For some time, my goal has been to create and sell something. I consider creating to be one of the highest virtues one can achieve in life. My problem is that it's hard to create things when you don't own a factory. And even moreso when the idea is a new concept.
So my business plan is to create a rough, basically homemade product I invented, sell it on a site that accepts homemade stuff, like Etsy, and then after getting a large number of sales, and proven customer happiness with the product, take the profits and invest in a more refined design and mass production.
I can't give the exact product I wish to make, but for example, say hypothetically I invented the first PostIt. But I do not have a factory to create PosIts. My plan would consist of 2 steps. Step 1) I mix the glue concoction, and roll it onto the tops of paper pieces one by one. Then sell them as fast as I can make them. It's slow but I make some money. Step 2) Eventually I earn enough or get some investors to help mass produce it with a refined design.
Does that make sense? Or if I start making the product by hand, is moving to mass production hard to do, even if I have a patent, considering patents are all but useless in many cases....
I've heard of selling product ideas but I feel like I'd be scammed in that situation. Sorry if I'm asking a question that has already been answered. I am waiting for Unscripted to arrive in the mail, hopefully this weekend!
So my business plan is to create a rough, basically homemade product I invented, sell it on a site that accepts homemade stuff, like Etsy, and then after getting a large number of sales, and proven customer happiness with the product, take the profits and invest in a more refined design and mass production.
I can't give the exact product I wish to make, but for example, say hypothetically I invented the first PostIt. But I do not have a factory to create PosIts. My plan would consist of 2 steps. Step 1) I mix the glue concoction, and roll it onto the tops of paper pieces one by one. Then sell them as fast as I can make them. It's slow but I make some money. Step 2) Eventually I earn enough or get some investors to help mass produce it with a refined design.
Does that make sense? Or if I start making the product by hand, is moving to mass production hard to do, even if I have a patent, considering patents are all but useless in many cases....
I've heard of selling product ideas but I feel like I'd be scammed in that situation. Sorry if I'm asking a question that has already been answered. I am waiting for Unscripted to arrive in the mail, hopefully this weekend!
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
