The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Must See Movies, Recommendations?

cor

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
May 8, 2016
The World
They Shall Not Grow Old was an interesting documentary that used advanced film restoration technology to colorize and restore old/lost WW1 footage. I saw it in theaters this year, probably one of the few films I actually went out to see these past few years.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Master and Commander - Russell Crowe (again, so sue me). Takes place during the Napoleonic wars. Bit of a cat and mouse game on the high seas between two ships. Just a fantastic film shot beautifully with an incredible audio track - if you have good speakers, this is a great movie to use them on.
LOVE this movie

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Anyone who likes Horror movies, check out The Wailing. It's a Korean movie. It's fabulous.

TheCj

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jan 3, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Agree with previous mentions of Ex-Machina and Upgrade both good movies involving artificial intelligence. With the later having a fair amount of action.

Another recent movie/documentary type that I enjoyed was Free Solo - about a guy that climbs without a safety rope.

I'm probably biased as a F1 race fan as would recommend movie Rush - based on true events people in F1 past.

Another one I wouldn't have recommended off the top of my head, just looking through some previous sci-fi lists is Passengers. Definately had/has me thinking when come across the movie years after watching it.

I use a site called movielens to get recommendations. You enter ratings for movies you've watched and it takes those ratings and gives a suggested rating for you on other movies. As well as recommending movies. I've found some enjoyable movies I wouldn't have considered based on it's recommendations.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Anyone ever try watching Memento backwards in the proper order?

Usually I’m just putting on movies for background sound when I’m doing work but Blackkklansman caught my attention recently and I thought it was pretty good. There’s some Spike Lee politics in places but it’s the only movie I can think of recommending from the past few months.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
@MJ DeMarco thought Midway was good. leave grouchy MJ at home and just appreciate the width and depth of what was really going on in some of the scenes. like 'damn, that one plan had 9 people in it." then read about some of the stuff (Battle of Midway, Doolittle Raid, etc.) on Wikipedia (I got time vampired one day in those endless reading loops of all the battles). Worth the tickets. Especially if they have caramel popcorn!

Thought Hobbs and Shaw was good. Made me laugh at the level of 'over the topness'. Whole theater was cracking up in one of the late scenes. Good flick.

We are debating 21 Bridges and Knives Out.

Lot of buddies liked the Joker. I plan to skip.
Will wait for Netflix for Terminator: Dark Fate.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
They Shall Not Grow Old was an interesting documentary that used advanced film restoration technology to colorize and restore old/lost WW1 footage. I saw it in theaters this year, probably one of the few films I actually went out to see these past few years.

Thank you, definitely need to add that one. And mentally prepare for it.

Michael PS

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Sep 11, 2019
Germany
One of the most inspiring movies for me is "Good Will Hunting" with Robin Williams and the young Matt Damon.

A guy who is a mathematic genius but lives into his fears and comfort zone, because he can't express hisself truly. I can associate it with entrepreneurship because it's the same way to do thing you are not used to or you are scared of. Currently zipping through the Thread of @IceCreamKid "The "Astonishing Secrets" and the same topics came up there.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
Sunshine, Europa Report, First Man, Solaris, The Master, Two Lovers, Good Time, Dr. Strangelove.

James90

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jul 2, 2019
Hawaii
Since the Joker just came out, another movie I enjoyed staring Joaquin Phonenix, is

"Her"

It's a movie set in the, not so distant future, and the premise is about a man that falls in love with his operating system. An AI virtual girlfriend. It opens up a new world of possibilities of virtual dating in the future that could be very well common. (look at Japan). It was a strange movie, but I couldn't stop watching it.

Not Most People

"If everyone else is doing it, its probably wrong"
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Jan 28, 2019
Scottsdale, AZ
If you haven't seen all the other Christopher Nolan movies besides Interstellar - Inception, The Prestige, Dunkirk, definitely check them out.

If you haven't seen the new Bladerunner, check that out

I saw Ford vs. Ferrari in theatres last night and it was really good. Based on a true story and pretty accurate from what I've read. Definitely worth a watch.

For WWI/WWII, definitely watch Fury if you haven't. Highly underrated in my opinion.

Garret S.

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jul 16, 2019
Philippines
A very good mind f*cked movie like Inception and Interstellar I have watched last year is Infinity Chamber. It is just an Indie movie, but it's a Dystopian Sci-Fi thriller gem.

Who have already watched it? Did the man escape? :)

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
Moon - Some damn proper psychological sci-fi about a guy on a 3-year mission mining helium from the moon who encounters a bit of a... uhh... personal crisis. The less you know the better before watching.

I loved Moon, so looks like I need to check out the other films on your list, too. I have a feeling we'd have similar taste.

@MJ DeMarco if you haven't seen it yet, 2001 A Space Odyssey also comes to mind as a must-see sci fi classic. If you like mind F*cks, it’s up there.

