The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

(Movie) The Founder (Ray Kroc McD's Story)

pds

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Apr 28, 2014
NYC
Synopsis: The true story of how Ray Kroc (Michael Keaton), a struggling salesman from Illinois, met Mac (John Carroll Lynch) and Dick McDonald (Nick Offerman), who were running a burger operation in 1950s Southern California. Kroc was impressed by the brothers' speedy system of making the food and saw franchise potential. Kroc soon maneuvers himself into a position to be able to pull the company from the brothers and create a multi-billion dollar empire.

Has anyone seen it? I never knew the background story of McDonalds and this movie did a great job of telling it within 60 minutes. I think anyone on this forum would appreciate the film.

I'm curious what you guys think of Ray Kroc.

In my opinion, I think Ray is the epitome of a true entrepreneur. He had great vision, persistence , and made difficult decisions (the right ones) when they had to be made to achieve the overall vision he had. He made decisions he believed right for the growth of the business, and has arguably been proven right.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
It's an OK movie.

I was expecting the movie to put Kroc in a bad light for stealing the system from the McDonald's brothers, but the movie seemed to stay unbiased for the most part.

What I didn't like was how they glossed over the building of the franchise process.

Kroc was essentially the founder of modern day franchising. Building a culture, process, systems, and procedures for control over franchisee's at the corporate level. Creating "buy-in" with his franchisee's in almost a cult like fashion.

Instead the movie only has one mention of how Kroc built the franchise system as a "family" (McDonald's still uses this terminology)

In reality this is what Kroc should be famous for, beyond building McDonald's into a multi-billion $ company.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
It's an OK movie.

I was expecting the movie to put Kroc in a bad light for stealing the system from the McDonald's brothers, but the movie seemed to stay unbiased for the most part.

What I didn't like was how they glossed over the building of the franchise process.

Kroc was essentially the founder of modern day franchising. Building a culture, process, systems, and procedures for control over franchisee's at the corporate level. Creating "buy-in" with his franchisee's in almost a cult like fashion.

Instead the movie only has one mention of how Kroc built the franchise system as a "family" (McDonald's still uses this terminology)

In reality this is what Kroc should be famous for, beyond building McDonald's into a multi-billion $ company.

Grinding It Out: The Making of McDonald's: Ray Kroc: 8601300195858: Amazon.com: Books

BradD

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Oct 11, 2013
Ottawa
Read the book years ago, great stuff, Kroc was a sales/marketing genius..

garyjsmith

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Jun 28, 2017
Northern VA
I think what made it a good movie was that it moved people to feel and had the human element, like a Pixar movie. He won, he lost, made hard decisions, was backed into a corner, and at times, did the same to others.

In writing this, I was going to bring up 'he did this' and 'he did that,' but that'd be judgmental on my part and in his shoes, I may have done the very same. There were definitely some parts that called for reflection.

G

Guest3722A

I like how at the end they show the captioned picture of the real woman who Kroc stole from one of his franchisees and married thereafter where the caption read that she GAVE AWAY his 1.something billion dollar fortune to the Salvation Army after he kicked off. Goes to show how 'loved' Kroc was

garyjsmith

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Jun 28, 2017
Northern VA
Is this was an example of Hollywood framing rich producers as evil as mentioned in Unscripted ? Was Ray right in overcoming the people/obstacles that kept him from growing, by being persistent? Steve Jobs seems like a similar character

AFMKelvin

Some Profound Quote Goes Here
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
I liked it. It showed how bad service was in most business back than and how McDonald's did something about it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.