The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Multiple Income Streams from Your Business

Allthingznew

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 26, 2007
The location of the cabins is in a small town, (less than 1000 people) which is very quaint. The atmosphere is different at each cabin- which is fine- but also why the thought of an Inn is appealing, as we could provide a repeatable experience. The Inn is located within walking distance of "downtown" which is a super popular area for tourists (I have no idea why- after about 15 minutes you are done!)

So is the weather a factor on the off months? Tax time? Are the cabins rustic, luxury or something in between? Can they cook in them? Is it like camping without a tent or RV? If so, do you have the ability to add tent and/or RV sites? Is the draw to the cabins relaxation in the sun or...? Is a a weekend/vacation getaway for people within driving distance or is there a reason people would fly in from all over the world? Can you expand the use of the facility to include conferences or group events? Can you rent recreational equipment? Can you post some pics so maybe we can get a better feel to help with ideas? If you do post pics, try to post the most comprehensive views as well as different times of year if weather is a factor.

I were to get the Inn and put in a cafe, I suppose I just don't trust other people to be reliable- which is very "S" of me, and something I need to get over! I suppose I could maybe convince an already existing business to open up shop there and just rent them the space. ...Maybe a business that is in the next town over. Hmm.

Yep, capitalize on an opportunity you provide for someone.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
So is the weather a factor on the off months? Tax time? Are the cabins rustic, luxury or something in between? Can they cook in them? Is it like camping without a tent or RV? If so, do you have the ability to add tent and/or RV sites? Is the draw to the cabins relaxation in the sun or...? Is a a weekend/vacation getaway for people within driving distance or is there a reason people would fly in from all over the world? Can you expand the use of the facility to include conferences or group events? Can you rent recreational equipment? Can you post some pics so maybe we can get a better feel to help with ideas? If you do post pics, try to post the most comprehensive views as well as different times of year if weather is a factor.

You can visit our website: www.qualitytimecabins.com to see our cabins as well as read about local attractions. All our cabins are "modern" with kitchens and bathrooms. The draw is that we are the closest place for Texans to get out of the heat- well, that and the charm of the Village. Most people that vacation here drive up (max. generally 10 hour drive).

I could expand an area to include group events. There is a huge garage at the inn that is currently being used for storage. I could insulate that area and rent it out to someone who wants to rent outdoor gear/tire chains- or it could be self storage maybe. Hmmm.

GoldenEggs

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Sep 4, 2007
Silicon Valley, CA
We have an Americana music website. The original plan with the original partners was to create an Americana resource directory, promote live music and provide artist representation. Fast forward 5 yrs and it is now just my husband and I and the website is focused on retail of musical instruments.

All of our products are drop shipped. We do have a small inventory of returned items that we sell on ebay. I would like to bump up the income from the retail side so that we can pursue the other avenues. In the past, we had partnered with a local coffeeshop to do intimate concerts but the coffeeshop went out of business. We partnered with another coffeeshop to display some of our products but the artists who were running the shop garned more attention with their music. We started hosting house concerts at our home but the only space we have is on our patio so we are limited to the late spring to early fall months.

I'm not sure what else we can do to generate more income. I'm checking out the music instrument providers to see what they have that we do not. We don't want to get into the rental business because of potential shipping damage. My husband still has industry contacts who want to work with him but we are not in a position to take advantage of that yet. We don't have kids yet but we do take care of his 95 yr old dad. He doesn't require a nurse, but more of an "adult" sitter, which also made me think of another business that might be required in the future.

We're brainstorming this month on how to increase the income. If anyone has ideas that we are missing, I would love to hear them!

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007
Yves - I looked at your website and my first thought was whether there were rentals nearby for crosscountry skiing and/or snowmobiles. (Not even sure if you get that much snow)

I was thinking a concierge type service would be great.

I'd like to see what the interior looked like on the cabins and personally would be interested in the group events part!

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007
We have an Americana music website. The original plan with the original partners was to create an Americana resource directory, promote live music and provide artist representation. Fast forward 5 yrs and it is now just my husband and I and the website is focused on retail of musical instruments.

We're brainstorming this month on how to increase the income. If anyone has ideas that we are missing, I would love to hear them!

What is your website address?

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Yves - I looked at your website and my first thought was whether there were rentals nearby for crosscountry skiing and/or snowmobiles. (Not even sure if you get that much snow)

I was thinking a concierge type service would be great.

I'd like to see what the interior looked like on the cabins and personally would be interested in the group events part!

There are 2 places in town that do ski rental/ winter sports rentals.

Can you go into more detail as far a concierge service? And what type of group events would interest you?

...If you click on each cabin picture there are interior shots.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
I think your site is great! Man, you guys really offer the full range of music/Americana.

Allthingznew

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 26, 2007
You can visit our website: www.qualitytimecabins.com to see our cabins as well as read about local attractions. All our cabins are "modern" with kitchens and bathrooms. The draw is that we are the closest place for Texans to get out of the heat- well, that and the charm of the Village. Most people that vacation here drive up (max. generally 10 hour drive).

I could expand an area to include group events. There is a huge garage at the inn that is currently being used for storage. I could insulate that area and rent it out to someone who wants to rent outdoor gear/tire chains- or it could be self storage maybe. Hmmm.

Are your cabins close enough together, and your inn (yes you bought it) close enough we could have a Fastlane meet up there in the future? :smxB:

So the Texans aren't trying to escape the heat in the spring. How far is the nearest airport? Maybe you could expand your advertising and expose a larger audience to the charm of the area. What might be needed to accommodate those who fly in?

Allthingznew

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 26, 2007
www.themusicmotel.com

There is a lot that can be improved! I'm trying to convince my husband of this and he is slowly coming around.

