Rakona
New Contributor
- Joined
- Jul 14, 2009
- Messages
- 43
Rep Bank
$160
$160
User Power: 28%
Hello Everyone. Great group here.
I started my first online business in ’02 selling personal development products like T. Robbins & the Cashflow game. The business did well, but once it peaked, it never made enough money to completely be a full-time job, always was a middle of the night thing for years and years.
Eventually T. Robbins & Rich Dad discontinued their wholesale program. I tried a few other product lines, but nothing had the same volume.
Years prior I began studying under Perry Marshall, the adwords guru. He liked the progress I’d made in my business and results from other Adwords accounts I worked on. He trusted my skill enough to make me a recommended consultant. I’d picked up adwords management jobs/clients here and there starting around ’04.
During all this time I was working in restaurants, bouncing from management opportunity to make $5k/year more. I was selected to work in wine as a sommelier under a world expert, one of 150 people in the world with the highest level of certification.
I ran a $4mil/year wine program, one of the highest grossing wine programs in the world, hobnobbed with wine elite and drank about every insane wine you could imagine. But…I always had other aspirations. I used to joke, none of the millionaires we take care of started in the management development program.
Even if I joined that elite group of 150 world experts via years of insane study and hard work, the most I’d probably ever make was $150k-$200k/year MAX . Most of these experts work nights, long hours and weekends, what’s the point I’d often wonder? It was really so unglamorous. I knew I could be an average entrepreneur and make tons more than these world experts.
A series of events would bring my “glamorous†job to an end in January. I interviewed for another wine job, but just hated every second of it.
I had some Google consulting clients still and figured it was time to give it a full-time go.
I’d stumbled onto a call tracking technology for online advertising that gave offline businesses (plastic surgeons, dentist…etc) conversion data all the way back to specific keywords. An eye opener to one client spending $1k/month on “Botox†related clicks. ZERO PHONE calls when we began tracking.
I’ve added on several new clients, from plastic surgeons (3 in Beverly Hills), lead generation for a group of network marketers, a jeweler, e-commerce and a few others.
I added on phone training for the doctors after listening to so many inquiries get killed by poor salesmanship. At $50-$250 every time the phone rings, it was painful to hear these calls botched.
The training increases new patient count by 20%-50% in one month.
I took another online concept, multi-variable testing that I was doing with “online†clients and began doing it with my “offline†clients.
Working with metrics like time on site, number of pages viewed I began to multi-variable test the doctors websites to increase ease of use, reduce bounce rates, increase amount of time spent on the site and the number of pages visited. This again translated into more business.
The finishing touch is to take what was working based on conversion and use it for our SEO strategy.
I recently hired my first employee, an SEM expert that has developed a top 50 internet retailer and another giant e-commerce site. She works for me part time and is not a fan of dealing with clients, so a great match.
I’m not rich yet, but have just turned the corner of probably not having to look for a job this year. That’s a big thing.
My goal is 50 clients at $2k/month, to get me in the $1mil club.
I’m looking forward to helping anywhere I can with online marketing or marketing in general.
Thanks for reading.
I started my first online business in ’02 selling personal development products like T. Robbins & the Cashflow game. The business did well, but once it peaked, it never made enough money to completely be a full-time job, always was a middle of the night thing for years and years.
Eventually T. Robbins & Rich Dad discontinued their wholesale program. I tried a few other product lines, but nothing had the same volume.
Years prior I began studying under Perry Marshall, the adwords guru. He liked the progress I’d made in my business and results from other Adwords accounts I worked on. He trusted my skill enough to make me a recommended consultant. I’d picked up adwords management jobs/clients here and there starting around ’04.
During all this time I was working in restaurants, bouncing from management opportunity to make $5k/year more. I was selected to work in wine as a sommelier under a world expert, one of 150 people in the world with the highest level of certification.
I ran a $4mil/year wine program, one of the highest grossing wine programs in the world, hobnobbed with wine elite and drank about every insane wine you could imagine. But…I always had other aspirations. I used to joke, none of the millionaires we take care of started in the management development program.
Even if I joined that elite group of 150 world experts via years of insane study and hard work, the most I’d probably ever make was $150k-$200k/year MAX . Most of these experts work nights, long hours and weekends, what’s the point I’d often wonder? It was really so unglamorous. I knew I could be an average entrepreneur and make tons more than these world experts.
A series of events would bring my “glamorous†job to an end in January. I interviewed for another wine job, but just hated every second of it.
I had some Google consulting clients still and figured it was time to give it a full-time go.
I’d stumbled onto a call tracking technology for online advertising that gave offline businesses (plastic surgeons, dentist…etc) conversion data all the way back to specific keywords. An eye opener to one client spending $1k/month on “Botox†related clicks. ZERO PHONE calls when we began tracking.
I’ve added on several new clients, from plastic surgeons (3 in Beverly Hills), lead generation for a group of network marketers, a jeweler, e-commerce and a few others.
I added on phone training for the doctors after listening to so many inquiries get killed by poor salesmanship. At $50-$250 every time the phone rings, it was painful to hear these calls botched.
The training increases new patient count by 20%-50% in one month.
I took another online concept, multi-variable testing that I was doing with “online†clients and began doing it with my “offline†clients.
Working with metrics like time on site, number of pages viewed I began to multi-variable test the doctors websites to increase ease of use, reduce bounce rates, increase amount of time spent on the site and the number of pages visited. This again translated into more business.
The finishing touch is to take what was working based on conversion and use it for our SEO strategy.
I recently hired my first employee, an SEM expert that has developed a top 50 internet retailer and another giant e-commerce site. She works for me part time and is not a fan of dealing with clients, so a great match.
I’m not rich yet, but have just turned the corner of probably not having to look for a job this year. That’s a big thing.
My goal is 50 clients at $2k/month, to get me in the $1mil club.
I’m looking forward to helping anywhere I can with online marketing or marketing in general.
Thanks for reading.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
