The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My journey - first business

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

axerei

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Jan 25, 2017
Stavanger
I´ve been a lurker on this forum for a while, so I figured that I would challenge myself and create a progress thread. I challenge myself to update this thread every day for 30 days.

So I will just quickly introduce myself and my goals. I'm 21 years old from Norway. Currently, I'm going to college, I'm studying innovation and entrepreneurship. I have 1 and 1/2 years left to finish my degree.

Last year I dabbled in affiliate marketing, but after reading the MF, I realized that I wanted to start my own business instead. I realized that I lacked control by doing AM.

I only goal this year is to start a business which makes xxx amount of $.

The problem I have been facing is that I can't figure out what problem I want to solve. The last couple of days I have spent a ton of time researching(On Reddit, on forums). I have been trying to find out what problems people have, I want to help fix a need.

Do any of you guys have any advice on how to move forward?

Anyways I'll keep you guys updated.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

axerei

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Jan 25, 2017
Stavanger
Quick update: Yesterday I was traveling the whole day. I spent the time on the train coding and reading. Right know I'm learning python. And the book I read is Breakthrough Advertising by Eugene Schwartz, it's is supposed to be one of the best copywriting books of all time. And it's really blowing my mind. Anyway, I'm not further along with an idea... I will keep updating this thread.

daru

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Feb 11, 2017
Earth
Hello fellow Scandinavian!
Had similar problems when, after reading a couple of Gold threads, I realized it was fairly simple. Just start to help someone out. Don't think and search for ideas, think of someone you know that you can help with whatever. Start small.

After a while that seems to start snowballing into bigger things and you may find a need that you can solve that complies with the CENTS commandments.

The Andy Black story about his electrician friend really made me understand the concept so check that out!

Last edited:

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
Quick update: Yesterday I was traveling the whole day. I spent the time on the train coding and reading. Right know I'm learning python. And the book I read is Breakthrough Advertising by Eugene Schwartz, it's is supposed to be one of the best copywriting books of all time. And it's really blowing my mind. Anyway, I'm not further along with an idea... I will keep updating this thread.

This is a trap.

You think, "I'll learn python, and then I'll find something that I can use it for".

"I'll learn copywriting, and then I'll find a way to make money with the skill".

The reality is, working on learning something makes you feel good. But, when you're done learning that skill, you're no closer to knowing what your next move is. You're no closer to starting a business.

I did this many times in the past.

What skills/strengths do you have right now? What opportunities are around you right now?

NewYorkCity

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 7, 2011
I did my first $XXXX deal doing technical writing in college, off elance no doubt. I way undercharged but it did get me started with learning how to negotiate. My first $XXX deal was with the same company off elance.

Writing/copywriting can get you that $XXX which is a decent start pretty quick. Send out some cold emails to local businesses (20+) and see what you get back.

axerei

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Jan 25, 2017
Stavanger
Okey thanks for the feedback guys. Thanks, @daru I will be checking out the Andy Black story.

Amp0193 thanks for the feedback. I get that learning copywriting and learning how to code can be "action faking", but I would also think that those skills are valuable as an entrepreneur. (correct me if I'm wrong)

NewYorkCity thanks for the reply. I'm not sure I want to do copywriting exclusively. I would rather use it as a tool to earn more in a business I have created. Anyways it could be a useful way to bring in some extra cash.

I've been thinking about my strength/skills: There are several topics I'm interested in, one thing I have been studying a lot is "How to learn any skill quickly ". What do you guys think of that? Would it make a good idea for a course? (I will try to validate this idea, the next couple of days)

I have not been updating the thread everyday like i set out to do, but i will try again.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
Amp0193 thanks for the feedback. I get that learning copywriting and learning how to code can be "action faking", but I would also think that those skills are valuable as an entrepreneur. (correct me if I'm wrong)

Anything you learn about copywriting will make a lot more sense when you have something to sell. If you don't have anything to sell, whatever you learn is going to be forgotten, as you can't apply your knowledge to anything.

Learning to code is pretty silly, unless you know for a fact you are going to create a business that is going to need lots of coding. You're going to need to spend tons of hours to even be somewhat functional at coding... and you don't even know what business you want to start yet. Seems like a waste of time right now.

"How to learn any skill quickly ". What do you guys think of that? Would it make a good idea for a course? (I will try to validate this idea, the next couple of days)

Only if you're an expert on learning skills quickly, and you have a unique spin or new advice that isn't out there already.

I have not been updating the thread everyday like i set out to do, but i will try again.

No need to update every day, just update when you've taken action.

axerei

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Jan 25, 2017
Stavanger
Okey, thank you amp0193 those answers made a lot of sense. Your advice is very appreciated.

Perhaps you´re right I'll only update when I'm taking action.

Envision

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
783%
May 5, 2014
Solidify your goals. The way your intro is worded sounds like you could go anywhere.

"I want to make X amount in X industry solving X need by X date."

Once you know where you want to go and what you want to do then you'll be able to reverse engineer the goal and work on it.

As to what needs to fill look to your life, hobbies, and problems you do each day.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.