Great looking site and unique offerings. I didn't hear any music, did I miss it?

If I'm going to buy a cd, unless I've heard it already, I want to hear sample before I buy. I noticed you had a fair amount of vintage gear. You might allow others to sell their gear too. You collect a listing fee, they handle the shipping issues.

You might also be able to create some kind of virtual cafe where artists can showcase themselves and/or their music. Like with videos. You get a listing fee again, but it's a local showcase venue, but it makes the world local.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Are your cabins close enough together, and your inn (yes you bought it) close enough we could have a Fastlane meet up there in the future? :smxB:

So the Texans aren't trying to escape the heat in the spring. How far is the nearest airport? Maybe you could expand your advertising and expose a larger audience to the charm of the area. What might be needed to accommodate those who fly in?

lol. It would be perfect for a fastlane meetup!

I think Texans don't come up much during the spring due to school schedules for their kids. I could market to the AF base that is in the next town over and run specials maybe.

...The nearest airport is a scenic 2 hours away. :) I don't know if anyone flies in to visit our Village. However, a tour bus ride of the area would be pretty cool. There's lots to see.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Yves, these two link from your Area Attractions page don't work, check the others as well...
Valley of Fires
What´s Up At White Sands

Also, I suggest a 'how to get here' page, where you mention the closest airport and car rental for the area. The pics from inside the cabins are too small, maybe bigger pictures provide a better idea of how they are.

And, to me, this is the most important point.... what is the view from the cabins? When I am thinking of taking time off and going to a cabin for a week, I am honestly not expecting to spend all my time inside the cabin, but enjoying the surroundings. A nice view and great surroundings are what make a place attractive to me. Pictures of these would make your cabins more attractive, in my opinion.

Also, the banner on top should also bring me to the home page.

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007
Yves - conceirge for me would mean: (ideal cabin vacation)

I call or email and set up the reservation. Find out if there are restaurants or deliveries close by (I'm guessing no). Then find out what the cabins come with (bed linens, towels, kitchen stuff) and get a shopping checklist emailed to me. I could mark off what I want to have waiting for me when I get there.

I'd get an email list of activities in the area and a questionnaire of interests (maybe this is online?) - this would spit out "things you might want to do and see". I could then contact the conceirge to arrange it all. I think someone mentioned they would love to go fishing, but with a guide who cooks lunch as well when you're there. Okay - that's just me. Not sure if I'm your target market but I would be happy to pay the Deluxe rate (includes conceirge service) plus a mark-up on the groceries to have it all handled for me.

How about someone who comes in and does massages?

I wonder if you get bird watchers, photographers, that type of thing - if you can find out the interests of your guests and then have suggestions...they would love you.

This is where I could see the "multiple streams of income" come into play. Find a way to automate all that and then get similar cabin locations lined up - if someone sends in a form saying they have a group of 50 that need 25 separate spaces with a meeting room and you can't handle it, you could refer to someone like you.

How many small cabin operators are there in the country? Is there an association? If not, start one! Then find out how you can provide your systems, marketing prowess, recipes...whatever to the group.

I searched "corporate nature retreat" and came up with http://www.corporatequest.ca/tour.html.

They don't list prices, but I would bet anything it's WAY more expensive than you charge. By finding a niche, and filling it better than the competition, you get paid a lot more.

You've mentioned the 2 hour drive from an airport. Who would find that desirable?

People on the run from the law
Writers (me! me!)
Families that need to reconnect (and then need to find an activity so they don't kill each other)
Exec teams who need to get away from the office
Management teams who need to team-build
Nature lovers
Photographers
Fisherpeople (is that the PC way to say it?)

This is fun! LMK your feedback.

GoldenEggs

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Sep 4, 2007
Silicon Valley, CA
Thanks for your ideas! We are going to start being more selective about the items that we carry. We can't compete with the bigger stores on the common items and some of lower end models are not worth our time to sell.

Great looking site and unique offerings. I didn't hear any music, did I miss it?

We had a Listening Lounge with music samples and links to radio stations. I just checked the site and now I can't find it.

You might also be able to create some kind of virtual cafe where artists can showcase themselves and/or their music. Like with videos. You get a listing fee again, but it's a local showcase venue, but it makes the world local.

Yes!! My orignally husband wanted to create a Myspace for artists. They would get their own webpage and be responsible for the keeping the content current.

I would really like to automate the ordering and confirmation process and have the retail part take care of itself. I'm making a lists of requests for our web master to update and streamline the site. I would rather spend our time going to the festivals, hearing new talent and getting the artist representation going! :icon_super:

GoldenEggs

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Sep 4, 2007
Silicon Valley, CA
Yves, here are some of my thoughts. I"m not a nature person so I have no idea about what is good for what season or what not.

What about partnering with a local cafe or activities business?

The cafe could create special picnic baskets just for the people who stay at your cabin. You could rent out hiking sticks, blankets, mini-tables, binoculars, or other assorted picnic-ing things. Or maybe the cafe could offer cooking in the outdoors classes at your cabin?

Also, from looking at your Area Attractions, what about partnering with the Peak Solar Observatory to offer star viewing trips? Or have Spencer Theater offer plays in the woods, assuming there is enough space?

HenkHolland

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 7, 2007
Diane, sorry I'm not trying to hijack your thread but I think that answers to my questions will also be helpful to you.
I've just been invited to invest in a executive search business that will be starting up shortly. Any ideas how we can distinguish ourselves from the majority of executive search businesses (online and off-line) and create add-on/spin-off business?
Thank you.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Great, great feedback everyone. :notworthy:Thank you so much for taking the time! I have a lot to look into- this is exciting! :hurray:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.