using with my content.

I also want to engage and communicate with people who are genuinely interested in what I have to say. That's why I want to write a newsletter as well. I want to have a fun structure in my newsletter and one that is simple to read. Straight to the point and not too long.

I am working on my website now and it should be live tomorrow. I am not wasting too much time on it right now, because it is not a priority. It just has to be there.

I have a good plan for next week.

Thank you for reading if you came so far!

Cheers,

Rob

Visida

Banned for using AI
Feb 2, 2024
Las Vegas
It sounds interesting that you decided to start a biohacking business, especially with a focus on students with concentration problems. This is a truly important topic given the modern challenges of education. Your knowledge and experience can be very valuable to those facing these challenges. Good luck in creating a product and building an audience!

Rob Rokx

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Mar 22, 2023
It sounds interesting that you decided to start a biohacking business, especially with a focus on students with concentration problems. This is a truly important topic given the modern challenges of education. Your knowledge and experience can be very valuable to those facing these challenges. Good luck in creating a product and building an audience!
Thank you man for your reply. Please let me know if you need anything. I'm happy to help.

Rob Rokx

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Mar 22, 2023
Hi all,

Weekly update here. I have to pick a certain day of the week to update here instead of being inconsistent.

My website is live and I spend a good amount of time optimizing the site and the analytics on the backend.
It is functional and has all the necessary basics. I didn't put a whole lot of work into the visuals. I think a simple, clear, and concise website is far more important.

I said in the past that I wouldn't use social media as a content channel. I (unfortunately) feel like I have to use it because my target audience is hanging out on these platforms the most. Although I hate such platforms, I think Instagram and TikTok can be a great way to promote my business and create valuable content.

The reason why I came back from my earlier decision is because I am reading a book that @MJ DeMarco recommends on his 100-book list. It is called Dynamic Digital Marketing by Dawn McGruer. The book gave me great insights already and opened my eyes a little bit more. I am still reading though.

I created both accounts and content could be made once and posted on both platforms. I already created some content (also for YT), and have a strategy in place for next week.

I am still thinking about how I would structure a newsletter so I can engage with my audience more in-depth. I have to write at least one letter next week following a structure I want to apply in the future as well.

Lastly, I want to mention that I wrote a blog post for my site and optimized it for SEO. It is the best content I've ever created so I am proud of that. I've not used ChatGPT and it came straight from the knowledge I've acquired over the past years. The function of this post is to gain a little authority when traffic gets to my website.

In short my plans for next week:
- Create at least 7 pieces of content for Instagram and TikTok.
- Create one piece of content for my YouTube channel.
- Write two blog posts to fill my website.
- Learn about how to create more valuable content.

Thank you for reading again!

Cheers,

Rob

Rob Rokx

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Mar 22, 2023
Hi all,

Weekly update here.

I am seeing my first results with my content strategy. I have been posting 3 posts a day on Instagram and TikTok since Thursday. This is the strategy I will use in the upcoming months. My content is focused on educating and entertainment. Some posts are promotional and have a CTA.

There have been 90 people on my website since I've published it! That is a huge win for me honestly.
In all fairness, my analytics tell me that there were quite a few bouncers, and quite a lot of people from the USA, which is odd since my website is in Dutch.
It is just a good thing that my website is accessible and that Google Analytics + my data filters are working.

In my last post, I had a plan for the upcoming week. Sadly, I didn't work according to my plan. I didn't make a YT video and I only wrote a single blog post. I posted more content on social media than planned.

My plan for next week is more thought out and I will certainly follow it:

- Post 21 pieces of content on social media. I already wrote out exactly what I want to post, so it's only creating them. My goal is to provide simple tips and educational content that people can instantly use in their lives.

- Write one blog post of around 2000 words. I am going to write about Sisu and what we can learn from it.

- Optimize my website to make visitors stay. It is not engaging enough and people can spend their valuable time better on other places. That should of course not be the case. I want every second to be worth it for the visitor.

- Write my welcome mail and follow-up mail for when I convert someone to my email list.

Thank you all for reading!

Cheers,

Rob

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads