The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My 20,000 Word Day #20000wordchallenge

Anything related to matters of the mind

mindsetferg

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Apr 29, 2019
California
Woke up this morning not knowing what to write about. Decided to sit my butt down and do a personally created challenge. It took me almost 10 hours with few breaks in between. Not very sustainable for the long term, but definitely one way I was able to push my writing muscles up a notch. I documented the entire process using ideas from many books I've read. Maybe one of you will take it up?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
EDIT: Deleted the content of my post. I misread your post. Sorry.

20k word day sounds great if writing is your thing!

mindsetferg

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Apr 29, 2019
California
EDIT: Deleted the content of my post. I misread your post. Sorry.

20k word day sounds great if writing is your thing!

Thanks! I definitely would not try the 20k word challenge if I did not consider myself a writer. Funny your original message made it to my email. I was wondering lol.

D

Deleted78083

There is this famous belgian writer which writes x thousands (think that was 4k but not sure) words a day every day, "no matter how crappy there are". This girl published sooooo many books and has a cult-like following that assures her at least 100 000 sold copies per book! Process takes time folks!

mindsetferg

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Apr 29, 2019
California
There is this famous belgian writer which writes x thousands (think that was 4k but not sure) words a day every day, "no matter how crappy there are". This girl published sooooo many books and has a cult-like following that assures her at least 100 000 sold copies per book! Process takes time folks!

That's awesome. I want to know who she is. Tried to look it up but couldn't find specifics. If you happen to find out, please let me know.

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Aug 13, 2018
Woke up this morning not knowing what to write about. Decided to sit my butt down and do a personally created challenge. It took me almost 10 hours with few breaks in between. Not very sustainable for the long term, but definitely one way I was able to push my writing muscles up a notch. I documented the entire process using ideas from many books I've read. Maybe one of you will take it up?

I find this idea strangely intriguing and invigorating... similar to the anticipation and "chomping at the bit" I feel when I contemplate doing a spartan race (even though I've never done one).

Was your Medium post itself the actual writing you did for the 20,000 word challenge?

I started reading it and noticed it was super long. :eek: :cool:

I LOVE your analogy of training for a greater distance to make the "target" distance easier.

For example: my girlfriend the other day said she was having difficulty running 6 laps around the local track. I told her she should run more because it is only when you push yourself past your comfort zone that you can make the thing you’ve been doing, easier. Back to that in a moment.

But basically, as a writer, I think it works the same way. I’ve published 9 books thus far and part of how I do that is measuring how many words I write. And this is like exercise for myself.

mindsetferg

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Apr 29, 2019
California
I find this idea strangely intriguing and invigorating... similar to the anticipation and "chomping at the bit" I feel when I contemplate doing a spartan race (even though I've never done one).

Was your Medium post itself the actual writing you did for the 20,000 word challenge?

I started reading it and noticed it was super long. :eek: :cool:

I LOVE your analogy of training for a greater distance to make the "target" distance easier.

Very cool and thanks for the feedback.

It felt very worth it at the end although that could have been combined with the Red Bull talking. I also felt the "discomforts" of sitting for that long amount of time so you definitely want to balance a good "get up and move" routine while going through it.

But yes, the medium post is something like 20040 words. Interesting how almost 10 hours of writing and 20000 words is about 77 minutes of reading time.

I didn't realize I was going to complete it until the first 10000 words flew by and I was like "wow it's still early in the afternoon!" But the limitation I felt mostly was based on judgment.

Typing speed a little bit too, but someone who has a slower typing speed might need say 16 hours instead of 10. And then at least they got good practice typing! Or maybe a good stream of ideas you've probably thought of before.

Anyway, I say the biggest limitation is judgment because there are many sections I would have rewritten or updated, or clarified, but because the challenge wasn't about perfection, I had to overcome the self-criticism, or my ideas of what others might say. If you just push through those, you can do it.

violinista

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Apr 14, 2020
USA

This sounds like a crazy but rewarding challenge. It's quite impressive that you managed to pull it off, with flair! Heck, I am about to plan a day this week to actually try it myself. I am freelancing at the moment, and my current project is to write a book totaling 30k words on a subject that I know well. I have completed a book with an identical word count before and it took me about 8-9 days, including the outlining, formatting, and proof reading process. On my previous 30k word project, I typed up 10k words in a day, and then it took me several arduous, unfocused days to finish the rest! I definitely have a tendency go all out in the beginning, and then I have to really push myself to finish the rest. The rest of the 20k words were such a struggle to finish.

With my new project for 30k words, I technically have a few weeks to write it, but I want to knock it out ASAP. I tend to drag things out and lose focus if I'm not careful. However, I can get immense progress when I am totally focused. I will make this post my accountability - I will do a 20k word day! I feel like a crazy person because I know how much work it is, but doing it in a concentrated time period will be so worth it!

mindsetferg

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Apr 29, 2019
California
This sounds like a crazy but rewarding challenge. It's quite impressive that you managed to pull it off, with flair! Heck, I am about to plan a day this week to actually try it myself. I am freelancing at the moment, and my current project is to write a book totaling 30k words on a subject that I know well. I have completed a book with an identical word count before and it took me about 8-9 days, including the outlining, formatting, and proof reading process. On my previous 30k word project, I typed up 10k words in a day, and then it took me several arduous, unfocused days to finish the rest! I definitely have a tendency go all out in the beginning, and then I have to really push myself to finish the rest. The rest of the 20k words were such a struggle to finish.

With my new project for 30k words, I technically have a few weeks to write it, but I want to knock it out ASAP. I tend to drag things out and lose focus if I'm not careful. However, I can get immense progress when I am totally focused. I will make this post my accountability - I will do a 20k word day! I feel like a crazy person because I know how much work it is, but doing it in a concentrated time period will be so worth it!

Awesome to hear! Let us know what comes of it or if you decide to publish it online. You'll have a great time

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.