The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My Idea was stolen to a T (Lesson Learned) giggrabber

Idea threads

meistere

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Sep 15, 2012
Hi guys. I'm really not sure what the point of this post is going to be, but It was sure an eye opening experience for me, and I just wanted to post this to get it off my chest.

I had and Idea awhile back for a website that I called giggrabber (http://signup.giggrabber.com/). Simply it allowed you to post "gigs" or small odd jobs and allowed people to bid on them, so you could get your gig completed. I actually posted this Idea in depth in the INSIDERS which unfortunately I am no longer subscribed to. If someone could please copy/paste that thread here with the date I posted it that would be great, it no longer needs to be behind closed doors.

I was in the process of trying to get a website developed, had other projects I was trying to work on so I didn't really have the time to put into developing it, or the money to hire someone to develop it for that matter. Another thing was also trying to validate the Idea, I asked some people and got mixed reactions (this has already been attempted, won't work etc). There's a Start-Up Incubator in my city and actually submitted it there with the same reactions.

I originally put this Idea on paper 6/16/2013 so a little less than a year ago, Ill attach that just... because...

After I got my domain and set up my very simple landing page I would periodically search giggrabber in google with variations just to see if it popped up. Fast forward to sometime last week, did a search for giggrabber in google like I just said I periodically do and this popped up.

giggrabbers.com Really?!?! that's my domain with an s at the end of it! If you visit the website you can see it's almost exactly the same thing. Now I don't know if this site will turn out to be successful or not, but one thing I do know, someone was thinking the same thing I was. The fact that its my domain with an s makes me think this person had seen my Idea somewhere and simply acted on it before I did.

I can't blame anybody but myself for not taking action sooner. It's a tough lesson, especially if that site turns out to be a successful one, And if so talk about validation...

Again if somebody could copy/paste my post from the INSIDERS with the date I posted that would be great, and I guess I can delete this...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Attachments

• img002.jpg
    img002.jpg
    816.8 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

AubreyJ

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 26, 2014
Plano, TX
That really sucks, but like someone else said, you snooze you lose. You didn't have time/money to develop the idea into a real website, and so someone else did.

This is why I always keep my ideas to myself, at least until I have a good foundation and structure in place so that if someone wants to copy it, they will be behind me in development.

SGBoise

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Jan 21, 2014
Ideas are worthless. You have to take action towards them. There several factors go into a decision to pursue an idea. Timing is one of them which wasn't right for you.

But that's ok, keep looking for new ideas. You'll find the right idea where all the factors line up in your favor.

sle3pyguii

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Aug 19, 2012
Sorry to hear that. At least you've learned the importance of execution and won't make that mistake again for your next awesome idea.

youngtrep

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Dec 30, 2013
Northeast USA
TaskRabbit, which does exactly what your idea was, was launched in 2008, five years before you put your idea on paper. As others have said, it's all about execution and getting to consumers quickly.

NicoleMarie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
May 1, 2014
Wisconsin, USA
@JackEdwards actually might have something here...you could very well be the one that swoops in and makes a better product if the first makers fail; learn from their mistakes :p

meistere

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Sep 15, 2012
@JackEdwards actually might have something here...you could very well be the one that swoops in and makes a better product if the first makers fail; learn from their mistakes :p
Most definitely, I'm going to keep a close eye on them!

FoxFire21

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Sep 11, 2013
Kentucky
I may be in the minority here but I think the OP got screwed and action needs to be taken just like @biophase 's soap thread:
https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...ed-please-play-by-the-rules-or-lose-it.50707/

I'm not sure how they found out who she was eventually or how to even do so, but I think the same research needs to be taken to ban the copycat.

I know we focus more on execution on this forum and I know Biophase's business was already successful, but I still think we owe the research to the OP just like we gave Biophase even if the site fails.

The copycat will just continue until his/her laziness on this forum until they are rewarded.

Here is the original thread:

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...ress-thread-giggrabber-com.46694/#post-284313

I looked up the Whois info if @MJ DeMarco is interested. The domain was registered just a few months after OP's thread fwiw.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wuz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Nov 16, 2013
Are you serious?

this guy is testing the market for you.

If it works, there is your opportunity to do a better version of his/her website.

pioneering doesnt pay.

Do you need to be the only one in the market with that idea?

Elance, Odesk, freelancer etc.

BOth providing the same service.

Both providing value to the market.

Both with profit in their balance sheet.

Go get them.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
the INSIDERS are not indexed by google but the only barrier to entry is a credit card and $60bucks.

It would be fantastic if the person were flushed out. that said INSIDERS should still be careful of what information they put out inside there.

I haven't gone into the specifics of my project on my thread for this exact reason. you never know who is reading what is posted or what their intentions are.

Trivium iz rC

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jan 23, 2014
As other people have said above "You snooze, You loose". But don't be afraid to COMPETE there will always be people trying to re make your idea or make a knock off of your product. Business is 365 24/7 the paranoid only survive.