Do you like mind F*cks and not mind reading subtitles (might find it dubbed idk)? I've got what you need:

Contratiempo - The Invisible Guest

Nueve Reinas - (Nine Queens) This movie has 22 awards.

El Secreto de Sus Ojos - (The Secret in Their Eyes) There's a 2015 Hollywood remake, has bad reviews. Make sure you watch the original. The original won one Oscar (Best Foreign Language Film of the Year) and another 55 awards.

Nothing like Hollywood. Other countries films are told in different ways, you might like the change.

Did you ever see Rec?

Best zombie flick ever IMO - a friend recommended it to me when I said I didn’t mind watching a Spanish film and it was awesome.

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I loved Moon, so looks like I need to check out the other films on your list, too. I have a feeling we'd have similar taste.

@MJ DeMarco if you haven't seen it yet, 2001 A Space Odyssey also comes to mind as a must-see sci fi classic. If you like mind F*cks, it’s up there.

Did you ever see Rec?

Best zombie flick ever IMO - a friend recommended it to me when I said I didn’t mind watching a Spanish film and it was awesome.

Actually no, I haven’t! I’ve heard about it and chucked it to just another Blair Witch kinda movie (I’m way too critical of horror films lol)

Moon sounds interesting, hopefully notas interesting as the premise for “Passengers” and then ending up being one of the worst movies I’ve ever watched lol

Dufresne

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
May 5, 2018
My friend and I write movie reviews for fun (Hobby/passion, not my main business) so I try and go to the theatre when I have free time, which is seldom. Parasite is the best film I've seen this year by a mile! Director of Snowpiercer, The Host and several others. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was also great and different from anything Tarantino has done before. If you like disturbing but well-crafted horror, Midsommar is a must-see. Also looking forward to The Irishman.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Moon sounds interesting, hopefully notas interesting as the premise for “Passengers” and then ending up being one of the worst movies I’ve ever watched lol

I highly recommend for anyone who saw "Passengers" to check out this video (spoiler warning - this video assumes you've seen the movie...):

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gksxu-yeWcU

It shows how the movie could have been made FAR better with some re-arranging of the plot points. I honestly have to agree with them. I think if the filmmakers had gone with this version a lot more people would have sung its praises.

PranayaG

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jan 26, 2014
New York
Did you see Band of Brothers?

Just saw Midway. It’s pretty good.

Is there anything worth seeing? Something recent, or near recent?

Please don't recommend a Superhero or Marvel movie, I hate them.

I like cerebral and human interest movies like Interstellar.

Typically the more action (car chases, shooting etc) there is, the more I hate the movie.

I haven't been to a movie in probably a year, maybe two. Can't remember the last time I was at a theater.

I thought Ad Astra would be good, but I didn't hear anything positive about it.

Midway looks intriguing and might tickle my WWII fascination.

Is there anything worth seeing?

What do you recommend for someone who is sick of tired of rehashed action (as if we need another car chase through the third-world market) and superhero nonsense?

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I highly recommend for anyone who saw "Passengers" to check out this video (spoiler warning - this video assumes you've seen the movie...):

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gksxu-yeWcU

It shows how the movie could have been made FAR better with some re-arranging of the plot points. I honestly have to agree with them. I think if the filmmakers had gone with this version a lot more people would have sung its praises.

Oof yes that would have been much more better.
Not just that, but even with all the "warm up" in the beginning I can't justify him waking her up. And then I get even more angry at her forgiving him. AND the whole Lawrence Fishbourne character telling her to give him a break, the ship malfunction sequence that is solved within the first look around a server, there's so many things put there for the sake of the story to happen. AND HOW COME A SHIP HOLDING 5K PEOPLE ONLY HAS ONE AUTODOC????? How come the AI responds something like "oh no, failures can't happen" wtf is that BS? It's not just the plot that is cliche and forced, I feel they took an amazing premise and set to make the most annoying, lame film for the sake of showing Lawrence and Pratt.

CaptainAmerica

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Dec 27, 2015
Phoenix OR
These are great!

I'm re-reading The Riddle of the Sands, which was made into a Michael York movie in 1979. My dad took me to see it - the only movie we ever saw together. It's fascinating.

bizkitgto

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Sep 29, 2015
The Joker is still in theaters, go see it, I loved it.

As for what to watch, may I recommend the classics from 1999? The Matrix, Fight Club, American Beauty and Office Space...what do these movies have in common? Think about it.

Also, I'd throw American Psycho in there as well, even though it was released in 2000, it fits in with the above. 1999 was a special year.

Hassassin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Oct 14, 2012
Anybody here see the collector?

An undisputed king of thriller and suspence. My sister is normally an annoying movie companion, she's prone to texting or chatting away on the phone. But, while watching the collector, she had a form in her hand she was toiling with, from the start to when the credits rolled, the same form remained in her hands...

I'll leave it at that...

Oh, Donnie Darko is a great headscratcher too.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.