The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My Dilemma

Anything related to matters of the mind

hypeking

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Nov 24, 2013
Los Angeles
It's been one year since I read The Millionaire Fastlane and nothing has changed. I am in the same predicament of the slowlane path, college, degree, desk job... I've been lurking around these forums everyday and absorbing as much information as I can from successful people and failures alike, as to know what TO do, and what NOT to do.

Granted, a large part of the reason I haven't tried to start any business is mostly from my OCD (I don't create anything unless it's perfect), but I also believe that I don't have to fail to succeed, I don't believe that I need to make mistakes when I can learn just fine from other people's mistakes.​

I am currently 17 years old and still in high school (graduating next year). I know that I will get my diploma no doubt but I am truly beginning to freak out about my future for a lack of better words. I have the grades to get into an average decent college but I would much rather attend a community college and transfer over to a four-year university. Yes I know college is a government sponsored scam but I have no income so what choice do I really have at this point. At this point I truly do not know whether or not my mom will support me anymore as she's showing a lot of bipolar symptoms like dramatic mood swings. I'm scared she'll kick me to the curb after I'm 18 if I do the slightest thing to piss her off. Obviously, this is not a good situation to be in when one person can have so much control over your life...

She's mentioned before that she would pay for my entire college tuition but it really weighs on my conscious when I know that 100k+ is going down the shit drain. It's scary at this age realizing you have no true assets of your own. My mom owns the house I live in, the car I drive, and the clothes I wear while I have no property or money. So I've saved up $900 and I can get about 1k more from selling things on craigslist.

Should I just play along with my mom and pretend to pursue a college path while working on a fastlane business on the side? If I do this way I figure I'll have another 4 years of free living. Yet with this path I would have to deal with the toxic influence of the slowlane mentality...

Or should I get a job and attend community college, and try to get my own place? Which honestly scares the F*ck out of me..

I know that theses forums can't make such big life decisions for me but I'm in a place where I just want some glimpse of guidance and advice. If you can offer your opinion to a kid who might have made you recall the struggles you also went through at a young age, I would very much appreciate it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Sigh, I remember being 17. Finishing high school, having constant fights with my mom, drama with various girls, being obsessed with sushi, not having a job, or foreseeable post-secondary plans, doing martial arts, having everyone ask "so what are you gonna do for a career?", and mostly living wild and free--not really giving a F*ck(I still don't do much giving a F*ck, but I got more direction with my not giving a F*ck).

I am currently 17 years old and still in high school (graduating next year).
Here it is, you're only 17. Once upon a time mother nature and society came together and decided to bitch slap human development by creating teenagers. Old enough to understand the world through an adult perspective, but too young to have life-experience and have built up their own resources. Cruel eh? You're in a transition stage in your life and it's totally understandable that you feel caught between being a kid and wanting things as an adult. Yes, you may rely a bit more on your mom now than you're comfortable with, buuuuuuuut you're also a 17 year old who's in school.

I would talk more about this but I need to sleep now. Bye byes

AntEmpire

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jan 4, 2015
Take the scariest path. Those are typically the roads less traveled but make all the difference. Anything else is just playing it safe like everyone else. You grow in fear, but stay stunted in safety. The scariest thing I did in my life was board a plane alone to England for graduate school. I had never been to England and had only seen my chosen school via the Internet. My interview took place over the phone.

I had a sheer panic attack the night before my flight out. I called my dad and told him I couldn't do it. He told me I could and that I could always come home if things didn't work out. The next morning I boarded my plane and touched down in London with just myself, a suitcase, and no family or friends to guide me or help me out. For the first time in my life I was totally on my own.

Today, graduate degree in hand, I'm cocky as f*ck. I know there's nothing I can't do. I grew in my fear, leapfrogging my peers. Had I caved to my fears the night before and stayed home, I would never have discovered what I'm capable of.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.