Chris R

Desire. Logic. Fear.
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 9, 2013
@CarrieW and everybody... we're really not even safe with Skype groups as when I was speaking during that call a couple weeks ago, I "thought" that those in our Skype group would be the only ones in on the call and to my surprise, someone who wasn't even in the group starts asking me questions... Sorry, but that's bullshit. Why was this person even invited without anyone's knowledge? As far as I'm concerned that was a total violation of trust

meistere

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Sep 15, 2012
I agree with everyone in here, he is validating my idea for me and you can be damn sure if his site picks up traction I'm going to do everything in my power to make sure I make my spot in that space, I simply just wanted to let someone know about it... It's a valuable lesson but it also seems like motivation to me more then anything...

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
@CarrieW and everybody... we're really not even safe with Skype groups as when I was speaking during that call a couple weeks ago, I "thought" that those in our Skype group would be the only ones in on the call and to my surprise, someone who wasn't even in the group starts asking me questions... Sorry, but that's bullshit. Why was this person even invited without anyone's knowledge? As far as I'm concerned that was a total violation of trust
that is bullshit... I would be pissed also.

SGBoise

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Jan 21, 2014
You guys/gals need to stop complaining about people stealing ideas. It's part of the game, if you don't like it then go get a job.

There are 7 billion people on earth. The likely would that you came up with an original idea is extremely low. Stop saying it's your idea. There are only very few people that can claim that they came up with something original but they won't be found in this forum.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
You guys/gals need to stop complaining about people stealing ideas. It's part of the game, if you don't like it then go get a job.

There 7 billion people on earth. The likely would that you came up with an original idea is extremely low. Stop saying it's your idea.
but it was his idea... they even used the same name! that's a little bit more then a co-winki-dink.

screw that. someone steals my idea and I am gonna bitch, cry, yell and whine... and if I found out it was someone who did it personally to me on purpose(as opposed to organically conceiving the same idea) God help them when I find em...

FoxFire21

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Sep 11, 2013
Kentucky
To those saying "Oh well tough shit OP. You weren't fast enough." Not one of you said that when Biophase got his idea stolen. Everyone was so urgent to back Biophase and crucify the copycat due to his reputation on this forum. (Rightfully so) OP doesn't have that rep and I think you all would be posting differently if he did.

Again, I understand Biophase's business was ALREADY successful so it's a different situation. But the OP posted it on the INSIDERS forum. No one has access to that other than INSIDERS. It's the same name as his original site and it was registered within months of OP's original post.

All I'm saying is OP got F*cked and if he wasn't a newb we would be having a different conversation. That's why the copycat of this idea should be banned just as the soap copycat was.

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
The reality is if the guy actually found it on the thread, copied the idea, which I can see, but to just change the name a little, by adding an s, probably means he has no imagination anyway and will probably fail.

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
All I'm saying is OP got F*cked and if he wasn't a newb we would be having a different conversation. That's why the copycat of this idea should be banned just as the soap copycat was.
Biophase told his entire process in his thread, each step of the way. I don't remember how many pages it was but it was A LOT more in depth than a simple idea (just as this guys posts). He gave exactly what he did and acted on it every step of the way.

This guy just stated an idea in a thread and made no progress he also really only posted twice in the thread with few details. These are not the same situation and thats why no one cares...

Biophase took action and was nice enough to lay out the exact steps he took and this guy merely stated an idea.

As everyone always says, ideas are worthless, it's all about the process.

FoxFire21

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Sep 11, 2013
Kentucky
Biophase told his entire process in his thread, each step of the way. I don't remember how many pages it was but it was A LOT more in depth than a simple idea (just as this guys posts). He gave exactly what he did and acted on it every step of the way.

This guy just stated an idea in a thread and made no progress he also really only posted twice in the thread with few details. These are not the same situation and thats why no one cares...

Biophase took action and was nice enough to lay out the exact steps he took and this guy merely stated an idea.

As everyone always says, ideas are worthless, it's all about the process.

Yes I agree it's completely different, but if that idea fails then the copycat will just come back for a new one. And the next may be a process rather than idea.

I just want the lazy pos banned is all :embarrased:

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
I just want the lazy pos banned is all :embarrased:

impossible people just need to realize this happening is a distinct possibility. it is still the internet afterall ;)

D

DeletedUser2

I just want the lazy pos banned is all

point him out, he may be.

stealing is stealing.

couple things. 1. sorry to hear you stuff was stolen.
2. why haven't you done anything with it? how is it different than taskrabbit? did you steal the idea from them?

all in all your bitching cause someone copied you, around a site you didn't do anything with. bad on him.... MORE bad on you for not doing something with it, or trademarking it, or SOMETHING with it.

hard to get all up in arms for so little done.....
just an idea, poorly executed, and kinda ripped off.....

Z

D

DeletedUser12

Task Rabbit is only available in less than 20 cities, so there is still room for something like this imo.

I think the op was gauging interest with a landing page / capturing email addresses -- just because they didn't build out a whole site yet doesn't mean the idea should be up for grabs.

I think simply adding an 's' to the domain name makes this clear, outright intentional stealing.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
unless the thief was more prepared :(

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.